Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 Mondeo - buying advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Only problem was I had miscalculated the VRT! Its is a 140bhp car so the VRT was 6500 not 3500 as I had thought.

I thought that price was to good to true, hard luck. Don't give up on the Mondeo yet though, the Passat is worthy but such a dull car to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I thought that price was to good to true, hard luck. Don't give up on the Mondeo yet though, the Passat is worthy but such a dull car to drive.

The new Passat isn't bad. It has the golf rear suspension set up which itself was a copy from the Mondeo Mk1 Estate/Focus Mk1.

I think the new passat handles quite well, indeed the new mondeo isn't supposed to be as good to drive as the previous model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

dlambirl wrote: »
    Hi cullenswood,

I was looking through the paper last night and seen an 07 Ford Mondeo at a garage in Lisnaskea, Co. Fermanagh - The 07 Ford Mondeo 1.8TCDI Zetec for €11,500 plus VRT. My father in law has an 07 F.M 1.8TCDI Zetec and its a cracking car.

Cheers for that, but I am thinking that the 08 models would have much better resale value in the future due to both the model change and the tax rate changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Cheers for that, but I am thinking that the 08 models would have much better resale value in the future due to both the model change and the tax rate changes.

I think you have made the smart decision. UK prices are moving south and you will get a lovely 2008 Titanium or Ghia for 12K sterling, or a Zetec for nearer 10K. Great value. 6 months ago that money would only get you a top spec Focus, never mind a Mondeo.

I think you have made the smart decision. UK prices are moving south and you will get a lovely 2008 Titanium or Ghia for 12K sterling, or a Zetec for nearer 10K. Great value. 6 months ago that money would only get you a top spec Focus, never mind a Mondeo.

Yeah, don't think I'll hold on too long as I don't think the fx rate will stay as favourable for too much longer. Plus are all up 'southerners' not keeping the Nordie car market stable?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭boomshackala

I'm looking for an 08 1.8 Zetec Diesel for the low tax, looking about 10-111k stg before VRT. Plenty of em on autotrader, off to the uk next month

was just on

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

No new model mondeo supported. Ho do I calculate VRT?

2nd question; Do I pay VRT on the REAL price, and if not can I apply for a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Well, I went up on Saturday and have it a test drive. Absolutely lovely car, great drive and enormous boot. Only problem was I had miscalculated the VRT! Its is a 140bhp car so the VRT was 6500 not 3500 as I had thought. :( Now looking at a 08 Passat for around 15500. Not as nice a car imo and not as many extras and the boot is not as big but its still a good car

I would'nt give up on the mondeo yet. Reducing yourself to driving a passat (even in recession times) is an big step back. Why not look at 1.8diesel mondeos instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

All the LX models are 100bhp. The zetecs are 125bhp which I have and I think it needs it (1.8TDCI). Dash is nicer than LX with CC controls but a Sony stereo unit really shows it off. Slow off the blocks but once you get to 2nd it is a great car. Huge amounts of torque although it is hard on the front tyres compared to the last one (which I had in 115bhp zetec). I currently have 56000kms after one year on mine without any problems at all. The handling is better than the old one (which was great anyway) although it feels harder to handle in icy conditions than the last one. Not sure if it is ESP kicking in that makes it feel more loose than the last one. The Mondeo is a great car and very comfy on a long trip. The 2.0 litre TDCI would be nice but the price and VRT takes a jump if you are importing. Keep looking for the Mondeo.

Damien360 wrote: »
    All the LX models are 100bhp. The zetecs are 125bhp which I have and I think it needs it (1.8TDCI). Dash is nicer than LX with CC controls but a Sony stereo unit really shows it off. Slow off the blocks but once you get to 2nd it is a great car. Huge amounts of torque although it is hard on the front tyres compared to the last one (which I had in 115bhp zetec). I currently have 56000kms after one year on mine without any problems at all. The handling is better than the old one (which was great anyway) although it feels harder to handle in icy conditions than the last one. Not sure if it is ESP kicking in that makes it feel more loose than the last one. The Mondeo is a great car and very comfy on a long trip. The 2.0 litre TDCI would be nice but the price and VRT takes a jump if you are importing. Keep looking for the Mondeo.

Started looking at the 1.8s but they seem to be going for a dearer price than the 2.0 so am getting caught both ways! :(

Advertisement