Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please stop flashing your lights when I let you past

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

20goto10 wrote: »
    em I'm Irish and yeah I have actually. What are you suggesting, that because everyone does it it means its right? There are no car signals for gesturing thanks. None at all. I have occassionally put my hand up as a thank you, but even that is stupid especially the ones that look in the mirror when doing so until they get a response from the driver behind.
    What i'm suggesting is that nobody with experience of driving on Irish roads would say this:
    Thats your problem right there. There's nothing ambiguous about it at all. Flashing means aggression/warning in all cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Stark wrote: »
    For goodness sake. Please just read the rules of the road before you continue to incorrectly admonish everyone else.
    Yeah sorry Stark you're right, I think it might be 10am not 11am :rolleyes: Hows about you have a look at the rules and come back and point out whats ambiguous about flashing your lights and using your hazzards.
    Anan1 wrote:
    What i'm suggesting is that nobody with experience of driving on Irish roads would say this:
    Cion&#225 wrote: »
    Stark said it was ambiguous, because people use it for different reasons. Never said it was "right".
    Again, there's your problem right there. There's nothing ambiguous about it, people use them in the wrong circumstances. So I'm supposed to wonder, was that a thank you or a warning? Nonsense. Every flash and every hazzard light is a warning. So yes I spend most days avoiding hazards that don't exist and checking I have my lights on or maybe I have a flat or maybe there's something dangerous up ahead becasue some moron flashed me. It's bad driving that needs to be stamped out. And giving people the benefit of the doubt or allowing yourself open to the idea that its ok to use as a thank you gesture just feeds the ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Again, there's your problem right there. There's nothing ambiguous about it, people use them in the wrong circumstances.

Therefore it is ambiguous.

Cionád wrote: »
    Therefore it is ambiguous.
    Jesus f'ing christ!! There's nothing ambiguous about it. It has one meaning and one meaning only. Open the rules of the road and have a look. This is all you need to concern yourself with. Never ever should you be worried about whether another driver is using something or doing something in the right or wrong circumstances. That makes you a bad driver too. Dragged down by the ignorance of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Jesus f'ing christ!! There's nothing ambiguous about it. It has one meaning and one meaning only. Open the rules of the road and have a look. This is all you need to concern yourself with. Never ever should you be worried about whether another driver is using something or doing something in the right or wrong circumstances. That makes you a bad driver too. Dragged down by the ignorance of others.

Oh dear.

The fact that different drivers use it intending different meanings - regardless of whether these are the correct meaning - results in a situation where those of us observing the behavior can interpret these actions in different ways. The circumstance in which it occurs helps the observer interpret the behavior (if im flashed after letting a car through I would think he is thanking me. If I'm flashed because I'm driving with no lights on I would think the driver is warning me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Again, there's your problem right there. There's nothing ambiguous about it, people use them in the wrong circumstances.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ambiguous

Cionád wrote: »
    Oh dear.

The fact that different drivers use it intending different meanings - regardless of whether these are the correct meaning - results in a situation where those of us observing the behavior can interpret these actions in different ways. The circumstance in which it occurs helps the observer interpret the behavior (if im flashed after letting a car through I would think he is thanking me. If I'm flashed because I'm driving with no lights on I would think the driver is warning me).
    Uh gee gosh golly maybe I don't know what ambiguous means :rolleyes: Don't patronise me. I tell you what, do it during a driving test and see how far it gets you. What you just typed is utter nonsense. There's only one way to interpret a hazard warning.

Ironically someone using it has a thank you gesture could actually be classified as a hazard ;)

uhhhh duuuuuhhhh. Your point is?

you clearly don't get it. Neither do thousands of drivers on Irish roads. Therein lies the problem.

you clearly don't get it. Neither do thousands of drivers on Irish roads. Therein lies the problem.

Hence the ambiguity.
    uhhhh duuuuuhhhh. Your point is?

You're arguing about the semantics of a word when you seem to have a mistaken idea about what the word actually means.

Can you actually show me where it says you're supposed to use flashing lights to indicate aggression? Because you are just as incorrect as everyone else.

PS: the horn http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/using-a-horn.html . Since you were pedantic enough to bring up the subject of when it should be used (despite it being totally irrelevant to the thread).

Hence the ambiguity.

You're arguing about the semantics of a word when you seem to have a mistaken idea about what the word actually means.

Can you actually show me where it says you're supposed to use flashing lights to indicate aggression? Because you are just as incorrect as everyone else.
    Right I'll try and put it in simple words for those who are too thick to understand. In the case of using your lights as a warning signal there is one way and only one way to interpret it. There is no ambiguity. Its a warning, nothing else. To suggest there is ambiguity, that it can be interpreted to mean different things depending on the situation is, quite simply, wrong. You are being as ignorant as the idiot who is flashing his lights in praise.

What we have here is the fundamental problem on our Irish roads. People think there are the official rules and the unofficial rules. People think there are the rules you need to adhere to in order to pass your test and then there are the "other" rules that everyone adheres to once they get fully motoring. When somebody puts their hazard lights on or flashes you it means there is a hazard. To open yourself up to ambiguity or even think about what context it is meant in is bad practice and bad driving. Its a hazard warning, whether they meant it as that or not is completely irrelavent. So tell me again, actually listen to what I am saying if that is even within your capability, where is the ambiguity?

PS: the horn http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/using-a-horn.html . Since you were pedantic enough to bring up the subject of when it should be used (despite it being totally irrelevant to the thread).
    The link you've provided backs up what I was saying. So I got the hours wrong, well done - Woopie doo :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

20goto10 wrote:
    Right I'll try and put it in simple words for those who are too thick to understand. In the case of using your lights as a warning signal there is one way and only one way to interpret it. There is no ambiguity. Its a warning, nothing else. To suggest there is ambiguity, that it can be interpreted to mean different things depending on the situation is, quite simply, wrong. You are being as ignorant as the idiot who is flashing his lights in praise.

What we have here is the fundamental problem on our Irish roads. People think there are the official rules and the unofficial rules. People think there are the rules you need to adhere to in order to pass your test and then there are the "other" rules that everyone adheres to once they get fully motoring. When somebody puts their hazard lights on or flashes you it means there is a hazard. To open yourself up to ambiguity or even think about what context it is meant in is bad practice and bad driving. Its a hazard warning, whether they meant it as that or not is completely irrelavent. So tell me again, actually listen to what I am saying if that is even within your capability, where is the ambiguity?

There is no official rule that says that flashing lights are a warning signal. So how is it that everyone else is ignorant for interpreting them one way and you're in the right for interpreting them another way?
    20goto10 wrote:
    The link you've provided backs up what I was saying. So I got the hours wrong, well done - Woopie doo :rolleyes:

The point is to get your own facts right if you're going to start giving out to everyone about being wrong.

Advertisement