Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ripped off!! Because shes a woman???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

excuse me, that's a bit much, don't you think.......I might have one of those stickers for all you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Darragh29 wrote: »
    To the poster above, can you take the time to acquaint yourself with accurate terminlogy before using stupid phrases like "spurious" in the above context?
    Are the words spurious and approximately being confused there?

I've heard term "spurious" used by mechanics, motor factors and others in the trade. Refers to after-market or patterned parts; ie copies of OEM parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

cjt156 wrote: »
    I've heard term "spurious" used by mechanics, motor factors and others in the trade. Refers to after-market or patterned parts; ie copies of OEM parts.

Quite right. In fairness Darragh29, you might want to acquaint yourself with terminology that is (rightly or wrongly) in common use in your trade. I've heard it many, many times, all around this fine country of ours.

Not all are cunning linguists.

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Not true,

VW MAF Filter would be an OEM Part
    Original Equipment Manufacturer

Bosch MAF Filter - Same part but not with a VW Badge on it would be a spurious part, not OEM but the perception is that the part is made cheaply in china or somewhere by some company called volkzvoogen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

I think he was being pedantic.

Spurious from the dictionary:"not genuine, authentic, or true"

Seeing as i grew up in a mechanics family, i am well aware of the term and how its used in the trade.

Anyway this is a little off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Well surely it would only be spurious if the mechanic claimed it to be OEM when it wasn't. Does spurious not imply some element of dishonesty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Well surely it would only be spurious if the mechanic claimed it to be OEM when it wasn't. Does spurious not imply some element of dishonesty?

In the literal sense of the word yes it would.. But in the motor trade a suprious part is one that doesnt come from the main stealer so to speak.

its funny really as lets say in the case of this ladys brake problem. The mechanic could have went down to the dealer and got the OEM part. You could go to a motorfactors and get brakes from a company say "blue print" when the OEM part could still be made by Blue Print but with a Dealer badge on it and an inflated price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

If labor is about 50 euro and pads are 24 euro.(74 yoyos) are people saying the original pads for the car are not 24 but 84 Euro so its right to ask for 130 Euro?? Before you say yes. I cant believe the difference can be 60 euro,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If labor is about 50 euro and pads are 24 euro.(74 yoyos) are people saying the original pads for the car are not 24 but 84 Euro so its right to ask for 130 Euro?? Before you say yes. I cant believe the difference can be 60 euro,

You wouldn't believe the difference between some OEM and Spurious parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Quite right. In fairness Darragh29, you might want to acquaint yourself with terminology that is (rightly or wrongly) in common use in your trade. I've heard it many, many times, all around this fine country of ours.l
    So have I, but nowhere else in the world apart from here. Elsewhere it tends not to be used for inanimate objects, but only for abstract things, e.g. a spurious argument or (in my line of work, IT) a spurious interrupt, say.

I thought it sounded just "wrong" when I first heard it used in this context, and still do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Alun wrote: »
    So have I, but nowhere else in the world apart from here.

Yes, but they don't have gob****es and langers in those other places either. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Mechanics use the word spurious to refer to a part which is a copy of an OEM part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

craichoe wrote: »
    Not true,

VW MAF Filter would be an OEM Part
    Original Equipment Manufacturer

Bosch MAF Filter - Same part but not with a VW Badge on it would be a spurious part, not OEM but the perception is that the part is made cheaply in china or somewhere by some company called volkzvoogen

VW MAF Filter would be an Genuine Part (made by an OEM such as Bosch but sold through vehicle manufacturer's official parts channel)

Bosch MAF Filter would be an OEM Part made exactly the same spec and quality as the Genuine Part but sold via a separate channel such as motor factors.

volkzvoogen would be a spurious part not made by an OEM and may or may not be up to the same quality.

Advertisement