Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista 64 Wireless Card problems

Options
  • 09-01-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got a new Vista 64 PC a few months ago and have been having ongoing wireless connectivity problems. I thought it might be the card that came with the machine but today changed to an older card, installed the drivers and the problems remain. I should state I have no idea what is causing the problems, is it the hardware or software.

Both cards (when installed) can connect to the network (the router is about two rooms away) but only for a minute or two before dropping the signal. At this point the network does not even appear in the Network and Sharing Centre list. Sometime other networks appear, sometimes none at all.

My XP laptop can connect to the network perfectly while in the same room and does not drop the signal, hopefully this can narrow the scope of the problems I am having. Any ideas or thoughts on what I can do to find out what is wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ionapaul wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got a new Vista 64 PC a few months ago and have been having ongoing wireless connectivity problems. I thought it might be the card that came with the machine but today changed to an older card, installed the drivers and the problems remain. I should state I have no idea what is causing the problems, is it the hardware or software.

Both cards (when installed) can connect to the network (the router is about two rooms away) but only for a minute or two before dropping the signal. At this point the network does not even appear in the Network and Sharing Centre list. Sometime other networks appear, sometimes none at all.

My XP laptop can connect to the network perfectly while in the same room and does not drop the signal, hopefully this can narrow the scope of the problems I am having. Any ideas or thoughts on what I can do to find out what is wrong?

This sounds like a driver issue - have you checked the pc and wireless card manufacturers's sites to see if there are any updated drivers available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

You will need to go to your power management settings, Advanced - and make sure you set your wireless card for maximum performance. Basically turn off all the power saving crap in Vista for your wireless network/card.
    I can give a better run through of finding the right settings when I'm at home later (as I use Xp in work and Vista 64 at home).
    You might figure it out in the meantime though, the above is a pointer in the right direction anyway :)

Advertisement