Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How about Ireland bid?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

grahamo wrote: »
    A World Cup? No way! A Euro championship? maybe as a joint bid but I don't think anyone would touch the FAI after they f***ed up Scotland's chances a few years back.
    I think the only Major football event we'll see in Ireland will be the odd UEFA Cup final.

I think we need to do this first before we can ever hold major international events such as Euro / World Cups. I think getting a Uefa Cup and then maybe a Champions League Final to Ireland should be a priority for the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Why would UEFA hold a cup final in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

dfx- wrote: »
    You may need to quote this post every so often.

Semple Stadium would never hold an international 55,000 crowd. And neither could Thurles deal with the accommodation..

Thing is, with the upgrade of stadiums also comes the investment into the local infrastructure so money would be also spent on accomodation, transport etc. When England built Wembley, it cost them £757m. 21m of which was spent locally. Because these stadiums are inplace already and simply need upgrading €250m or so, then much more could be spent locally.

Do this for 3-4 different stadiums (yeah, we know the GAA won't allow it :rolleyes:) and you've got a spending of about 1.5bn, most of which would be reclaimed by the economy through tourism and sponsorship etc, and right now it would mean jobs in place for people currently unemployed. Even if we only broke even, it'd be a massive success.

Of course I'm talking hypothetically, and like I said this is about discussion and not reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I can't see Scotland wanting to put in a joint bid with ireland again unless their desperate.

Which would leave us with Wales or Northern Ireland. Both of which would'nt be great options.

I doubt Ireland could host it on our own unless the GAA open up their stadiums which simply wont happen.

Croke park was only opened to soccer and rugby as a one off and as soon as Lansdowne road is opened they'll be shutting their doors to both sports and wont be opening them again for a long time.

Scotland are thinking of a bid with teh Welsh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7762389.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Building the stadiums is one thing but getting Irish people to go to matches (often featuring footballers who do not play in the premiership) could prove difficult.

The only way a European Championship would be a success in this country is if you give the fans what they want. I suggest when the stadiums are being built that each of the 30,000+ seats come equipped with a tv and a mini-fridge underneath for holding beer cans in order to give the Irish soccer public an experience they can enjoy in familiar surroundings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Pigman II wrote: »
    Building the stadiums is one thing but getting Irish people to go to matches (often featuring footballers who do not play in the premiership) could prove difficult.

The only way a European Championship would be a success in this country is if you give the fans what they want. I suggest when the stadiums are being built that each of the 30,000+ seats come equipped with a tv and a mini-fridge underneath for holding beer cans in order to give the Irish soccer public an experience they can enjoy in familiar surroundings.

And when theres a dead rubber game in the final round of the group stages that no-one gives a toss about you could have in a kip like tolka or dalymount and then all the begrudging, chip on their shoulders, no one loves me LOI fans would feel at home ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Des wrote: »
    What do you mean "if"?

There is absolutely no conceivable notion of the gah giving up their grounds smack in the middle of their flagship competition.

There would be uproar at the "grassroots flat-cap wearing culchie" level up and down the land, never mind the northern counties, they'd probably take up arms.

It annoys me how you paint the GAA and their members as some sort of backward gombeen organisation. For all their faults they built one of the finest stadia in Europe while the Government, FAI and IRFU fiddled amongst themselves with Eircom Park, Bertie Bowl before finally deciding on a revamped Lansdowne Road that was in all likelihood the most expensive option.

So please, have at least a small modicum of respect for a national sport and its patrons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

noodler wrote: »
    The one stadium per city rule would HAVE to be changed too!

I don't think there is any such 'rule', its merely a potential negative point in the bid.
    But it didn't stop Paris being able to host WC98 games in Parc de Princes and Stade De Paris on successive days.

By the way for people proposing throwing in a few thousand seats into GAA grounds (permanent or bucket or whatever) theres a hell of a lot more needed to bring a ground up to UEFA Championship standard.

TV commentary area capable of hosting 3 studios and 50 commentary teams.
    Press conference and media centre capable of seating 150 people.
    CCTV capable of pointing at every seat and congregation area of stadium at all times.
    Fully equipped medical centres, and seperate doping control stations.
    etc etc the mind boggles at trying to build that into some of the antiquated GAA stadia.

And then you get into UEFA rules about no other matches being played on the grounds for a) the duration of their use during the competition and b) the 3 weeks before the competition.

Not to mention that UEFA would insist on 'owning' the stadia for the 4 weeks, i.e., would all you GAA people vacate Croke Park offices for the next 4 weeks because thats Michel Platini's office now.

Its a complete and total nonrunner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

dfx- wrote: »
    You may need to quote this post every so often.

Semple Stadium would never hold an international 55,000 crowd. And neither could Thurles deal with the accommodation..

This is such an insurmountable obstacle. Semple Stadium can hold 55,000 packed in, standing GAA fans with little history of crowd trouble so no need for segregation. After the match they all feck off back home to cork, waterford, kilkenny etc. Can you actually imagine 50,000 international fans going to thurles? How the hell are they all going to get there and where are they going to stay?

Its generally not a good idea to have a stadium that's capacity is bigger than the population of the town its in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

cson wrote: »
    For all their faults they built one of the finest stadia in Europe while the Government, FAI and IRFU fiddled amongst themselves with Eircom Park, Bertie Bowl before finally deciding on a revamped Lansdowne Road that was in all likelihood the most expensive option.

Eh. How much Government money went into Croke Park? The Gah didn't build it, the tax-payer did.
    cson wrote: »
    So please, have at least a small modicum of respect for a national sport and its patrons.

My national sport? :eek: Hoofball is my national sport? We in Ireland have no national sport. We are equally **** at all sports and the only reason the Gaa is so 'community based' is because no other country can show us up.
    AKA. You don't see the GAA Premier League on Sky Sports.

Anyways back o/t. This has no chance of ever happening because it would require regional investment into the LOI clubs directly. Bringing the capacity of Finn Park, the Showgrounds, Terryland, the Flansiro, Century Homes Park in Monaghan and several other LOI stadia up to 30,000/45,000 each. And maybe building a new stadium in Limerick or using Thomond.

Plus you'd need infastructure between the host cities. So that means the western rail corridor extending down to Cork and up to Ballybofey and general line improvements everywhere. Airports would have to be improved, even the regional ones, Galway, Sligo etc. There are enough hotels I would think but in reality, it ain't gonna happen. EVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

People seem to be looking at the stadiums issue, as if we'd have any sort of chance of getting the thing even if we did have the necessary facilities.

Advertisement