Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Course

Options
  • 08-01-2009 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hey, Im doing my only doing my Junior Cert but I was wondering what would be the best course for general programming e.g C,C++,Java. Also,what programming language would you reccomend to a complete beginner, as in somone who doesnt even know how programs are made?Links and tutorials would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 I_Love_Tomatoes

This is probably a bit high level for a beginner but sure no harm in learning anyway....

Download this: http://www.microsoft.com/express/vcsharp/Default.aspx

Google for any tutorial at all on beginning C#... and away you go. Half the battle is learning the IDE (that's the development environment). Concentrate on solving basic algorithms in the beginning (like 2x2=4...)... learn the syntax of the language, and don't be worrying too much about the graphical aspects.

The other option is to try to find yourself a free C Compiler. C would be a great one to begin with but it can wreck your head if you haven't got someone to show you the nooks and crannies. I started with COBOL but I wouldn't bother with that in your case. We then did Visual Basic (now VB.Net), then C, C++...

Syntax wise, C# will be very similar to Java, but I really like the Microsoft environment and as there is plenty on the internet to walk you through it, you should be away in a hack.

Good luck. I was your age when I started donkeying around with Basic on my Commodore Amiga. Hadn't a bloody clue what I was doing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 I_Love_Tomatoes

forgot to say, learn what the following words mean:
    Compile (verb), Debug (verb), compiler, execute, exception, exe

And the basic data types in most languages: int, string, char... I could go on, but that is usually enough for your first program.

Without knowing what those mean, you will be a bit lost reading any tutorial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Research the language "Pascal". It was invented to teach people programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Ya Pascal is a good one to start with. Java is also a good language, but pascal may be best for starting. There should be plenty off free Pascal tutorials online as it is old and not used much now. If you want to get into java, I think buying a book would be good, such as Head First Java and / or Sam's Java 6 in 21 days. I have both and they are good. Head First java would be good for you I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

apc wrote: »
    Hey, Im doing my only doing my Junior Cert but I was wondering what would be the best course for general programming e.g C,C++,Java. Also,what programming language would you reccomend to a complete beginner, as in somone who doesnt even know how programs are made?Links and tutorials would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,

When you say course, do you mean an online course, or one you attend? If it is the latter, over what timeframe? (i.e. 10 weeks, or something a bit longer?)

When I was your age, I was playing around learning BASIC on my Transputer Megatron Alpha2, so it is not unheard of to get yourself a few books and start teaching yourself. That's what I did.

I don't think there are many places still teaching Pascal any more. Java appears to be the language used to teach these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Cobol, Pascal and Amiga. Some of you guys must be as old as me haha.

All good advice above for the young man.

If you want learn programming then Pascal is a good one.
    There is a free programming kit here: http://www.bloodshed.net/devpascal.html

Some other languages like C# and Java are great but there is too much to take in for a beginner. The tools are too complicated in my opinion

If you pick something very simple it will let you focus on the logicial aspects of the programming language.

Also try to read about the difference between top down programming and structured programming.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Definately 2nd (or is it 4th or 5th at this stage) about PASCAL. As with the lads I learned Basic back in 1989 on an Amstrad CPC 464 which my gran won with Milk tokens (I kid you not ;) )

PASCAL was what we started with in college, if I was you then I would look at C++ as it will give you a great basis in programming.
    If you want some web development learn HTML and CSS.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The great thing about Pascal is how distraction-free it is. There's no "public static void main(String[] args)" distracting you from the start.

Pascal won't teach you object oriented programming, but you know what, that's probably a good thing. It'll teach you the basics - and more.

I know a lot of people who started with Java and as a result now find programming very intimidating - they should have started with simple Pascal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Another good route would be to start off with a proper "scripting language"
    like Python.

These are interpreted on the fly and removes the messiness of compiling and linking code and lets you focus more on learning programming.
    I would leave compiled languages like C/C++/Java till a later to be honest.

Try and get a feel for general "feel" for programming concepts like conditionals, loops ect.
    Lastly, best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I used this book to learn C-programming, and I found it absolutely brilliant:-

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565923065/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭chocolate boy123

Hi little of topic but said I'd put this here, starting college in September doing a 4 year course. I will learn Java , php , JavaScript , MySQL , Css and HTML. What I'm wondering is, is this enough to get a decent job? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭dmc17

Hi little of topic but said I'd put this here, starting college in September doing a 4 year course. I will learn Java , php , JavaScript , MySQL , Css and HTML. What I'm wondering is, is this enough to get a decent job? Thank you.

Assuming you are interested in programming and learn the fundamentals well, you should have no problem getting a decent job or learning new languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

No.

You need to be able to solve problems, to work with other people, to be able to explain your ideas both verbally and in writing, to be able to think on your feet. And, of course, program. So the technologies are assumed, but the other stuff is critical to get a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Cobol, Pascal and Amiga. Some of you guys must be as old as me haha.

pfhhhh you and your Amiga, Commodore 16, BBC micro and ZX80.

Strangely first commercial job after graduation was PL/1 (1994)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If you wan't to learn check out https://www.thenewboston.com/videos.php

Advertisement