Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God Is An Astronaut

Options
  • 09-01-2009 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭

Are many other fans of this amazing irish post-rock band here? I discovered them 3 or 4 months ago and was taken by storm, had all their 4 albums and EP within a month. Hoping to see them live at some stage too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

been following them since thier first album.

their live shows are amazing.

they dont play in ireland too much anymore as theyre more popular in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yep. Been to see them three or four times. All is Violent, All is Bright recently made its way back into my CD player. They seem to have moved away from always having a vid to accompany their live songs, which is a pity as I really liked that.

Pity their equipment got nicked when touring the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

do they play with backing tracks live?ive seen some live clips with just 3, but there's other stuff going on in the background...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I quite like them but it seems like they are always on the verge of greatness. They just need one great song or album to take them to the next level ala Sigur Ros or Explosions in the Sky. All is Violent, All is Bright is a pretty good though.

seachto7 wrote: »
    do they play with backing tracks live?ive seen some live clips with just 3, but there's other stuff going on in the background...

I think, and don't quote me on this, they must use DATs or something. The lead singer does a lot though; plays guitar, keyboard and does vocals (sometimes using effects) so the majority of the sound is produced live.

I also agree about the verge of greatness comment. They haven't quite got what it takes to break through yet. Fireflies and Empty Skies is probably the closest they've come to doing that, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Listening to em now, like what im hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

R_H_C_P on here got me listening to em, id love to check em out live but as posted above it doesnt seem like they play ireland much, which is a shame really :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

only came across them recently and really like their music, they are playing in dublin, galway, and cork next month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Discovered em when they supported whipping boy in the olympia a few years back. The visuals at the shows are just mindblowing. seen em 6 or 7 times since then they put on a crackin show
    Sound heads aswell

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Bump for this amazing band!

Have to say, easily one of my favourite bands! Love every song they have. Dont listen to their new album as much as the older stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

mp3guy wrote: »
    Are many other fans of this amazing irish post-rock band here? I discovered them 3 or 4 months ago and was taken by storm, had all their 4 albums and EP within a month. Hoping to see them live at some stage too.

Love this band, seem em before. second only to explosions for me...

anyways
    check out thier dates man they are playing dublin 26th Feb and galway just before.

http://www.myspace.com/godisanastronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ninwilky

Id prefer other bands like this will destroy you, explosions in the sky and pelican but i still love them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I only started listening to God is an Astronaut recently thanks to last.fm. I'll have to try pick up an album or two. Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Notorious wrote: »
    I only started listening to God is an Astronaut recently thanks to last.fm. I'll have to try pick up an album or two. Any recommendations?

All is Voilent, All is Bright is a good place to start

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I saw them at Oxegen 04. It was the very first gig we saw there. Just wondered into the tent and they were great. Really atmospheric music. I don't think they quite reach the levels of greatness of bands like Mogwai or Godspeed but they are damn good nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 muntijaqi

Hi,
    Im Spaniard and an irish friend of mine recommended me this group and I must say they are great!. Hope to see them soon some gig.

I love far from refuge song :) the harmonic melody is awesome :o

I have sent to many of my friends in Spain some of their songs and they think the same. Really nice band

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I bought All is Violent, All is Bright after hearing some of their EP on the radio and liking it. It's not exactly my thing although I do acknowledge they are a great band. I love Fragile and Forever Lost.

got tickets to see them again next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

new album is straming on their myspace site,looking forward to seeing them again on saturday night.

ah nice new musics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

used to have 'The End of the Beginning' on my MP3 player. Liked it. Never knew they were Irish until i read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stephen112

just announced - next Dublin show is the Academy on Saturday 6th November, tickets on sale now

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bump!

Amazing show tonight, great energy from the guys, will definitely see them again.

Caspian were pretty decent too I thought.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Yeah, nice setlist (but too short!). They always give their all.

Interested to see what new sound they'll emerge with in 2012. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Saw them last night and was really impressed, their set was brillent,really enjoyed caspine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I saw them with The Butterfly Explosion a while back. I bought all their albums there. Some are good, some not so good. Good gig too.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Really enjoyed them last night, good set list..I really wish they would bring back the projector into the live set up though. Just my opinion.

Caspian we're awesome..Great set from them and .. Well worth checking out "Tertia"..Such a great album. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Caspian we're awesome..Great set from them and .. Well worth checking out "Tertia"..Such a great album.

they blew me away at the forum last weekend, tertia is a brilliant album.

Advertisement