Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 Mondeo - buying advice

Options
  • 09-01-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭

I'm going up North to buy a 08 Mondeo, working out at about 14.5 k including VRT. Is this as good a bargain as I think it is. Only about 15k mileage. Also, anything in particular I should look out for when inspecting it. Any advice welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If I was about to spend €15,000 on a motor I'd pay €100 to bring a mechanic with me to check it out properly.

Looks like a cracking price. What engine and spec is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Its a 2.0 Diesel. Just the basic spec but the new model Mondeos have got good basic features. Its from a Ford main dealer up there and will still have two year manufacturer warranty left on it I'm told. Going up tomorrow pm prob wouldn't be able to get a mechanic to look at it. Don't know anyone anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

You should contact the AA or RAC up north for them to inspect it and give an opinion. I'd get a HPI check on it too, I know you should be safe from an outstanding finance point of view buying it from a Ford main dealer but there's still a possibility it could be a damaged repaired car. I think though really buying from a Ford main dealer and having the 2 year warrenty you should be fine.

Also on the price as your not trading in anything I would look for 15% - 20% off in the asking price as your doing a straight deal, you should get 10% off with no need for any heavy haggling, dealer will be happy with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Check if car has service history, if it has, it is a huge bonus, even for selling later. A friend of mine got the Rac to look at one in england last year and they give a very thorough report. However with a main dealer and a warranty , you really can't go too far wrong. If you are a bit car wise you should be able to check it out. No harm to bring a friend though. Sounds great value and personally I would bring a friend , check it out myself , view history and go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Terrific Value for an 08 Mondeo.
    don't get carried away with the "bargain feeling" tho. Check everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Sounds like a very good deal, I've been following UK Mondeo prices and it €14.5K landed is good going. And you've got the right engine as well. As said, check it carefully for any damage, it may be cheap for a reason.

Cheers for the advice guys. Was talking to the dealer yesterday and he is not moving at all on the price. Might just chance getting 500 sterling off when it comes to paying. He said they brought it in from the UK so will make sure it has the full service history and the HPI check done. Am taking some comfort from them being a main dealer though, plus the warranty. That warranty shouldn't have any issues down here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That 14.5k figure, I'm presuming is exclusive of VRT, but is that Sterling or euros? In euros it would be a bargain, but if that's the Sterling figure, then there are better bargains to be had, e.g. this.

fricatus wrote: »
    That 14.5k figure, I'm presuming is exclusive of VRT, but is that Sterling or euros? In euros it would be a bargain, but if that's the Sterling figure, then there are better bargains to be had, e.g. this.

That figure is in Euro with the VRT included. Its probably about 15.2k now actually. That 14.5 k figure was using last weeks record high exchange rate

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is a great price alright but I would try and find a Zetec model to be honest. Even if it costs a little more it is still a great saving and worth it imo.

The Zetec will have things like alloy wheels, rear electric windows and climate control. It will also make it more desireable come selling time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The dash and finish is a lot nicer in the zetec, the climate was an important feature for me. If you're happy with it and everything checks out then happy days. Let us know how you get on.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It is a great price alright but I would try and find a Zetec model to be honest. Even if it costs a little more it is still a great saving and worth it imo.

The Zetec will have things like alloy wheels, rear electric windows and climate control. It will also make it more desireable come selling time.

The Lx still has an ok spec.......but in the uk,are they not called Lx's anymore.....now called Edge I think......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Plus that sepc has cruise where the irish LX doesnt. Think - but not too sure - it might have rear electric windows too...

EPM wrote: »
    Plus that sepc has cruise where the irish LX doesnt. Think - but not too sure - it might have rear electric windows too...

agrred, and the OP says its a Uk car brought to NI. But your right, I'd want one with CC.

Yep, its a edge alright and I take your point re the climate control. Still wouldn't pay 3 grand for the privilege

When i posted CC, i meant cruise.:pac:

But you're right, 3k extra for climates silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

shawnee wrote: »
    Check if car has service history, if it has, it is a huge bonus, even for selling later.

After 15k miles it may not even have been serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That figure is in Euro with the VRT included. Its probably about 15.2k now actually. That 14.5 k figure was using last weeks record high exchange rate

With the VRT? [removes hat in admiration]

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I think zetec has sports suspension which might not be for everybody given the state of our roads.

Its just a nice family car I need now. (Hon times have changed!) So not too worried about the bells and whistles. The Mondeo has a bigger boot than the new model Passat so that is why I am opting for one of them

• Advertisement

Its just a nice family car I need now. (Hon times have changed!) So not too worried about the bells and whistles. The Mondeo has a bigger boot than the new model Passat so that is why I am opting for one of them

A great family car they are. My bro is on his 4th mondeo, can't be wrong.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ford are certainly on to a winner with the new Mondeo....I'd say I see one every minute when I'm driving

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

The new one is a lovely looking car as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm not gone on the exterior looks of the Mondeo to be honest, I think it is very bulky and whaleish (if there is such a word) especially the boot on the saloon. Even 18" rims look lost under the arches. Hatchback or estate look slightly better imo.

Mazda and Opel imo have produced a nicer, less bulkier shape to the 6 and Insignia respectively, despite being roughly the same size as the Mondeo.

Agreed, the mazda 6 is a nice looking car and the insignia looks good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

In the market for a mondeo myself (LX Spec) any chance you could PM the dealer.

Thats just in budget. Happy new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Zetec model listed here http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/1.8-Tdci/200901191386816/advert but you'd have to add vrt. I think the Zetec is worth stumping up for but not sure of the colour :p

Churchy wrote: »
    Zetec model listed here http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/1.8-Tdci/200901191386816/advert but you'd have to add vrt. I think the Zetec is worth stumping up for but not sure of the colour :p

Better of with the 2.0 imho.;)

Well, I went up on Saturday and have it a test drive. Absolutely lovely car, great drive and enormous boot. Only problem was I had miscalculated the VRT! Its is a 140bhp car so the VRT was 6500 not 3500 as I had thought. :( Now looking at a 08 Passat for around 15500. Not as nice a car imo and not as many extras and the boot is not as big but its still a good car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Well, I went up on Saturday and have it a test drive. Absolutely lovely car, great drive and enormous boot. Only problem was I had miscalculated the VRT! Its is a 140bhp car so the VRT was 6500 not 3500 as I had thought. :( Now looking at a 08 Passat for around 15500. Not as nice a car imo and not as many extras and the boot is not as big but its still a good car

Hi cullenswood,

I was looking through the paper last night and seen an 07 Ford Mondeo at a garage in Lisnaskea, Co. Fermanagh - The 07 Ford Mondeo 1.8TCDI Zetec for €11,500 plus VRT. My father in law has an 07 F.M 1.8TCDI Zetec and its a cracking car.

Advertisement