Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Joining dual carriageways/motorways

Options
  • 09-01-2009 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

When joining motorways and dual carriageways from a filter lane, who has right of way? The car joining or the car already on the main road?
    This week I have been on M50 and everytime I am in inside lane and cars are entering from filter lane, they just join the road pushing you out of the way with no concern of who is on the road. What is the rush for anyway?
    Its really annoying and I'm planning on buying a Magnum like Dirty Harry's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

So you don't pull over from the left lane to the overtaking lane and allow people to join the motorway/dual carraigeway? If they are joining and pushing you out of the way where do you expect them to go when they are merging onto the motorway/dual carraigeway?

It really p1sses me off when people don't pull over and allow merging traffic join, it's very ignorant. I assume that its in the rules of the road to pull over and allow merging traffic join, but it's just good manners to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

It's a joint responsibility to be honest

The person coming in obviously has to ensure they can merge safely , however the people on the motorway should have some presence of mind to watch for this and allow them to join.

On empty/near empty motorways move over when approaching a junctions ( assuming the overtaking lane is vacant and you don't have a much quicker car coming up , this works better on 3 lane motorways ). On busy motorways such as the M50 this isn't so practical , then you may need to either speed up / slow down to allow the merging car to come in.

The main thing is the merging car HAS to get to the speed of the motorway for this to happen, all to often you see inexperienced/untrained drivers actually slow down or even stop in the merging lane this is really really dangerous.

Something else I have noticed here ( I drove in Britain for 25 yrs before moving here ) is people crossing the hatchings, I had never seen this before , it's so stupid !

Joining a busy motorway like the M50(M25 :) ) requires co-operation from both parties

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

farva wrote: »
    So you don't pull over from the left lane to the overtaking lane and allow people to join the motorway/dual carraigeway? If they are joining and pushing you out of the way where do you expect them to go when they are merging onto the motorway/dual carraigeway?

It really p1sses me off when people don't pull over and allow merging traffic join, it's very ignorant. I assume that its in the rules of the road to pull over and allow merging traffic join, but it's just good manners to do so.

You might want to re-read the ROTR. The car joining the M-way / dual carriageway must yield to traffic already on the road. Cars already on the road are under no obligation whatsoever to facilitate your entry - although I would consider it best practice to move to the overtaking lane briefly *provided it is clear* to let traffic on. However, if you find that you cannot join a M-way / DC without 'assistance' from other drivers, you really shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

And it really pisses me off when people simply barge in and expect you to move over to allow them in.

I suggest you read the ROTR before you come shooting your mouth off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

If you can't look in your mirror and adjust your speed to filter in then you shouldn't be in a car, **** sake it's not difficult.

Very annoying where a driver automatically moves out to allow another to filter in when it is totally unnecessary and they can't work out that something doing 50k more than you will be up your arse in a few seconds.

Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

This attitude is exactly what's wrong with drivers in this country. People (ignorant of the correct procedure) start doing the wrong thing & then expect others to adapt. Little by little the incorrect procedure becomes the norm; hence we get people not indicating on roundabouts, holding up the outside lane and barging on to Motorways.

By all means open up a gap on a busy road to let others merge; but to expect others to change lanes just because you're coming in is completely at odds with the purpose of a motorway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its pretty much the same principal as someone joining a road from a normal junction. Traffic already on the road has right of way and those wishing to join must join when it is safe to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I'm assuming that your opinion is a wind-up or you are extremely thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Ther two principal problems with merging onto motorways in Ireland are:

1. merging traffic is going too slow, often slowing down cars behind it. How can is possibly be safe to merge into traffic doing 100kph when your doing 60kph? This forces cars on the motorway to brake or change lanes thereby slowing the whole road down. Idealliy, you shouldn't have to change lanes to allow someone in, just leave a gap. If they match your speed they can slot in easily.

2. Cars tailgaiting on the motorway leave little room for merging
    It amazing how many cars driving "safely" below the speed limit (maybe 100kph on a 120kph road) but leave only a car-length between them and the car in front. You'd be safer doing 140kph in the outside lane. When someone merges, they all brake, slowing the road down, encouraging more cars onto outside lane.

Bottom line is Guards do not stop people for this type of driving and, people are ignorant of good driving practice. If people were pulled in and spoken to, they'd get the message. Repeat/serious offenders should have to take a day off work and attend a driving course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I was taught to drive in England, and because the traffic joining the motorway has to yield to traffic already on the motorway, they use the following technique:

- Accelerate to near motorway speed on the sliproad
    - Look for a gap between cars on the lane you'll be joining (the road is designed so that you can see over to it)
    - Adjust your speed so that you'll be in the gap when the hatch markings finish and the broken white line appears.
    - Mirror, signal, manoeuvre!

When you're already on the motorway, you're only expected to show common sense, i.e. not suddenly brake or accelerate, or similarly fcuk about.

I remember telling my instructor that Irish drivers tear across the hatch markings and head straight for the overtaking lane - he nearly had a convulsion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Drivers joining a motorway or dual carriageway should ensure they have matched their speed to the speed of drivers on the road they are joining. How often do people try to crawl onto roads here? Loads of times!

If the carriagway is not clear then you should drive along the hard shoulder until there is a space and you have matched the speed. That is OFFICIAL police teaching in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

fricatus wrote: »
    ...Irish drivers tear across the hatch markings and head straight for the overtaking lane...

I see this on a daily basis.

(OP: Bring on the .44 Magnum...)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

You might want to re-read the ROTR. The car joining the M-way / dual carriageway must yield to traffic already on the road. Cars already on the road are under no obligation whatsoever to facilitate your entry

Not saying it is not true but seems like a stupid rule. By that logic a packed left lane of the motorway could force joining traffic to stop on the slip road as no room to join.

I would always look to move to outer lane if possible to allow traffic room to enter the Motorway. I am sure I read this was the rule in either the US or UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

From the Rules of The Road: Talking about the overtaking lane

"On a two-lane motorway, use this for overtaking only and move back into lane 1 when you have finished. You may also use this lane to accommodate traffic merging from the left."

I think it shows courtesy to move into the overtaking lane to allow someone to merge, if safe to do so obviously.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

xabi wrote: »
    I think it shows courtesy to move into the overtaking lane to allow someone to merge, if safe to do so obviously.

Self preservation would be another motive for doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Drivers joining a motorway or dual carriageway should ensure they have matched their speed to the speed of drivers on the road they are joining. How often do people try to crawl onto roads here? Loads of times!

Poor signage is another big issue. When you're joining the M50 southbound from the N4 heading east, there are signs telling you to slow to 30kmph when you navigate the turn onto the slip road.
    Now most drivers with any sense speed up when they get to the bottom of the turn and hit the straight but I've often seen many drivers continue to crawl along at 30kmph or a tad over that speed and then try to merge ont othe M50.
    In fact, I've even seen one person at about that speed manage to drift out into the middle lane at that speed before finally hitting an earth-shattering speed of 50kmph... no indicators on the car either. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

From the Horses mouth

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/joining-the-motorway.html

No mention of traffic already on the road moving across lanes to accommodate, however, I would personally move over IF it was safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

maceocc2 wrote: »
    From the Horses mouth

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/joining-the-motorway.html

No mention of traffic already on the road moving across lanes to accommodate, however, I would personally move over IF it was safe to do so.

It mentions it in the 'On the motorway' section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Heroditas wrote: »
    Poor signage is another big issue. When you're joining the M50 southbound from the N4 heading east, there are signs telling you to slow to 30kmph when you navigate the turn onto the slip road.
    Now most drivers with any sense speed up when they get to the bottom of the turn and hit the straight but I've often seen many drivers continue to crawl along at 30kmph or a tad over that speed and then try to merge ont othe M50.
    In fact, I've even seen one person at about that speed manage to drift out into the middle lane at that speed before finally hitting an earth-shattering speed of 50kmph... no indicators on the car either. :rolleyes:

I'd add illogical signage to this. On the N4 eastbound at the Newcastle junction, the slip onto the N4 has a 'Stop' rather than 'Yield' at the end - you must stop, regardless of the traffic situation. This leads to the farcical situation where you have to stop dead metres from the N4, then speed up to traffic speed from rest. I treat this as a 'Yield' for safety, but technically I'm in the wrong. It might be due to the roadworks, but it's dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Shouldn't this thread be in the 'Learning to Drive' section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,940 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

xabi wrote: »
    From the Rules of The Road: Talking about the overtaking lane

"On a two-lane motorway, use this for overtaking only and move back into lane 1 when you have finished. You may also use this lane to accommodate traffic merging from the left."

X.
    If there is room in the overtaking lane, and I'm not going to cause a problem for someone in th eovertaking lane, I would move into it coming to a junction, especially if i see 2 or 3 cars about to merge. However, if the overtaking lane can not be moved in to, i would still slightly adjust my speed (slower or faster depending on the situation) to create space for cars to move in to - generally space for one car to merge into ahead of me, second car can move in behind - zip like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

craichoe wrote: »

How so?

Last time I checked learner drivers weren't allowed on motorways :D

craichoe wrote: »

Of no relevance there - they ain't allowed on the motorway, and we all know once you have you license you have nothing left to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

And don't you just love merging lanes during rush hour. There should be penalty points for idiots who stop to let merging traffic in. And how many times have you seen two cars at a standstill trying to merge with each driver waving to the other saying "you go first, no you go first, ah go on go on".

20goto10 wrote: »
    And don't you just love merging lanes during rush hour. There should be penalty points for idiots who stop to let merging traffic in. And how many times have you seen two cars at a standstill trying to merge with each driver waving to the other saying "you go first, no you go first, ah go on go on".

Or the wonderfull piece of design on the M50 that brings the 3 lane section down to two lanes at almost the exact spot the firhouse traffic merges. So you get clows going as far as possible before merging in FORCING people to either stop of have their car banged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Or the wonderfull piece of design on the M50 that brings the 3 lane section down to two lanes at almost the exact spot the firhouse traffic merges. So you get clows going as far as possible before merging in FORCING people to either stop of have their car banged.
    This is exactly the spot I'm talking about :) There's absolutely no reason why traffic should come to a standstill here. Its obviously going to cause a slow down, but no reason for a complete halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

yes but if people did not slow right down or stop to let people in during rush hour on the m50 then no-one trying to get on at ballymun, finglas, etc would ever be able to join when its bumper to bumper at 10kmph. if people didnt stop to let them in then they would be sitting there for hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

tin79 wrote: »
    yes but if people did not slow right down or stop to let people in during rush hour on the m50 then no-one trying to get on at ballymun, finglas, etc would ever be able to join when its bumper to bumper at 10kmph. if people didnt stop to let them in then they would be sitting there for hours

It is different though when the roads are not bumper to bumper. It can be dangerous moving across lanes especially when forced.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Bluetonic wrote: »
    If you can't look in your mirror and adjust your speed to filter in then you shouldn't be in a car, **** sake it's not difficult.

Very annoying where a driver automatically moves out to allow another to filter in when it is totally unnecessary and they can't work out that something doing 50k more than you will be up your arse in a few seconds.

Idiots.

Eh? Person in left lane who moved over to facilitate entry would be doing about 100km/h, so if you (the person presumably being annoyed by this) would have to be downing 150 km/h?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MarkR wrote: »
    Eh? Person in left lane who moved over to facilitate entry would be doing about 100km/h, so if you (the person presumably being annoyed by this) would have to be downing 150 km/h?

This is a hypothetical Irish motorway, person moving out of way could be doing 70km/h or less...

Advertisement