Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelic Broadband DNS Trouble (I think)

Options
  • 09-01-2009 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi, Mate of mine recently switched from Eircom to Gaelic Telecom. He kept the router from eircom. So i set up the eircom router with the gaelic details. after a day or two the interent access dropped, even though the dsl sync and internet lights remained constant green(wireless modem BTW) windows showed it as connected, with an ip address and everything.
    So, i got him a router as the one he had was the first eircom netopias one, just in case it was that, as the browser wouldnt letme into the routers config page even though the wireless link was there. router was ruled out as problem was still there. girl on the phone said it was an issue with the wep key - turned that off - problem still there. so i got a spare belkin wireless g pci card, tried that still the same - so i reinstalled windows - problem still there.

So basically wheres it at now -

1. He's got a brand new belkin router
    2. a brand new belkin wireless pci card
    3. a freshly installed windowsxp

heres whats happening:
    on the belkin router page its showing the proper gaelic static ip address as well as the dns servers. its showing the internet status as connected.
    When i open a browser, the only page it can retrieve is google. i can do searches and image searches but cannot go outside the google domain.

Its wreckin my head - any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

strange alright, doesn't really sound like dns issue as such but easy rule it out

change dns servers from gaelic telecoms to opendns.com one's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Check if proxies are enabled in IE's settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

Check if proxies are enabled in IE's settings.
    Its a fresh install, no settings were changed in windows. i just installed the belkin drivers for the pci card - thats all ive done to xp SP2 so far.

what i cant understand is why it lets me roam freely around google's domain and nowhere else.

As far as i can remember, it can ping other sites correctly from the command prompt.

I had the notion that the ISP could possibly limit access to the internet because of all the tricking around with the router and ip addresses and such?

Either way im lost - i'll try the open DNS later and check the proxy settings.

In the meantime, any other ideas?? as all im going to get is some fool on the other end of the line @ gaelic telecom.

She was trying to get me mate to ring dell and microsoft as it wasnt their problem??? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you can ping www addresses from the command prompt it's probably not DNS related, but i could be rong.

if you're trying different DNS addresses, also give level3 a go. any of these should work.

4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3, and/or 4.2.2.4 (and asy to remember too). :)

might want to try an ipconfig/all in DOS to make sure the PC is accepting the ip & dns settings the router is giving out and not auto-config ones. it's possible the google pages are cached locally rather than being freshly downloaded.

have you tried via ethernet directly connected to the modem to see if there is any difference?

do you have another machine you could use to test the connection to rule out machine specific issues?

vibe666 wrote: »
    have you tried via ethernet directly connected to the modem to see if there is any difference?

do you have another machine you could use to test the connection to rule out machine specific issues?
    I've tried the ethernet - same results

I've also had my laptop in trying but its the same too!

I'll try the other options you've listed vibe, thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Set it up to receive your ip address manually, did you update it at all. (Auto update)

OK, seems to be working now. But, like before it could go anytime so fingers crossed.

When I changed the Encapsulation from PPPoE(As directed on the sheet that came from Gaelic Telecom) to PPPoA and manually entered the static IP address, it worked.

~ Still dont understand why the other way would allow access all across the google domain and not anywhere else.

~The connection still feels a bit choppy mind you - not perfect.

I was thinking of changing to them too but this has kinda put me off now - pity 'cos they're cheap!

Thanks for input everyone - Hopefully this might save somebody the hassle I went through!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

When I changed the Encapsulation from PPPoE(As directed on the sheet that came from Gaelic Telecom) to PPPoA and manually entered the static IP address, it worked.
    have seen that suggested before somewhere and it seemed to work then too, but I've no idea why.

but good stuff anyway, glad you're sorted. :)

Advertisement