Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Going To Court...

Options
  • 09-01-2009 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere but I couldn’t see anywhere else! I’m really just looking for general advice on the following;

I got stopped at a check point in the summer and foolishly I hadn’t got my licence with me. So I was requested to hand it in to my local Garda station along with my registration cert within 10 days.
    ok now I did all the above, however, I recently received a summons for driving without insurance on the date I was stopped! Thing is my insurance disk was in date and I have my insurance cert to prove it! I also don’t recall being requested to hand this in with my licence and registration (that’s not to say it didn’t happen)
    I’ve never been to court and never needed a solicitor before. So I simply ask you good people...

1) Has anyone experienced anything similar?

And 2) will a solicitor cost and arm and leg?!

p.s. I also suffer from stage fright (like Gareth Gates on a bad trip) so I really don’t want to stand up in court and speak to a judge in a room full of people!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

[/FONT] OFF:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just get your documents proving it was in date from your insurance company.
    If it was in date then you've nothing to worry about.

Get ur da to do the talking for you or someone else that will do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Go enquire about legal aid. A lot of bigger towns throughout Ireland have them. Or the citizens advice bureau. Never had what you described happen to me but i have received summons before with extra stuff or different stuff on them. Think the guards just make up whatever they want. Most of the time they don't show up and it gets thrown out. Mainly for smaller offenses. But you will be called up in front of a packed room. only the front row will hear you talk anyways. Nobody is paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

YoungNeil wrote: »
    Sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere but I couldn’t see anywhere else! I’m really just looking for general advice on the following;

I got stopped at a check point in the summer and foolishly I hadn’t got my licence with me. So I was requested to hand it in to my local Garda station along with my registration cert within 10 days.
    ok now I did all the above, however, I recently received a summons for driving without insurance on the date I was stopped! Thing is my insurance disk was in date and I have my insurance cert to prove it! I also don’t recall being requested to hand this in with my licence and registration (that’s not to say it didn’t happen)
    I’ve never been to court and never needed a solicitor before. So I simply ask you good people...

p.s. I also suffer from stage fright (like Gareth Gates on a bad trip) so I really don’t want to stand up in court and speak to a judge in a room full of people!

I'm sorry to inform you, but it's the chair for you. Beg for forgiveness off whatever God you believe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In before thie move. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Go talk to the garda before this gets to court. It'll be dropped.

If what you say is true, the district court judge will be livid with the garda and embarrass them in front of everyone.
    So you can stop it getting that far

Either that or the gallows in Mountjoy for you my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

YoungNeil wrote: »

Well getting a solicitor would be a complete waste of money, but if your not confident then do.

Dress smart!

you will be ok, go in with your insurance disk and cert, and tell the judge that you werent asked to produce your insurance, as you would have as you were already in there providing evidence of your other documents. the judge will see you had insurance on the date and you will be ok.

Oh ya always address the judge and not the guard that summons you

Ring the arresting Garda, his name and reg. number will be on the summons, and explain it to him. He will probably tell ya to not worry about it and he'll get the case struck out. Otherwise, when you actually go to court find the Garda before the judge sits and explain it to him and he'll do it then. District courts get tens of dozens of cases thrown out every day. It's the first order of business by the clerk of the court before the justice sits.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Ah dont worry! A similiar thing happened to me a few years back. I presented them to the garda station but couldnt prove it!

First thing I did was phone the guard, (his name and station should be on the summons). Explain the deal to him, I know that my guy told me not to worry about it and that he wouldnt turn up to court.
    I dressed up on the day, when the case was called, I tried to explain to the judge. He wouldnt listen to me, so a ramdom guard stood up read the paperwork proving my car was covered and the judge struck the case out. :)

I learned a lesson to make a note of the name and number of the guard I present stuff to now.

I reckon if you phone the guard you should have a good idea what to do next! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ring the arresting Garda, his name and reg. number will be on the summons, and explain it to him. He will probably tell ya to not worry about it and he'll get the case struck out. Otherwise, when you actually go to court find the Garda before the judge sits and explain it to him and he'll do it then. District courts get tens of dozens of cases thrown out every day. It's the first order of business by the clerk of the court before the justice sits.
    I'll second this advice.

Advertisement