Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card won't fit

Options
  • 09-01-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I bought this pci-e graphics card for my acer extensa desktop a few days ago
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=388741

The computer came with ATI radeon x1250 graphic (it doesn't take up any slots i don't think)

Before buying i searched to see which type of slot i had on my computer and most websites said it was PCI Express x16. So i tried installing the card but it wouldn't fit:mad:

Can someone tell me what type of slot the green one in the pictures is,i'm fairly sure the two white slots are pci. Is it an AGP or PCI-E slot?
    Here's a few pictures(sorry for the poor quality)

crim0073qb1.th.jpg

crim0077oe7.th.jpg

crim0078dm9.th.jpg

crim0080ph1.th.jpg

I don't know much about this sort of stuff so any help would be :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Looks like a pci express slot. It should go in the slot. Does the gap in the pins on the card match the gap in the slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

Looks like a pci express slot. It should go in the slot. Does the gap in the pins on the card match the gap in the slot?

I'm 90% sure they do its just there seems to be something at the side of the case thats stoping the card from slotting in,i'll try and post more pics:)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

am i cross eyed, ignorant, or are those PCI slolts turned the opposite way from the PCI-e slot?

HELLO132 wrote: »
    I'm 90% sure they do its just there seems to be something at the side of the case thats stoping the card from slotting in,i'll try and post more pics:)

To put a card in, remove the backing plates from the slots to allow the card to slot in neatly. Line it up with the hole. Try to slide it in gently while watching the outside bit gets the little gap between the motherboard and the side of the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Some gfx cards are big!(gtx 8800 ultra springs to mind) so while it will fit in a pci-e slot the physical dimensions of the circuit board can be quiet long a ssuch just might not fit your case..

hope thats not the case for you:(

• Advertisement

To put a card in, remove the backing plates from the slots to allow the card to slot in neatly. Line it up with the hole. Try to slide it in gently while watching the outside bit gets the little gap between the motherboard and the side of the case.

Sorry what do you mean by backing plates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 doggone

Green slot is a pci/e. Checked the graphics card but need the make and model of your mother board just so i can get a clear image. The ATI radeon x1250 graphic is integrated onto your mother board. The little curved holding tag at the end of the slot sometimes can bend under the card the wrong way so be careful. A small pen light or flexible head torchlight is great for checking that gap along the edge of board where the long metal part slips down. Some manufacturers have very definable grooves to receive the metal so again be careful. Best thing is to offer the card on a tilt to the slot and roughly check pins and slots. Recently changed a graphic card and realised the end of the card where i was paying no attention to was fouling on the back of a hard disk. Patience and light are important. ;)

HELLO132 wrote: »
    Sorry what do you mean by backing plates?

The back of the pc will have slots across where the cards go. These slots are normally covered by removable metal plates which block the gap when there is no card there.

If you are installing the card for the first time you would need to remove one or possibly two to allow the card to slot in properly.

The back of the pc will have slots across where the cards go. These slots are normally covered by removable metal plates which block the gap when there is no card there.

If you are installing the card for the first time you would need to remove one or possibly two to allow the card to slot in properly.

Is this what you mean?
    http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq268/gold132/5655y5y.jpg

And any idea how to remove them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I assume that you have removed the metal strips that allow the card interface to pop out the end? It's difficult to tell from that picture.

It's either a case of lobbing a bit off your card with a hack-saw (this may result in loss of performance) or actually removing/ altering the offending part of the case. Again, without actually getting a clear picture of what exactly is happening it is difficult to advise.

Failing that, you might have to get a new card. I doubt that they will accept a returned card.

• Advertisement

I assume that you have removed the metal strips that allow the card interface to pop out the end? It's difficult to tell from that picture.

It's either a case of lobbing a bit off your card with a hack-saw (this may result in loss of performance) or actually removing/ altering the offending part of the case. Again, without actually getting a clear picture of what exactly is happening it is difficult to advise.

Failing that, you might have to get a new card. I doubt that they will accept a returned card.

What metal strips?:o:confused:,should the card be coming through a hole in the case?

This is confusing stuff:o:D

Oh i think i know whats wrong now:o,i didn't know you had to remove one of the metal strip things at the side? How do you remove them do,do they have screws or whats the mechanism?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

That dark plastic thing around the slots looks like a quick release tooless setup. If you pull the tab at the top of it is should come away and allow you to remove the slot cover. There may be screws but they would be claerly visible so i doubt it. Youll have to put the plastic thing back after your done to secure the card in place. Hope i'm right it's hard to tell from the pics.

DanGerMus wrote: »
    That dark plastic thing around the slots looks like a quick release tooless setup. If you pull the tab at the top of it is should come away and allow you to remove the slot cover. There may be screws but they would be claerly visible so i doubt it. Youll have to put the plastic thing back after your done to secure the card in place. Hope i'm right it's hard to tell from the pics.

Thats what it was i just pulled at it and it came off,it was a lucky guess:D

Anyway now i'm having problems installing the drivers:mad:

I put the driver installation cd in and when it starts getting the drivers i get an error message
    30958402pm8.th.png

I have integrated ATI radeon x1250 graphics. So I tried uninstalling the integrated ATI driver in add/remove programmes but i get this error message
    untitled.jpg

I've tried uninstalling it in device manager and removing it with Driver Sweeper but as soon as i restart the computer they appear again

It looks like the Setup programme can't pick up the new card.

Firstly have you connected the monitor to the new graphics card?
    You may have to use the supplied converters (small clear plastic and silver thing with screws on the side that came in the box) to put the Blue ended monitor cable to the white connections on the new card.
    I'm assuming your monitor is VGA (blue ended cable) and not DVI(White ended cable). If it's DVI you won't need the converter.

Secondly you may have to disable the old graphics in the BIOS.
    I must stress that you should be very careful when in the bios and if you're not comfortable doing it try to get someone a bit more tech savvi to show you in person. Where are you located maybe someone here might oblige?

This is done just after powering up the PC you press delete while the post screen is up. You know before you get the windows logo. Black screen with white writing it should say something like "press DEL to enter the BIOS" somewhere on the screen. Then you need to search through the bios (a blue screen with white/yellow writing) using the up,down,left,right enter and esc keys for something like onboard devices>> onboard Graphics then it will give you the option to enable/disable it. Select disable it then you will have to Save and exit the bios, this option will be given somewhere in the bottom left of the Main Bios menu.

Hope this is helpful.

I should also mention the order you should do things in here.

1. Uninstall old graphics Driver.

2. upon restart enter bios and disable old graphics there "SAVE AND EXIT"

3. Power off pc at the back after Save and Exit and connect Monitor to new Card. This Should be the stage that you attach the new card but you already have it in there and it shouldn't make a difference really. Make Sure it is seated properly in the slot and the little plastic tab is clicked into place. It should all line up pretty straight. Dont be afraid to be firm but controlled and careful with it some slots can be quite stiff to get the card into.

4.Power on PC while windows is loading it should pick up the new card then install it from the CD as per the onscreen instructions.

Well i finally got it to work, after tearing my hair out since 5pm:cool:

Thanks for everyone's help but i'm not 100% finished

I'm not sure how best to calibrate the monitor in DISPLAY Properties.

a) Should i put screen resolution up to maximum,only when i do that the icons go really small

B) Should i tick or untick EXTEND MY WINDOWS ONTO THIS MONITOR
    C) Should i have colour quality at medium(16bit) or highest(32bit)? This probably sounds stupid but i'm not sure whats best:o

Basicaly how do i get the best settings. The monitor pretty small btw only 15"

a) Put it to whatever you can comfortably see ie. if you think the icons are too small it's too high so lower the resolution. Games will change it to whatever they want or you set so no need to have your desktop set at high res all the time especially on a 15"monitor.

B) is only for if you have a second monitor.(DO you?) I take it you left the onboard graphics enabled. That's fine you may wish to add one in the future.

C)32bit(highest) no reason not to. :)

DanGerMus wrote: »
    a) Put it to whatever you can comfortably see ie. if you think the icons are too small it's too high so lower the resolution. Games will change it to whatever they want or you set so no need to have your desktop set at high res all the time especially on a 15"monitor.

B) is only for if you have a second monitor.(DO you?) I take it you left the onboard graphics enabled. That's fine you may wish to add one in the future.

C)32bit(highest) no reason not to. :)

Advertisement