Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achtung Baby

Options
  • 09-01-2009 4:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Ok so Bono has become increasingly irritating over the years but I listened to this album yesterday for the first time in ages and it's just epic. Has to be in the top 10 best rock albums ever? Do you agree? Everything about it, the sound, the tour, the whole Berlin thing, they really managed to capture the zeitgeist of that time in the 90s. Definitely U2s best album in my opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Ok so Bono has become increasingly irritating over the years but I listened to this album yesterday for the first time in ages and it's just epic. Has to be in the top 10 best rock albums ever? Do you agree? Everything about it, the sound, the tour, the whole Berlin thing, they really managed to capture the zeitgeist of that time in the 90s. Definitely U2s best album in my opinion.

One of my favourite albums- only stuff by U2 that i really like.
    Many regard it as their best album.

Absolutely love the distortion/dark industrial sound of the opener Zoostation.
    There's something really exhilirating about that track.

Ultraviolet (Light my Way) is great as well.

I think a lot of the album is rooted in a difficult period they were going through at the time (Edge's breakup with his wife IIRC?/the band nearly abandoning the whole Berlin thing) and i think that darkness comes through in the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

Agreed. Although alot of people are quick to dismiss the edge as a crap guitarist his use of imaginative sounds and effects on this album was incredible. Bono's voice was also at its peak for this tour..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I absolutely hated this album when it came out because of it's drastic change in sound from The Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum, but before 92 was out, i ended up loving it.

Not my most listened to U2 album, but it's aged quite well considering it's well over 15 years old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Trouser_Press

My love/hate U2 album!

So-so about Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and Mysterious Ways.

Hated Zoo Station, Even Better Than the Real Thing, So Cruel and Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World.

Loved The Fly and Ultraviolet (Light My Way).

Adored Until the End of the World, Acrobat and Love Is Blindness.

And One will forever more remain the greatest song ever written.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I love this album and only recently started listening to it again. I was always into music but I remember getting a copy of this on tape from a friend (with bits of paper stuck in the top corners of the tape so he could record over the previous!)

I fell in love with music and have been a major adict ever since. One of my favorite albums of all time without a shadow of a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Agree that Bono's irritation as hell and agree that it's an amazing album.

Can't understand why Zooropa is so overshadowed though (that's a good thing). I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It's not my favourite U2 album and, like ShawnRaven, I didn't like it when it came out first but it's grown on me over the years. My favourite tracks on it are One and Until The End of The World.
    engrish? wrote: »
    I was always into music but I remember getting a copy of this on tape from a friend (with bits of paper stuck in the top corners of the tape so he could record over the previous!)
    Assuming the paper was stuck along the top with sellotape, why did your friend need paper at all? Wouldn't the sellotape have worked just as well? At least that's how I remember it. It's a long time since I copied over a tape ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

Best album EVER. It's simply brilliant. My favourite track is Until The End Of The World; that song is a mental orgasm. I think they achieved perfection musically and lyrically speaking. Hopefully the next album will be as good. I can't wait until March.

Advertisement