Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 or Xbox 360

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They're both pretty much the same price (after you buy all the 'optional' extras for the 360), they both play pretty much the same games. They are both excellent media players. Ps3 has blu-ray, xbox does not.

I don't see what the fuss is about really. They're 95% the same thing. The ps3 has blu-ray, which personally speaking I couldn't care less about. Perhaps current day 360's are decent, but mine (built in November 2006) is currently away in Germany being fixed for a second time. Had a launch day console which died with RROD and was replaced. The reliability on them is TERRIBLE, although I'm not sure the ps3 has amazing reliability either.

Couple the reliability issues with the stupid amounts Microsoft charge for network adapters, play and charge kits, xbox live subscriptions and I'd probably get a ps3 if I were to buy again. Only games that would swing it for me are GTA and Fifa and neither of them are exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

DOnt forget the exclusive DLC for the 360. There mightn't be tons of it but there is enough good stuff (albeit overpriced) I got my 360 for Oblivion way back in the day but even had it been out for the PS3 at the time I just like the 360 better. The only reason I would consider jumping ship to Sony is Little Big Planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

360. its got better exclusive games and online play

iI'd say PS3 for the same reason. MGS4, LBP, Uncharted, Valkrya Chronicles, Uncharted, Ratchett and Clank, Siren Blood Curse, Gran Turismo, Wipeout HD, Resistance 2, Motorstorm. (God of war and Killzone to come)/

I haven't played many of the 360 exclusives though outside of Halo 3 and GOW2. I know there are a few RPGS though.
    They're both pretty much the same price (after you buy all the 'optional' extras for the 360), they both play pretty much the same games. They are both excellent media players. Ps3 has blu-ray, xbox does not.

I don't see what the fuss is about really. They're 95% the same thing. The ps3 has blu-ray, which personally speaking I couldn't care less about. Perhaps current day 360's are decent, but mine (built in November 2006) is currently away in Germany being fixed for a second time. Had a launch day console which died with RROD and was replaced. The reliability on them is TERRIBLE, although I'm not sure the ps3 has amazing reliability either.

Couple the reliability issues with the stupid amounts Microsoft charge for network adapters, play and charge kits, xbox live subscriptions and I'd probably get a ps3 if I were to buy again. Only games that would swing it for me are GTA and Fifa and neither of them are exclusive.

Agreed regarding how similar they are. However RROD is a problem far and beyond any reliability issues Sony's console has. I think you need only check out the size of the RROD thread in the XBOX forum.

The 360 online stores is alot better than PSN though. PSN doesn't get updated nearly enough whereas the LIVE updates are far more frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CapRooney

in fairness though there is alot of shovelware on live arcade. I really don't want to be paying 8 euro for some rehashed 16 bit game. plus those microsoft points are a joke. couldn't they just use real currency instead of ripping off the consumers with their own currency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Live arcade is bollocks. About 90% of the games on it could be removed and nobody would notice. It is just small budget, put anything on it type games.

Wii has the best online store TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How does MS points translate into real currency, whats the concersion rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CapRooney

its €1.20 for 100 points but the where they catch you is you can only buy in blocks of points like 400, 1200 etc.. where on the psn if something costs let's 7.99 you don't have to add 10 euro to your wallet you can just add 7.99. way better service if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

smooch71 wrote: »
    Like I said, if you can afford it get both.

But if you have to choose one over the other I'd have to agree with the previous two comments and say the PS3 is the one to go for.

Why? What a silly comment..

Don't waste your money on both, it's senseless. I rather the xbox, but it's microsoft and they are thieves. Simple as.

CapRooney wrote: »
    its €1.20 for 100 points but the where they catch you is you can only buy in blocks of points like 400, 1200 etc.. where on the psn if something costs let's 7.99 you don't have to add 10 euro to your wallet you can just add 7.99. way better service if you ask me.

exactly, you always end up with left over Ms points after buying something (almost always anyway).

Everytime I want something I end up with enough points for a smaller crap game afterwards which I inevitably use because I can't see anything else of interest. Until next time and cycle repeats :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Brugha

Ah, another 360 v Ps3 thread. Well what do you want from your console? The xbox 360 is a gaming console with a subscription fee to xboxlive which is a good quality online service. It has some good exclusive shooters like Halo 3 and Gears of War.

If you want a home entertainment system with free internet and already built in WiFi, that you can upgrade it's hard-drive with any laptop hard-drive, put it on a WLAN and wirelessly stream videos, images and music from your pc, with a wide variety of good games avaible from Metal gear Solid to Gran Turismo to LittleBigPlanet.

I think the main choice is how much do you want and how much are you willing to spend,
    If it's just gaming with limited budget you want buy a 360
    If you want a big powerfull hardcore gaming and entertainment system with a Blu-Ray player get a Ps3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

It really comes down to personal preferences. I have both and would favour the xbox over the ps3 by quite a margin.

It really comes down to what you want it for. If its purely games and online play, i'd say 360 as it has (for me) a far better game selection. i own about 20 360 games and about 50% of them are either exclusives or were exclusive for several months to a year. It is also a fantastic media centre type device, as it streams all my xvids wirelessly to my tv with very little buffering or interference (something which i cannot say about the ps3, the wireless streaming for me on ps3 is atrocious but then that could just be my setup).

The ps3 on the other hand has a bluray player. If watching hi-def films is a big factor than get the ps3. I got mine purely as a bluray player and it dosn't disapoint. i got it for €250 in tesco when they had 40% off electronics and figured i'd be just as well getting that as it was a similar enough price to the standalones and its definitly updatable.

If the ps3 and 360 were similar price points it would be a much harder decision imo as the xbox has advantages in a bigger game library but the ps3 has the advantage of a hi-def bluray player.
    But at nearly half the price for a 60gb 360 with a few games depending where you buy, than the 360 would be the more attractive option imo.

Also, the fact the ps3 no longer plays ps2 games dissapointed me greatly as i never had a ps2 and theres a huge library of games i would love to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tírghrá

PS3 thats just simple, i have both and the games releases in the future are all gonna be PS3, plus the best game EVER is on PS3, Metal Gear Solid 4! you havent played a game till you played this. Even talk of a 5th:D ( also only be on PS3)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RalphieG

It really depends on your preference for the exclusive games for each system.

I have both & always buy the 360 version when they are multiformat. Eurogames does good comparisons between the two versions - here is an example for GTA IV: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grand-theft-auto-iv-ps3-vs-xbox-360-special-article

Honestly the 360 suits me better but if you are a big Metal Gear fan (or any other Sony exclusives) the answer should be simple!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Brugha wrote: »
    Ah, another 360 v Ps3 thread. Well what do you want from your console? The xbox 360 is a gaming console with a subscription fee to xboxlive which is a good quality online service. It has some good exclusive shooters like Halo 3 and Gears of War.

If you want a home entertainment system with free internet and already built in WiFi, that you can upgrade it's hard-drive with any laptop hard-drive, put it on a WLAN and wirelessly stream videos, images and music from your pc, with a wide variety of good games avaible from Metal gear Solid to Gran Turismo to LittleBigPlanet.

I think the main choice is how much do you want and how much are you willing to spend,
    If it's just gaming with limited budget you want buy a 360
    If you want a big powerfull hardcore gaming and entertainment system with a Blu-Ray player get a Ps3.
    Correct me if Im wrong but AFAIK you can open the HD case for the 360 and slot in a SATA HD if you want. It wont void the warranty for the console either.

I can't comment on Home but the 360's Avatars are just a crap rip off of Mii's that serve no point whatsoever.

I use my 360 for games only so I have no need of its DVD playback function let alone having to go buy all my DVDs again in Blu-Ray but if thats your thing you can't go wrong with a PS3 its a very cheap BD player.

Basically if I was deciding again I would look at what games are on each machine before I bought my new games console. I want to play games Im not particularly interested in watching movies and curing cancer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

fitz0 wrote: »
    Correct me if Im wrong but AFAIK you can open the HD case for the 360 and slot in a SATA HD if you want. It wont void the warranty for the console either. QUOTE]

No you can't, the hard disks habe some security thingies built it. Has to be an MS drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭dubrov

I did a bit or research myself before I bought. The games catalogue is almost identical for both with the 360 having a few key exclusives.

As already mentioned, the 360 is way cheaper but can quickly approach the ps3 when you add in extras you may or not need like a wireless adaptor.

You need to pay for Xbox Live while PS3 online is free. Xbox live is a much better service hoever.

PS3 is better a a media server as it can play more file types and is much quieter than the 360. I hear the new Jasper 360 is much quieter now though.

I would say if you just want the console for gaming then the 360 is way better as it is about half the price and has a slightly better catalogue. It's just too loud to be a high-en media server though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

hi, i had a ps3 and didnt like the console. i did before that have a 360 and with all the hype surrounding the ps3 i bought a top of the range 60 gb ps3 i got ripped off pricewise and got peed with it so sold it and again bought the 360 and believe me the 360 is the much better console with games like gears of war and fable 2 i advise anyone 360 all the way!!!!!!!!!!

so i have experience of both and my verdict is by far buy the xbox 360!! good luck to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 davidhall747

I CANT DECIDE EITHER

Well the 360 is crap build quality wise. It is noisy and all the accessories quickly add up.

If you want the exclusives on the console, I'd say go for it though.

The PS3 is built well comparatively and the software is okay but has some issues.

If you want the PS3's exclusives like Gran Turismo and MGS4 then it will be worth it.

I have both and find I use the 360 for games more but that the PS3 gets a bit of play in home poker at the moment (just finished MGS4) and I use it for videos all the time but I play 360 online where as I never play the PS3 online really. MGS4 online was okay but there aren't enough people playing it.

Advertisement