Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Streaming on Blackberry via Slingbox

• 08-01-2009 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Have a Blackberry Bold Device and downloaded the Sling Media Beta Version of Sling Mobile for Blackberry. Works great via wiFi connection on the BB -- perfectly streamed TV to the unit from my Sling Box set at home. Problem is that I cannot get a connection via a 3G connection on the Vodafone Network.

Any Suggestions or Ideas appreciated . Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

what access point are you using?

i doubt it'll work through the live access point so you should use the isp one.

but make sure that you have some kind of data plan that works with the isp access point or you'll be bankrupted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭stoneroses

Have a call into Vodfone re Data Plan etc. -- don't want a horror story with that one.

Not sure what you mean re what acces point I'm using.

if you go into your internet settings you'll find settings something along the lines of these (but with slightly different names for the same things):

connection name:Vf ISP
    data bearer: packet data
    APN:isp.vodafone.ie
    username:vodafone
    prompt password:no
    password:vodafone
    authentication:normal
    homepage:http://www.vodafone.ie
    network type:IPv4
    phone IP address:automatic
    name servers (DNS): automatic
    proxy address:none
    proxy port:0

but instead of the APN (access point node) being isp.vodafone.ie it'll be live.vodafone.com.

the live access point has a lot of stuff blocked on it whereas nothing is blocked on isp as far as i've seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    if you go into your internet settings you'll find settings something along the lines of these (but with slightly different names for the same things):

connection name:Vf ISP
    data bearer: packet data
    APN:isp.vodafone.ie
    username:vodafone
    prompt password:no
    password:vodafone
    authentication:normal
    homepage:http://www.vodafone.ie
    network type:IPv4
    phone IP address:automatic
    name servers (DNS): automatic
    proxy address:none
    proxy port:0

but instead of the APN (access point node) being isp.vodafone.ie it'll be live.vodafone.com.

the live access point has a lot of stuff blocked on it whereas nothing is blocked on isp as far as i've seen
    They may need provision this on your account. Call Vodafone customer care and say "please transfer me to data support". Then when you get through to data support say "Please provision the ISP Access Point on my account".

If you are on billpay make sure you have a data plan or your bill will be massive. Then even with a data plan keep an eye on your usage. You can use up megs and megs really quickly with a Slingbox. 1MB (a meg .. sorry lol) can be approx €10 without a data addon and the SLingbox could run up about €10/€20 a minute !

This worked nicely for me the last day and got the job done. First time I think I've dealt with Vodafone Data Support agent (I've been told I'm speaking to them before, but I haven't been) and the chap knew his stuff and even gave me his name if I needed anything else.

Random wrote: »
    They may need provision this on your account. Call Vodafone customer care and say "please transfer me to data support". Then when you get through to data support say "Please provision the ISP Access Point on my account".

i've only ever had to do that on meteor, no one i've dealt with on vodafone has ever said they couldn't use the isp apn because it wasn't active

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »
    If you are on billpay make sure you have a data plan or your bill will be massive. Then even with a data plan keep an eye on your usage. You can use up megs and megs really quickly with a Slingbox. 1MB (a meg .. sorry lol) can be approx €10 without a data addon and the SLingbox could run up about €10/€20 a minute !

and if you're not on bill pay don't use it at all. the only option for isp on pre pay is 19c per mb and it uses about a MB a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Hi, Just looking for an update on Vodafone blocking sling.

I can access sling on my phone using any wifi networ.
    however i can't using any of the vodafone options (Live!, ISP etc)

Anyone know if vodafone are blocking mobile sling access??

Advertisement