Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman who never buys a round.

Options
  • 09-01-2009 7:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Right well after reading the stingy thread I was reminded of something I'm going to have to face for the next few days.

I have a couple of friends who live in the UK, and I sometimes fly over to see them, stay in a hotel and make a nice few days of it. I have always gone over by myself and the guy is always more than willing to buy in a round, his girlfriend (my other friend) has never bought one, she just waits for other people to buy them.

Now I'm not exactly hard done by, and buying an extra drink doesn't exactly break the bank, but this time I'm bringing my girlfriend with me, and I don't see why she should have to pay for this girls night out when she doesn't even know her.

I'm sure most of you have been in this situation before, or something similar, should I just let it go and get shcuttered, or should I bring this up if it happens again?

(Note didn't post this in PI because it's not really a personal issue as such)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Stay on couples rounds. Easier. Cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Tell your mate that you don't want to see him get hurt but his bird has been coming on strong to you and made it clear that you can sh@g her anytime you like.

Hopefully he will then dump her and get himself someone who will hold their own when it comes to the important issue of buying booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Rabies wrote: »
    Did not think of that one at all, great idea though thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Rabies wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

if i'm with a couple and it seems they are staying 'together' on rounds then i go the bar, buy myself one only and never go rounds with em again, simple as... if they question me i tell them they were havin a laugh, takin me for a mug.. they get cheaper rent, cheaper tax, cheaper holidays.. and now they want cheaper pints.. at my expense.. get out of it!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Rounds are a stupid concept anyway. Just buy your own drinks and let everyone else do the same. I stopped buying rounds years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If your UK friends don't know your girlfriend just explain to them alone that your girlfriend is very stingy and will not be buying rounds, but will be expecting drink to be bought for her. They should see that you are really talking about them and kop themselves on. If the UK one doesn't buy a round (persumably its got something to do with her been female and having a God givien right to have drinks bought for her) then why should your gf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Rounds are a stupid concept anyway. Just buy your own drinks and let everyone else do the same. I stopped buying rounds years ago.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is there anyway this has something to do with immigrants or the recession perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As said - stay on couples rounds

As said - stupid system, I always have to wait for everyone to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Call her up on it. The only person that should be embarrassed by this will be her and she'll at least realise that it has been bugging you since day one. She can't logically think that you are the stingey one for doing this because it is her that has been slyly avoiding paying all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

When you buy a round include her out of it, when you come back from the bar tell her the barman want's a word with her. If she doesn't get the hint more drastic steps must be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Before each person buys a round make sure to say who is next. Then, after the 3rd round, when everyones drink is empty, just tell the girl it's her round. Most people will cave in a situation like that, and buy the round.

Alternatively, dont buy rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Tell the bird if she doesn't start buying rounds, she's getting Ryan Giggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If there's a group of us out and we are in rounds, I will normally just buy drinks for my mates. If I don't know you I ain't spending my money on you. I will say at the start of the night that I am not going into rounds.

Should tell the girl that she is next, nobody likes a miser like that. Had a friend like that, when she bought drinks she left people out, "you were in the toilet, didn't know what you were drinking" etc etc. When it was our turn she always had a double, what a bitch.

I have seen this in the UK before where women(and lads too) dont buy a round when its their turn and it is very common in Europe. I know that a French lad I know told me that in france it would be frowned upon for a woman to buy a round of drink(its a man job to buying drink or some such rubbish).

If I was in you situation OP I would do the first round and them when it comes around to her and she refuses to get in her round go up and buy your round again but dont get her a drink. If she says anything tell her you thought she wasnt drinking for the rest of the night as she didnt buy any drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Ok once went out with an English guy. When we went over to his gang none of the girls bought rounds, only the guys. When I went and got my own round in, the guys thought it was hillarious, so from then on, I just gave him cash at the begining of the night to cover my round and not cause an issue. Actually if I'm on a night out with a big gang and at teh end of the night I feel I didn't get enough rounds in, I give my OH some cash, as he has probably got mine in, and the next time I ensure I get some extra's in. But it generally all balances out. If someone doesn't get the rounds in on a regular basis, they would just find themselves left out the next night.

Advertisement