Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert Vhs to Dvd Easy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

I've used a similar one with no problems. Was using for a different purpose but could digitise in composite video no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I've used a similar one with no problems. Was using for a different purpose but could digitise in composite video no problem.
    thanks for the post, im going to do some research on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Pangea wrote: »
    Hey all,just came across this on the net, Im thinking of buying it , Has anyone used this?

Anytime I've needed to copy VHS to DVD, I happen to have a hard disk recorder. So I just connect a Scart cable from the video player to the hard disk recorder and play the video, recording direct to the hard disk.
    The hard disk recorder also burns DVDs.

I mention this, just in case you happen to have a hard disk recorder, in which case you just need a scart cable.

Anytime I've needed to copy VHS to DVD, I happen to have a hard disk recorder. So I just connect a Scart cable from the video player to the hard disk recorder and play the video, recording direct to the hard disk.
    The hard disk recorder also burns DVDs.

I mention this, just in case you happen to have a hard disk recorder, in which case you just need a scart cable.
    Thank you, but what is a hard disk recorder?? :confused:

edit: oh i dont have one of those :( thanks for the reply

Heres another one I found ,expensive but seems to be the job for it

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224587&doy=10m1&C=SO&U=strat15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Thats just making you buy a whole other VHS deck. A little pointless and uneccessary imo.

The Kworld one is a quarter of the price and you just use your own deck.

It should be fine, weak link would your VCR player.

If you know of someone with a good one, see if you can borrow it. But if you are happy with the quality of the VCR being played on the telly, then it should be fine as you will be taking the same feed.

It should be fine, weak link would your VCR player.

If you know of someone with a good one, see if you can borrow it. But if you are happy with the quality of the VCR being played on the telly, then it should be fine as you will be taking the same feed.

sorry what do you mean ,"weak link would your vcr player"? :confused:

Obviously the quality of the end dvd is a function of your VCR player. Crap player = less quality of the DVD. However, like I said, if you play a tape and you are happy with the quality on the TV, then you should be fine as your PC will be getting the same feed when you make the copy. If you aren't, then try and borrow a good VCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

As zaraba says, the quality of video ouput, or picture quality (PQ), can vary by quite a bit from vcr to vcr. For example, I have a JVC S-VHS recorder and even ordinary VHS look noticebly better when played on it. Since the digitization of your VHS collection is a once off, it's best to use as good a VHS player as you can get your hands on.

In another thread I talked about a product from Emprex that allows you to record straight to USB memory stick:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58501096#post58501096

The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to connect the VHS player up to your PC which might make life easier for some people.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys , yes interesting point, and a very good one, its important to get a good vcr player . Thanks butts also , I will look at your link now.

Well, like I said. If you are happy with the output of your current player, then there is no need to spend money on a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Buy a good video player on eBay, encode your stuff and sell it when you are done. Net cost will probably be 100e and well worth it. In fact, if you look on ebay, you will find people selling professional VHS decks that did this very thing. Bought the deck, captured their video and sold the deck on when done.

What the video looks like on your TV right now isnt really that relevant, when you start to start capture and compress the video any anomolies will be magnified and all-of a-sudden it doesnt look as good as you expected.

TV's are getting bigger and bigger and res's are getting higher and higher meaning more interpolation of your previous gen video.. If you skimp, sooner or later, you'll regret it. Spend the time and get it right the first time around.

Search this board for analog capture threads, I've put up a few links in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

I've tried this a few times with a programme called PVR plus, you connect your vhs player to the PC/Laptop and record on to the computer hard drive.

I've noticed the sound goes out of sync after about ten minutes or so, anyone know whats wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sculljam

hi ,
    did you ever get sorted out with the VHS to dvd problem ?
    Either buy a Hard drive Recorder with the cables around 200 euros from philips.
    or I know someone who could do them for you for less .
    let me know if this helps.
    sculljam@hotmail.com

Advertisement