Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job market in NZ

Options
  • 08-01-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Thinking of heading to New Zealand on a working holiday visa at the end of 2009. What is the job market likein NZ at the moment? Was thinking of basing myself in Auckland. Are people finding it easy enough to get casual / short term work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

as long as you dont intend staying on, it seems alright to get a job here... i know myself and watna both got jobs within the last year, i applied for two jobs, one with kids, one with the elderly, and was offered work with both, and watna went with, i think a recruitment place, and got a job pretty quickly from there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yep, I got a job pretty quickly. Neither of us are in Auckland though. I have been here for about 7 months though so it may be a bit harder now. In my opinion (and this is only my opinion, not fact, I can't stress that enough) there still seems to be jobs around. However, obviously at the moment nobody can give you an guarantees.

I think if you are willing to be flexible and don't expect to earn near your euro salary then it's worth a shot.

Check out www.seek.co.nz for jobs. Most places won't look at your application until your in the country but it'd be good to look at to give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Thanks for the replies guys. Suppose I'll have to suss it out nearer the time and have good reserves just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I can recommend Madison Recruitment in Auckland, they found me my job fairly quickly. Pretty easy to deal with, they place you in the company in question who was looking for workers, and Madison pays you directly, not the company hiring you. Weirdly arranged but did the job. www.madison.co.nz , worth sending in your CV to all the recruitment agencies. Also there's Kelly Recruitment but I found them awful ignorant. They told me straight up, "yeah all you'll get it bar work, accept it and take the offer" so I told them to f*** off and left.
    Ended up working in a Westpac call centre for $18 an hour which by NZ standards is not bad at all seeing as my g/f was working in retail for $12 starting then up to $13 p/hour.

Advertisement