Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphics card help

Options
  • 09-01-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

hello my question is
    say a game like gta4 max requirments for graphis cards are
    512MB ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870

so dose that mean the have a
    Dual 512MB ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 – CrossFireX™
    would be twice as good.

you see what im thinking is i got a laptop about 3 years ago and its played games fine but now im finding i have to lower setings to play the games

so if i get a Dual 512MB ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 – CrossFireX™ will that mean i might get 5 to 6 years out of the laptop if you get what i mean and can answer please do

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

paddy086 wrote: »
    hello my question is
    say a game like gta4 max requirments for graphis cards are
    512MB ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870

so dose that mean the have a
    Dual 512MB ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 – CrossFireX™
    would be twice as good.

you see what im thinking is i got a laptop about 3 years ago and its played games fine but now im finding i have to lower setings to play the games

so if i get a Dual 512MB ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 – CrossFireX™ will that mean i might get 5 to 6 years out of the laptop if you get what i mean and can answer please do

thanks

A few things to answer here.

Without the model number of the laptop I couldn't tell you if you could install a 3870 Mobility crossfire solution. But I can tell you the amount of laptops that can take dual cards in the last 2 years I can count on 2 hands.

What I can tell you is that is wont go twice as fast. I would say a 20% increase if you were lucky as the laptops processor would let it down. I would eat my hat if you can get 6 years of current gaming on a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paddy086

here are the 2 laptops

Alienware

M17 with nivida gpu
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Extreme Processors (6MB Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    Up to 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800M GT SLI
    OR LAPTOP 2

Alienware

IntelCore™2 Duo Quad and Extreme Processors (12MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB
    Up to 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 CrossFireX Enabled
    it also sayes on the ATI that it will be 80% increase but i also know i cant trust everything the website tels me

Advertisement