Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hibernian 30% cheaper than VHI & upto €400 cashback

• 09-01-2009 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Another week left to avail of saving of €311 on Hibernian Aviva's equivalent to VHI Plan B Option. VHI - €900pa, Hibernian Aviva - €589
    PLUS chance to get €400 cashback if you have other Hibernian Motor Insurance, House Insurance, Life Insurance and/or Travel Insurance. There are a couple of t&cs but a great deal nonetheless.

http://www.hibernian.ie/online/health/offer/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Is this for an individual or a family type plan?

I'd check myself but I'm on my phone right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

It is for an individual, a family would save about €800.

To get the 50 euro for the travel you have to take out an annual family worldwide cover policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im thinking of taking out health insurance. Would the hibernian one be good for claiming back money spent on GP's and A&E?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I changed from Quinn to Vivas (hibernian) last jan. got a good deal after Quinn increased their prices for anybody paying monthly. Very happy with them until yesterday when my renewal came.

Increased by €55 per month!!!!!!!!!! ( 4 adults we plan)

I called them and they said they announced this last March? I never heard.

Now I have to move again, this means I have been with all 3 insurers at 1 time.

Look HSA if your just looking to claim back every day expenses, can't beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Look HSA if your just looking to claim back every day expenses, can't beat them.

HSA have pulled out of Ireland and transfered their customers over to HSF....so far I've had nothing but hassle making claims with HSF and findly it a lot less customer friendly than HSA were !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

I changed from Quinn to Vivas (hibernian) last jan. got a good deal after Quinn increased their prices for anybody paying monthly. Very happy with them until yesterday when my renewal came.

And there's more increses to come from 18th Jan - over €120 per adult on all plans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

In my case, I was with Aviva on the WE plan Level 2 with no GP cover for myself, wife and son. Last year it was Ca €1,000 (Granted I think my son was basically free as he was under 1 when policy was created)

This year the policy quote was Ca €1,400. I queried attaching on some GP cover and it varied from Ca €1,700-€1,900 and in shopping around we ended up opting for Quinn as the comparable plan with GP cover came in at Ca €1,400 and I was able to avail of the €200 home insurance discount (as I have a car insured with them) which means the nett saving across both policies, home and health is between €610 - $810 (Aviva 1,700-1,900 + BOI home insurance 360 > Quinn 1,400 + Quinn Home insurance at €50 with discount).

The BOI home insurance renewal quote was a joke, and worthy of a thread in the relevant place on its own, and was kicked to the kerb double quick once it arrived a few weeks ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

I got a quote for 711EUR for an single individual.

Dont no what I should be looking for but I know it cheaper than the VHI and this looks like a good deal for insurance.

before I order is there any pitfall I should be aware off??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

If you're thinking of taking a plan out with Hibernian Health, do so before the 19th of this month and you won't have to pay the 128/adult and 42.50/child levy (this year at least, you will get hit for it next year).

I cancelled my old HH policy (which was due for renewal at the end of the month) and took out a "new" policy (from today), saving myself €341 for this year (2 adults and 2 kids). It took about 10 mins over the phone, worth looking at if you're renewing this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi,

I am a single male (27 years old) and currently have no health insurance at the moment (I know its a bit silly on my behalf. I was just wondering who you would recommend I take out insurance with in terms of the best available plan and the cheapest. Would Hibernian be the best. I heard their offer is only for people who have insurance cover ith someoone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Under current legislation, it is illegal for a health care provider in Ireland to disciminate against anyone in terms of age, gender or whether they have (or have had) private health insurance with another provider. The only thing is that if you've never had private health insurance before, and you have a pre-existing condition, you would have to wait a while (can be up to a year) before you can start claiming against it.

You are free to switch between companies willy-nilly.

The premium that an 18 year-old male who has never had insurance in his life is the same as a 65 year old woman who's been insured all her adult life.

That may change in the future, however, to "encourage" folks to take out insurance earlier on in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

ive been with hibernian for a couple of years. its gone from 38 a month to 43, and this year they want 53!! huge increase. 128 of this is due to this levy.

im looking at quinn. is it just me or are hibernian a bit misleading with they're policy comparisons?

for eg on the hib website, if you say u are with quinn health manager starter, the hib website compares it to I plan level 1 + day to day A. yet I plan level one doesnt give full private cover but quinn do. quinn has a 1 euro outpatient excess, compared to 150 with hib!!!!!!

does the levy apply to all insurers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

seriously, dont be fooled by quinn. i joined with them for one year, changing from VHI. i read the benefits clearly, yet, when i went to the hospital for a procedure i had to foot almost all the bill. for example, they only do a certain type of mri, in certain hospitals. some hospitals have a €125 bed excess, etc etc. i wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. i have never been with hibernian, but vhi, if they say pay they pay, there is no small print and them trying to wiggle out of it. even if the deal seems better than what i have, i am sticking with VHI from now on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I have my car and home insurance with Hibernian and my health insurance with VHI (first plan). My house insurance is through a broker.

I think I'd get a 200 cash back from Hibernian if I sign up, and I'd get a big saving if I switch this week before the levy kicks in. Would you agree?

Is there any Hibernian policy that would give me a private room in a public hospital, and a few GP visits? (at least 4 per year).

I pay my VHI premium monthly and I renewed it 3 weeks ago. Would I be caught to pay the VHI for the rest of the year regardless?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

This is an interesting thread to see the differing variables and opinions that people have on the varying insurers.

I have had private health insurance for approx 15 years now and have been with VHI all that time. I now have wife and two kids insured on a family policy and are paying €1800 P/Y for Family Plan Plus - this will go up a good chunk in Aug when I renew because of the Gov's poxy health levy (stealth tax).

Anyway, even though I think I am paying a little more on VHI I will likely stay with them until a really compelling reason to change comes along.

I do not like Quinn because I have heard too many stories about them being bitches for paying out on other (Car, Home etc) policies and I expect same will start happening on health too - someone has to pay for all his losses on Anglo Irish:eek:

Just not convinced about Hibernian at this stage as when you break it down and do comparisons there is not a huge difference.

Breaking it all down and considering that VHI already have all the agreements in place and generally I just give my VHI number, sign the form and all is paid for - they work best for me. We have had two kids in private hospitals during the last few years and VHI covered a big chunk of that; I paid the balance and then claimed that back against MED1 at year end so all in all it worked out not too bad.

Consider that your health is the most important asset you can have and health insurance is likely going to be the insurance you are most going to claim against in your lifetime - It is best to make sure you are with a provider that are going to make that process as seamless as possible.

Don't get me wrong - VHI make my blood boil with their price increases but guess I am happy with the devil I know!

My thoughts. hope they help.

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

One thing I am very confused with regarding Health Insurance, perhaps someone could clear it up while we are here, or explain if different companies approach it differently, is the whole A&E aspect: i.e. If I have an accident and need to go to an A&E department, does it matter if I have Health Insurance or which company I have it with?

Reading today that another person has died while waiting in A&E, obviously this is more of a pressing concern nowadays :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

A&E is a public service so private health insurance does not count for anything. You just gotta take your ticket and wait to be seen - obviously more serious issues are attended to faster; but the drunk on a Saturday night with a broken arm better get a pillow and relax for 10 hours.

Private health insurance becomes applicable if you are admitted due to what you attended A&E.

Hope this answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

A&E is a public service so private health insurance does not count for anything. You just gotta take your ticket and wait to be seen - obviously more serious issues are attended to faster; but the drunk on a Saturday night with a broken arm better get a pillow and relax for 10 hours.

Private health insurance becomes applicable if you are admitted due to what you attended A&E.

Hope this answers.
    Yes, thanks for that (though I expect if Bertie or Biffo fell over, a bed would be found quick enough in a nice penthouse room with massaging mattresses and the like). I sort of thought that was true but just can't get over exactly how dear these costs in Health insurance are then if all your getting for it is "procedures" and so on. Depressing really.

Just change your renewal date to a date this week and the prices are 589, 589, 589 and 589 for each adult. They are adding the cost of the levy next week, €128 net for adult and €42.40 for a child. Even with the levy being added Hibernian is still cheaper than VHI for a comparable product by €189.

If you are looking for cash back for visiting a doctor you have the wrong plan or add day to day. Try Biz Plan Plus with Hibernian Aviva, Healthmanager with Quinn or Health Step Silver or Gold with VHI.

abakan wrote: »
    I got a quote for 711EUR for an single individual.

Dont no what I should be looking for but I know it cheaper than the VHI and this looks like a good deal for insurance.

before I order is there any pitfall I should be aware off??

You will get I plan level 2 for €589 per annum if you take it out by Friday. The levy will be added on at the weekend, €128. Don't forget that Hibernian Aviva Health are taking legal action in relation to the levy http://www.axethelevy.com BUT if they are successful in their legal challenge anyone who has paid the levy will get their money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

broker2008 wrote: »
    You will get I plan level 2 for €589 per annum if you take it out by Friday. The levy will be added on at the weekend, €128. Don't forget that Hibernian Aviva Health are taking legal action in relation to the levy http://www.axethelevy.com BUT if they are successful in their legal challenge anyone who has paid the levy will get their money back.

Even better, get I Plan Level 2 XS for something like €30 cheaper again. Same benefits, but you pay €75 if you're treated in a private hospital.

As an aside, I'm not happy to see QUINN or Hibernian charge a levy that hasn't been signed into legislation yet. Or has it been signed off on the QT?

It's good that Hibernian say they will give the levy back, but why should someone pay it in the first place if Hibernian aren't obliged to pass it on? And will Hibernian pay back the interest as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

as i think i mentioned above, my renewal from Me Plan Level 2 with Hibernian is due on 30 Jan, at 677. So i rang today, cancelled my policy with effect from friday and at the same time a new policy will commence. cost of this policy, 549. sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 surfbored

I've just received my renewal from Hibernian. It's gone from €83.40/mth to €119.50/mth. That's a 43% increase! Not happy. It's the 'we plan level 2' for myself and my wife. Don't think we can afford to renew. Think we'll have to head for eastern europe if we get sick. Better health system, no waiting, fraction of the cost...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

surfbored wrote: »
    I've just received my renewal from Hibernian. It's gone from €83.40/mth to €119.50/mth. That's a 43% increase! Not happy. It's the 'we plan level 2' for myself and my wife. Don't think we can afford to renew. Think we'll have to head for eastern europe if we get sick. Better health system, no waiting, fraction of the cost...

Check out the Health Insurance Authority's website (www.hia.ie) and see what other products are out there that may suit you better.

Also, get onto Hibernian and ask them to quote you for similar products that aren't publicly advertised, e.g. their Smart Plan, Biz Plan etc. Hibernian have a number of tailored products that may be better value for you, but they don't shout about them.

surfbored wrote: »

That's because when you joined you probably got a promotional price with 10% discount, then a single digit medical inflation price increase in October and then approx 22% is due to health levy being applied today.

There is bad news and good news though:

Bad news: if you had renewed your policy yesterday when you posted, you would have got the price without the health levy :(

Good news: the Hibernian Aviva premium is still over 25% cheaper than VHI Plan B Options:)

Advertisement