Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ripped off!! Because shes a woman???

Options
  • 08-01-2009 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

My wife rang me today and said she though her brakes felt a bit funny. After she explained what she was feeling i told her it souned like she needed new brakes on the front. She said F~%K how much will that set us back. I said relax its only about €80. she called me after going to the tyre and brake place in our village and said he wanted €130, I called the one at blakes cross and he quoted €74.
    Question is did the first tyre & brake garage thingy place try to rip her offf because they though a woman is a soft touch when it comes to cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Nobody but the guy in your local tyre & brake place can answer that. Are you sure they were both quoting for exactly the same work - for example front pads only on the exact same car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Yes she took her can to the second place and had it fix. the same day, today.€74 Its only front brake pads!!! buy the way her car was on the ramp in the first trye place and she took it back to go to the one at blakes cross

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

call them up yourself in a few days and give them the exact same specs as your wife did. see what they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Or how about they just charge more for their services? Maybe price hikes due to the recession?

Moral of story: It pays off to shop around.

Or how about they just charge more for their services? Maybe price hikes due to the recession?

Moral of story: It pays off to shop around.

Nah, Tyre place person looked at her, rubbed his hands together and said here's another woman.. How much will i charge today!!

• Advertisement

Nah, Tyre place person looked at her, rubbed his hands together and said here's another woman.. How much will i charge today!!
    If that's what you want to think then fair enough. Based on what you've told us, however, it's impossible to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

why ask the question when you seem to have the answer?

being honest anything over 100 for changing pads is too much €30 (spurious) for pads €50 for labour...

i do know mechanics (male) would generally kinda dismiss a woman knowing much about cars i my experience but they would generally charge as much as males.

lot of guys know feck all about cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

What kind of car is it? A merc, bmw, lada etc? Prices vary.

cronin_j wrote: »

being honest anything over 100 for changing pads is too much €30 (spurious) for pads €50 for labour...
    A main ford dealer is even cheaper than that!:eek:

Plug wrote: »
    A main ford dealer is even cheaper than that!:eek:

They do now...lol

ford parts are generally cheap (cost wise) anyway compared to other makers

• Advertisement

Is not what this site is about? Random thoughts??? I not really thats pi#\ed off.
    Just looking for a bit of chat & stuff. Sorry if it bothers you!!

Is not what this site is about? Random thoughts??? I not really thats pi#\ed off.

didnt bother me at all it just seemed like you had closed your mind to the fact she might not have.

My father and brother are mechanics and i know alot of mechanics and i do see that they would normally ask whats up with the car when they come in but do alot more investigating than if i guy came in and described something. Tend to notice that women get looked after better but are treated like they know very little.

you did the right thing by ringing around and the quicker garages cop on to the fact people arent eegits and are watching the pennys now the sooner we'll all get looked after better, men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That's either defined by this
    can_of_worms.jpg

Or trolling lol

DNFTT

That's either defined by this
    can_of_worms.jpg

Or trolling lol
    Trolling
    Application of the term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The term is often used to discredit an opposing position Need I say more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Your argument doesn't stack up. Some of the folks I've had the hardest time explaining things to in relation to their car is men. Women are often clued in more than men, because they will listen to and accept what you are trying to explain to them, as opposed to pretending that they know everything, which is the approach usually taken by men, when it comes to vehicle aftersales.

Your conspiracy theory fails in my opinion OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Trolling
    Application of the term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The term is often used to discredit an opposing position Need I say more?

I'm going to obey the rest of the paragraph that you didn't quote
    Experienced participants in online forums know that the most effective way to discourage a troll is usually to ignore him or her, because responding tends to encourage trolls to continue disruptive posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

i do know mechanics (male) would generally kinda dismiss a woman knowing much about cars i my experience but they would generally charge as much as males.

lot of guys know feck all about cars...

Women will listen and accept your advice, men generally won't. To the poster above, can you take the time to acquaint yourself with accurate terminlogy before using stupid phrases like "spurious" in the above context?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Sure why shouldn't he, he's out to make money he can charge what he wants, its up to your wife if she pays or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Women will listen and accept your advice, men generally won't. To the poster above, can you take the time to acquaint yourself with accurate terminlogy before using stupid phrases like "spurious" in the above context?

Are the words spurious and approximately being confused there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Getting back on topic, as a female driver, I would say that some do, and some don't.

When I was very young I was done a few times in a couple of garages. I didn't go back to them, and I got a bit more savvy. I'm now more likely to walk away if someone quotes me over the odds.

On the other hand male friends of mine have paid more than they should have for certain things. So in answer to your question:

Some garages will up prices for young female drivers.
    Some garages will up prices for anyone "they see coming".
    Some garages are just more expensive than others.
    Some garages are decent, have a price list, and stick to it.

When I mention upping prices, I'm including "doing/claiming to do unnecessary/unwanted work" in that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I find this a problem in main dealerships..........my local toyota dealer left me waiting 20 minutes to be seen while the staff were milling around joking with one another, same issue with Honda in another small town in Cork - for this reason I'll only deal with a select few in Cork, but if I send my father down with my car, they're all over him like a bloody rash......is my money not as good as some guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

cjmcork wrote: »
    I find this a problem in main dealerships..........my local toyota dealer left me waiting 20 minutes to be seen while the staff were milling around joking with one another, same issue with Honda in another small town in Cork - for this reason I'll only deal with a select few in Cork, but if I send my father down with my car, they're all over him like a bloody rash......is my money not as good as some guys?

i would stand up and walk out !
    my local toyota doesnt seem that bad - but i suppose im looking at it from a different angle (and sex:))
    </guy>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

Brian, which Tyre and Brake place did you go to at Blakes Cross?

I'm in that area, and need the same thing done, plus new discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Could also have been down to the brand of pads supplied. You can easily get a €50 difference between brands. Believe me there is some cheap sh1t out there, won't last more than 10k miles, squeak like mad.

samhail wrote: »
    i would stand up and walk out !
    my local toyota doesnt seem that bad - but i suppose im looking at it from a different angle (and sex:))
    </guy>

with the toyota place I did, which kills me cos I'd LOVE an avensis..........

cjmcork wrote: »
    which kills me cos I'd LOVE an avensis..........
    That's the first time i've ever heard anybody say that.

ah jaysus, I don't look for much really!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Anan1 wrote: »
    That's the first time i've ever heard anybody say that.

I think you get a sticker in the back window and a special parking space for such a condition.

Advertisement