Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Indicating when moving back in after overtaking

Options
  • 09-01-2009 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Is is necssary to indicate after overtaking a car and moving back in? You see it a lot lately even though the car overtaking has nothing in front of it? On the tv adverts on "how to overtake safely" the car indicates back in to the flow of traffic.Yet in rules of the road it makes no mention of it.
    Are you not giving a misleading signal in doing so i.e im turning left shortly??
    (http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/overtaking.html)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Single carriageway or two/three/four lane road? On a multi lane road its changing lanes more than overtaking and for safety, you should indicate. The ROTR also states this.

I never do it on a single carriageway, as you've cleared the vehicle and they know you're going to go back in - possible exception if you're coming in between two vehicles (in a suitably large gap) when other drivers might go take the next vehicle in the same manoeuvre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

single carriage way, national primary. We KNOW your moving back in no need to tell us! (not you btw)your right on motorway but personally i dont think its necesarry on other smaller roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

I know your not ment to but i do it anyway because Irish drivers seem to think the outside lane in a dualer is one to drive in constantly and not to use it as an over taking lane, so i just flick it on for say one flash just to be courtious...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cronin_j wrote: »
    I know your not ment to but i do it anyway because Irish drivers seem to think the outside lane in a dualer is one to drive in constantly and not to use it as an over taking lane, so i just flick it on for say one flash just to be courtious...

You are meant to on a dualler ;) so just as well you do it then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

cronin_j wrote: »

I do it as well just like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

It's hardly a crime NOT to do it, but i do it on Dualers and Motorways. Single lane roads if I'm bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

On a single lane carriageway, you should keep indicating right until you have completed the overtaking maneuver and have got back onto the correct side of the road. The reason being is that by keeping your right indicator on, any cars approaching in the distance from the opposite direction will know that while your right indicator is on, you are on their side of the road. There is no point in indicating left at all. Dual carriageways/motorways....yes you indicate for each lane change. However, you DO NOT begin to indicate as you make your lane change. You indicate a little before you make your lane change so cars directly behind you and also in other lanes know that you intend to change lane and therefore those drivers can make preparations for your lane change and perhaps give you some some space to do so.. Putting your indicator on as you change lane is completely pointless and is one of my pet hates. The clue to what an indicator is is in its name. It's to give people an indication of your intentions to change your current direction/lane. If you are one of the people who indicates as they turn their wheel to change lane, just don't bother. You have given me your very short indication by cutting in in front of me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

Spot on ^^

I think the only time it may be necessary to signal left on a single carriageway is to reassure an oncoming car your actually going to pull back in, your getting into the realms of dodgy overtaking at that stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

highdef wrote: »
    However, you DO NOT begin to indicate as you make your lane change. You indicate a little before you make your lane change so cars directly behind you and also in other lanes know that you intend to change lane and therefore those drivers can make preparations for your lane change and perhaps give you some some space to do so.. Putting your indicator on as you change lane is completely pointless and is one of my pet hates. The clue to what an indicator is is in its name. It's to give people an indication of your intentions to change your current direction/lane. If you are one of the people who indicates as they turn their wheel to change lane, just don't bother. You have given me your very short indication by cutting in in front of me. :mad:

Absolutely, as my driving instructor taught me many moons ago; and indicator indicates an intention not an action.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

On a single lane, you're not changing lane, you're simply overtaking, so don't indicate back into the lane as this is really an indication that you'll be turning left ahead.

Any time you change lane (dual carriageway, motorway etc) you should indicate your intention before doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

pipsqueak wrote: »
    single carriage way, national primary. We KNOW your moving back in no need to tell us! (not you btw)

I agree. As you say where else could you be going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 YourCourier.ie

pipsqueak wrote: »
    Is is necssary to indicate after overtaking a car and moving back in?

My IAM instructor told me NOT to do it no matter what type of road you're on.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I always belived that a driver should indicate their intention whenever they crossed the broken white line regardless of their action I.E taking right turn,, over-taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Absolutely, as my driving instructor taught me many moons ago; and indicator indicates an intention not an action.

Agree- also, if anyone has driven in places like France (not so much in Ireland), by the time you indicate, do all the checks etc and start to overtake, the Porche 911/Ferarri xyz or indeed renault clio that you spotted 1 mile back in your rear view mirror, is now sucking your exhaust fumes through its turbocharged intercooler, and is about to overtake you on the inside lane- for that reason alone, I always indicate my intention to get the hell out of their way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Indicate before overtaking and while overtaking, but don't indicate back in on a single lane road. YourCourier, I'm sure your IAM instructor was only referring to a single lane road..

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

cormie wrote: »
    Indicate before overtaking and while overtaking, but don't indicate back in on a single lane road. YourCourier, I'm sure your IAM instructor was only referring to a single lane road..

Exactly. I mean for the purposes of the driving test you won't be driving on motorways. Lack of indication changing lanes on dual carriageways/motorways is headwrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

In agree that an indicator should signal your manoeuvre. However sometimes I find that I need to indicate a request/hope, say for example when trying to merge onto a dual carriageway into slow moving traffic. I am using the signal as a polite request for a gap but have often wondered as to the rectitude of such signalling.
    Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 YourCourier.ie

cormie wrote: »
    YourCourier, I'm sure your IAM instructor was only referring to a single lane road..

:) how can you be sure? At the time it was IAM policy and I have no reason to believe its any different now. I got out of the habit (of indicating left after an overtake when pulling back in) during the IAM course. Yes we did have motorways when I did the course and test and I passed it first time using this practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you were overtaking a couple of cars in one go*** (not that I'd ever do something like that) using your left indicator would **** be a good way of letting the car behind you know that you were about to pull in in front of them**

** obviously they would be keeping a correct distance from the car in front of them and space wouldn't even be an issue

*** ovbiously you'd never do this

**** hypothetically

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

colm_mcm wrote: »

*** ovbiously you'd never do this

**** hypothetically
    [/SIZE]

Why would you not overtake more than one car in one go?

EDIT: Of course, on a straight road, good driving conditions and it is safe to overtake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i think there might be a small bit of gratitude in indicating back in as well, as in a thanks for not blaring the horn at me since i just overpassed you cos your going too slow.

Advertisement