Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 or Xbox 360

Options
  • 08-01-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Howza Goin??:D

I'm looking for some help deciding what to buy a ps3 or an Xbox 360??:confused:

I havn't played enough of either to know whch is the better all round console??

I know the xbox is a good bit cheaper but does that mean the ps3 is a good bit better??

Which has the better games?? better online options etc.

Help will be much appriciated!! nice 1!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Do a search you lazy bum k?! Nice 1!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

360 ftw.!!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Buy both.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

qz wrote: »
    Do a search you lazy bum k?! Nice 1!!!!1

have and everytime i read something about them they always sound kinda the same and i just wondering is there any BIG difference (bar the price) in the 2??

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Holsten wrote: »
    Buy both.

Problem solved ha ha ha!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ZX Spectrum for the mother ****ing win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Kettle316 wrote: »
    Howza Goin??:D

I'm looking for some help deciding what to buy a ps3 or an Xbox 360??:confused:

I havn't played enough of either to know whch is the better all round console??

I know the xbox is a good bit cheaper but does that mean the ps3 is a good bit better??

Which has the better games?? better online options etc.

Help will be much appriciated!! nice 1!!

Not here. Worms. Everywhere.

Seriously, both great machines, no one can advise you on preference.

The only thing that will make any purchase worthwhile is what you play on it. Also, depending on your model and package, the 360 can work out quite cheaper than the PS3.

Consider the online options also. Personally I dont give a fart about online gaming, and in that respect I feel short changed by a lot of half-arsed next gen single player titles (speaking for my 360). Current debates should be available via google.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Both get all the multiplatform games, so I always judge consoles on their exclusives. Take a look at both and decide which you prefer.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to go 360. A year ago it'd be a shoe in, but the PS3 has picked up steam since then, the Xbox still would seem to be favoured by devs though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Seeing as the two main questions you asked were about games and online, the 360 sounds like your console. Though you have to pay for the online service via a subscription, it is definitely a more stable and complete online service. The PSN, the Playstation's online service is certainly no slouch. There are loads of quality games to be downloaded, as well as the fact that it is free.

Exclusive games are becoming a thing of the past almost, but, of whats out there now and coming soon, I think the PS3 has the better selection. LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Killzone 2, Wipeout HD...

The other aspect which may affect your choice is the media player aspect of each console. One of the reasons the PS3 is so expensive is its Blu-Ray player. If you have a HDTV or a HD-Ready TV, the PS3 is probably the best Blu-Ray player you can get for that price.

I own a PS3 myself and I love it. Will probably be getting a 360 for Fable 2 and Gears of War 2 at the end of this month when I get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

It's refreshing to see that this thread hasn't been taken over by fanboys from either camp slagging off the other console.

As people have already said, there aren't too many few exclusive games for PS3 or XBOX these days but if you're a serious gamer there are enough
    exclusives to consider investing in both, particularly with the arcade xbox 360 as cheap as it is now (PS3 is expensive I know but it's worth the money)

I've never found there to be any major difference between the online services of either. The only gripe I would have is having to pay for Xbox Live and the length of time the PS3 takes to download or update!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have all 3 consoles, the PS3 is built much better than the 360.

If you want something that lasts and the exclusives on 360 don't interest you then get a PS3 TBH.

It has a web browser too and you can plug a keyboard and mouse into it. It comes with built in WiFi (360 adapter is extortion).

In fact the main difference is the PS3 comes with everything you need for its price tag, the 360 comes with the basics which might do ya but you'll probably need to spend about another hundred euro or so on accessories just to get it hooked up properly.

You'd probably need a play and charge kit for 360 unless you like having loads of AA batteries and not being able to play when they die. PS3 come with this built in. WiFi is another example as stated above, comes with PS3 and costs about 70-90 euro for 360.

There are others like a hard drive if you only get the arcade but I'll leave it there.

PS3 menu system is also much nicer than the new revamped Xbox interface.

360 does have tons of games though. I've found I enjoy playing games on PS3 more though because I'm just used to the controller. It feels good to be told to press triangle instead of Y. The Sixaxis motion sensing is a big pile of donkey balls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I used to own a 360 which I sold as I was moving and needed some fast cash. I have subsequently bought a PS3 last summer, mostly due to it's Blu Ray capabilities but I have since bought a load of games for it. I am neither a PS3 or 360 fanboy, but I do definitely prefer the PS3. It's great for playing divx of TV shows and that that you can download on your PC, stick on to an external HD or USB stick and watch on your TV via the PS3.

I don't use the online capabilities of the PS3 much so can't really comment on playing games online.

The PS3 is definitely looks better than the 360 and is seriously quiet. You wouldn't even know it's own other than the green light and like others have already pointed out, it comes with everything (wifi, rechargable controllers) so you don't need to shell out for extra stuff.

At the end of the day, it all depends on what you want. I use mine mostly for watching divx's, blu rays and playing the odd game every now and then.

I only ever used by 360 for playing games.

my two cents.

TC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Like I said, if you can afford it get both.

But if you have to choose one over the other I'd have to agree with the previous two comments and say the PS3 is the one to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

TinCool wrote: »
    It's great for playing divx of TV shows and that that you can download on your PC, stick on to an external HD or USB stick and watch on your TV via the PS3.

You can do that on the 360 too.

I always say get the console your friends are playing. Going against your friends online is alot more fun than people you don't know. Plus you can swap games.

The PS3 supports more formats natively than 360 as far as I know.

Of course you can just use TVersity but if it needs to transcode, you suffer an awful quality drop.

The 360 does now support divx natively as well as WMV I think.

PS3 also allows you to copy files to the PS3's hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think you would be really disappointed if you bought either. If you have a gripe about the PS3's price then buy it up North.

I mean I got mine for 325e with 3 games (And I sold two of them for 40e each). So realistically I got a 80gb PS3 with LBP for 245e. Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I agree with Rizzla. If some of your friends have one or the other go for that. I have the 360 and have a few mates who have it as well and we always band together and get the same online games at the same time so we can get the most out of the banter.

I reckon both machines are really good. Blu ray is a deciding factor for lots of people. Great back catalogue on the 360 is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whilst the 360 collection is bigger (it has to be). I wouldn't want you getting the impression there are no PS3 games out there. Over 50% of games released are multiplatform for a start-I can name around 20 pretty decent ps3 games of the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

buy both seriously,dirt cheap.get mortgage if you are poor

seraphimvc wrote: »
    buy both seriously,dirt cheap.get mortgage if you are poor

You mean a loan, not a mortgage and it might be hard to get one for a console especially in the current climate :P

Why not just take software piracy into the real world and steal the consoles.

Then steal a policemans hat and sh*t in it, shoot the policeman, send the hat to the policemans grieving widow and then steal it again!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I think what your friends have should factor in the decision, as others have said. Nothing beats getting a few friends together and playing something. Though, having said that, you can make friends online :) Having a regular group of people you play with is *so* much fun.

Ideally I recommend having both, but if you're deciding between the two right now and like online gaming I'd probably say go for the 360. I play quite a lot online and it's all so nicely integrated (cross game invites and chat, 8 person party chats, good multiplayer games, nice integration with xbox.com). One tip though, don't pay Microsoft directly for Xbox Live, buy codes online, way way cheaper.

You can't go wrong with either tbh, check out the games available for both, see which way you're leaning, and talk to friends if they have either. If you buy a 360 and you have friends that all have PS3s and are playing stuff together, you'll probably be pretty bummed out you can't join them.

Either way, post an update which you're going for, and I'm sure we can all tell you which games we think are must haves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Have a look at the games you want to play, what console your friends have and how much you can spend and make a decision that way. As people have mentioned, the PS3 isn't as expensive when you take into account the extras you might need for the 360. Saying that though, maybe you won't need a wireless dongle for your 360 and the Premium and Elite come with hard drives, so you'd be sorted then. I have a PS3 and I love it, I'd have a 360 if they didn't charge for multiplayer. I know that might seem silly but as a PC gamer primarily you couldn't get me paying money to play a game online.
    brim4brim wrote: »
    Then steal a policemans hat and sh*t in it, shoot the policeman, send the hat to the policemans grieving widow and then steal it again!!!!! :D

I see we have an I.T. Crowd fan, goths are people too! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You mean a loan, not a mortgage and it might be hard to get one for a console especially in the current climate :P

Why not just take software piracy into the real world and steal the consoles.

IT crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 L37 fan

i think you should get both but not at the same time i have a ps3 & Xbox 360 and i lik Xbox bettr bcuz i just got it lik get both but i only buy exclusives for Xbox not multi-platform game as if it multi-platform ill get it for ps3 as online free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

I was a PS man up until about 12months ago. I've found the 360 has had a much better selection of games, and that the online gaming is far more enjoyable, and that Xbox Live is just designed better than that of its PS3 counterpart.

PS2 v Xbox - PS2 wins hands down

P33 v Xbox 360 - the result is reversed

Microsoft have won this round imho...

I think the PS3 is going to be stonger this year. What are the best upcoming games for 360 and PS3?

Killzone 2 is looking amazing and God of War 3.

Personally I've found the 360 lacks good platforming games. I have Super Mario Galaxy for Wii and Ratchet and Clank for PS3. I have nothing like that for 360 that I can think of at the moment anyway (too many games :( ) so can someone highlight an excellent 3D platforming game for 360?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Personally I've found the 360 lacks good platforming games. I have Super Mario Galaxy for Wii and Ratchet and Clank for PS3. I have nothing like that for 360 that I can think of at the moment anyway (too many games :( ) so can someone highlight an excellent 3D platforming game for 360?

Who needs 2D when you have Braid, N+, Exit and Bionic Commando in only 2 dimensions on the 360. In 3D it has Banjo Tooie and Kameo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I bought a 360 to play GATIV and I've played nothing else on it because tbh if you already have a gaming pc then the 360 is just a poor relation to it. Nearly everything that comes out on the 360 is available on the PC and for any FPS the mouse is infinitely better than a xbox controller imo, add to that FREE online multiplayer on the PC and customisation options and i can see no good reason to buy games for the 360 which are available on PC. The only strongpoints the 360 has is that you know the game will play 99% of the time (stupid vista :mad:) and its cheaper to maintain than a gaming rig

Sure driving games are better with a controller than keyboard but my PC has a flight yoke rig which is better than both. :D

So yeah if i was buying a console again I'd be tempted down the PS3 route. Actually i wouldnt buy any console and save the cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

I have an Xbox(well, I dont have it as its away getting fixed, but you get the idea) - personally I would go for a PS3 next time around. Xbox have a huge problem with reliability (i.e. "Red Ring of Death), you have to pay for a yearly subscription for online gaming(which a lot of the time Ive found is useless - trying to play 1vs1 with a friend in GTA - could never get it working; lots of games dropped on CoD etc.), wireless adapter is an extra charge for 360 and as mentioned before PS3 supposedly has the charger for the controllers(extra charge for 360).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

360. its got better exclusive games and online play

Advertisement