Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€9,990 car for €5,000

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Well, I don't know about the OP but I'm pretty dense about cars so more likely to offer you 9k for a 5k car. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Caderyn wrote: »
    Also; do these bargains apply to 'I have a pocket full of cash, here it is right now' situations because I think I'd rather sleep on it and come back the next day for my bargain.. :confused:
    Under the pillow, or under the mattress? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I notice that a lot of cars on carzone are advertised at one price and the photos show a sticker price in the car's window that is five or six grand higher - is this genuine do you think or are dealers trying to give the impression that they have already hacked a huge lump off the price to limit the scope for negotiating a further discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I notice that a lot of cars on carzone are advertised at one price and the photos show a sticker price in the car's window that is five or six grand higher - is this genuine do you think or are dealers trying to give the impression that they have already hacked a huge lump off the price to limit the scope for negotiating a further discount?

It could well be to joe public who is not clued in on the current state of the market but to the person who does their homework it just means that the stock has been sitting there a while and that was the price when the photos were taken. Another give away is the photos themselves, some are taken during the summer months with people in the background in short sleave shirts, etc. :D

Some dealers will however take down the sticker prices when taking photos of their stock so that it doesn't appear like the car has been reduced due to lack of interest. These days it is normal to see stock on forecourts that have been sitting there since this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I looked at a car that was marked at 7.5k on the forecourt, I asked for a straight deal price and the salesman dropped to 5k straight away and was willing to do a deal around that price, I'd say it would have been bought for 4.5k.

For a car costing nearly 10k I go in offering 6.5 to 7k depending on the condition and how rare it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Neilw wrote: »
    I looked at a car that was marked at 7.5k on the forecourt, I asked for a straight deal price and the salesman dropped to 5k straight away and was willing to do a deal around that price, I'd say it would have been bought for 4.5k.

For a car costing nearly 10k I go in offering 6.5 to 7k depending on the condition and how rare it is.

I need to do this next week. But I was thinking about starting at 5K and haggling to a max of 6.5K if I really wanted the car.
    Unfortunately, I told my wife about this and she just started laughing at me and I now think it my not be such a good idea.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

You could always get a mate to go in and low ball the dealer and try get a price out of his mouth that he would be willing to let the car part with, then a week later you walk in the door knowing he would let it go at X price and you can work at lowering that even further.

Of course you run the risk of the car being sold in the mean time or he might not be so inclined to let it go cheap because of the "interest" shown in the car recently but it might be worth a pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

pipsqueak wrote: »
    thank you

well said pipsqeak, i think your dead right, all he can say is yes or f*ck off, so you walk away with nothing or you save a couple of thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Vikings wrote: »
    You could always get a mate to go in and low ball the dealer and try get a price out of his mouth that he would be willing to let the car part with, then a week later you walk in the door knowing he would let it go at X price and you can work at lowering that even further.

Of course you run the risk of the car being sold in the mean time or he might not be so inclined to let it go cheap because of the "interest" shown in the car recently but it might be worth a pop.
    Duurty! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Vikings wrote: »

Lol, that reminds me of a funny story.

I remember a friend of mine was buying his first car and he was asking me for advice. This was only April 08 and he had his heart set on a 02 Punto in a certain garage. They were asking €6k!!, madness i know. But the said they would do it for 4k as the salesman was thought by my friends father.

I went in to look at the car, and it was just in such,such bad condition. I tried to convince him not to buy it, but he wouldn't listen. I said if you must buy, get him lower than 4, and my friend said he was at his absolute last. So off he went and put a deposit down. The same day, i rang them and got him down from 6 for 3900 over the phone, needless to say, i was then able to convince my friend to buy else where:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ramm

whats your opinion on this please

looked at a 07 fiat doblo with price of 13950 on sat in a garage outside dublin.

its been listed since december and had 3 yr warranty included in price.

am genuinely interested, and would be looking for slight modification on it which garage were happy to organise.

however was told it was actually only 2 yrs, their mistake. fair enough.

so i said id be happy to pay about 12,500 cash allowing for the fact that the mileage was high enough, and the warranty was a 2 years not 3.

(i know of another 07 model, petrol not diesel with lower mileage and only looking for 9900, so i mentioned this. he wouldnt believe me , so i actually got in online for him.)

well the dealer chewed me up and spat me out once i mentioned that amount - he said that was an insult to him. i couldnt believe it and really was surprised with such an attitude. i ended up leaving then, as that attitude just was unbelievable, youd think i had offered him half .

anyway bottom line is i was willing to buy that car, and now he has lost a sale. if he had remained calm, and fair, maybe we could have agreed a price we were both happy with but to be honest with that agression i dont think i would have liked dealing with him again.

what do you make of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Listen if your happy with the deal and have done your homework then I¬d say go with it, people always want something for really cheap but in fairness the dealership isn`t going to give the car away.

Settle on what you think is a reasonable price to pay and then work from there.

Advertisement