Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever drunk on an airplane?

Options
  • 09-01-2009 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭

I was talking to a few friends of mine who said they were travelling to OZ last year, and they were saying how it was free drinks on the plane the whole way there. Being Irish and right greedy bastids they jumped at the chance and drank all around them. They had a stopover (Singapore I think) and they said they were that drunk they can only remember bits of going through the airport to their connecting flights.

My immediate reaction is that I wouldn't drink at all in fear of getting drunk and missing my flight and being elft in Singapore and missing my connection flight.

I know Boardsies are a well travelled bunch so my question is, would you, or have you ever gotten drunk on an Airplane?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Oh dear.

Edit: I just realised what you meant by "pissed." No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Drank solid the whole way to the states when were were going on J1 years back. But we didn't get so blind drunk that we didn't remember. Might be showing my age here now but in fairness that would just be stupid! Time and place and all that... It's grand to have a few drinks, but it's a fairly confined place and you can't be shouting and roaring and trying to score with the one next to you like!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

anyone ever drank urine on a plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Never pissed, although certainly merry on a flight to Madrid with friends one year...

The previous year in Amsterdam airport, coming back, we emptied our pockets into an uber-joint and then took on the airport - 1 guy went blind, a second guy just kept walking him into people as we were checking in, for the laugh, the 3rd guy went off and bought about 10 hats while I ended up in a bookshop buying aload of newspapers & magazines...not surprisingly we were searched at security (the hats were a give-away) but oh no - no drugs on us;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

i got pis*Ed flying to denmark once, there were 10 people on the plane so the airhostess was mad to give us free drink. Great fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Heading to Scotland for a match once ... was in CFJ's the night before and got home just in time to meet the taxi I had ordered to the airport for an early moring Ryanair flight!

Little or no recollection of the journey to the airport, the airport itself or even getting on the plane, just remember an air hostess trying to wake me and when I asked her where I was she said Glasgow! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i cannot fly unless im very drunk due to my fear of flying

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

BA is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

I got trashed on a flight over to Scotland, 3 hours in the airport pub before getting on the plane and drinking a bottle of vodka with a mate in an hour. stumbled through Edinburgh trying to find a bus to Dundee...

Good times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm normally drunk when I fly. Although apparently if you're the pilot it's frowned upon so Ryanair fired me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Was heading to Edinburgh for Hogmanay with the lads a few years back and we decided that seeing as our flight was at 8am we should just stay up the night before drinking. It was another mate's 21st that evening so needless to say we were generous enough with the nectar.

About 6am, we managed to find a taxi from Dun Laoghaire up to the aircoachin Stillorgan (no idea how). Anyway, a quick McDonald's (they were only serving breakfast so I didn't even eat it all), and then on to the plane.

As we were taxiing out I reckon I must've dozed off because next thing you know we were still taxiing but everyone started getting ready to hop off the plane. Didn't believe my mate when he said we were already there, shortest flight ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not too along after Lockerbie I took one of the last Pan Am flights before the company went bust, There was only about 100 passengers on the Boeing 747. The hostesses gave out unlimited drinks through the flight, I took advantage of it, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Turncoat

Drank about 6 cans on my 9 hr London - Delhi flight. But stopped and slept when I realised that I had to attend my friends marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

answer; yes.. and I nearly missed my flight! Although when I saw the thread I began thinking to myself "is there somewhere I haven't been drunk that I have been sober?".. hospital is the only place I can think of currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Once on the way to the US in '99. Just finished my final exams, and had been drinking up to and including the flight. I remember I drank gin & juice (like the Snoop song) until it came out my ears.

Decided a cigarette was in order, so copped a couple drags in the jacks of the airplane (I know!). Stumbled back to my seat, a Virgin Airways male steward comes over:

Him: Sir, were you just smoking a cigarette in the toilet?
    Me (indignant and inebriated): No, and I'm quite offended by the implication!
    Him: Well, sir, we'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt on this occasion...
    Me (warming to the theme): There's no benefit of doubt to give, I wasn't smoking, end of discussion!

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Got a flight to San Fransisco with 8 others 2 years ago. The booze was free (God bless BA) and we actually drank the plane dry. Had great craic with the airhostess' and eventually when I'd go up to them to get more drink they'd just say "well you know where it is, go ahead"
    We were all mashed, and in bits for about 3 days afterwards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Did anyone else think that the ear-pain when you land was about 10 times worse when drunk? Went to the airport straight from a club in brussels and I don't know if it was tiredness or alcohol but I literally thought my head was going to explode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Heading to Scotland for a match once ... was in CFJ's the night before and got home just in time to meet the taxi I had ordered to the airport for an early moring Ryanair flight!

Little or no recollection of the journey to the airport, the airport itself or even getting on the plane, just remember an air hostess trying to wake me and when I asked her where I was she said Glasgow! :o

class :)

I was in gran canaria a few years back (The first holiday with my now wife) and we had a big night out in the irish centre on the last night. We went to some weird nightcluib afterwards.

As we got fell of the cab (It was daylight by this time), we saw a lady with a clipboard banging on the apartment door, turns out she was the budget travle rep wondering why we were'nt on board the coach...we could hardly ****ing stand.

We ended up getting a cab to the airport and there was a discussion with the despatchers as to whether or not we sould be let on the plane as we were so drunk :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've become increasingly afraid of flying, so am usually tipsy going on most flights these days.

I once bumped into one of our company executives in the airport bar, early in the morning, putting back a double brandy by myself. She was, of course, only having a coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

carlop wrote: »
    Did anyone else think that the ear-pain when you land was about 10 times worse when drunk?

Ear-pain? Bah - wuss!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I was talking to a few friends of mine who said they were travelling to OZ last year, and they were saying how it was free drinks on the plane the whole way there. Being Irish and right greedy bastids they jumped at the chance and drank all around them.

Drank pretty much the whole way as well bar maybe an hour or two of sleep. Good craic at the time but added with the jetlag and the lack of sleep it can really **** you mentally.

I had planned on giving myself a break in Frankfurt passing through, but a bottle of water was 5.20 whereas a can of beer was about a euro in the same shop. No contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Try it, it's fun!

I don't like flying all that much so it's good to get a bit tipsy (not hammered) and relax and have a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Flying sucks, plane food sucks, getting drunk in a pressurized cabin sucks.

I usually have one drink and a handful of benzos and wake up when I get there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 grainne whale

I normally have a few glasses of wine before I fly, I'm now going to do one of those 'Fear of Flying' courses, just think of the money I'll save!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I was talking to a few friends of mine who said they were travelling to OZ last year, and they were saying how it was free drinks on the plane the whole way there. Being Irish and right greedy bastids they jumped at the chance and drank all around them. They had a stopover (Singapore I think) and they said they were that drunk they can only remember bits of going through the airport to their connecting flights.

My immediate reaction is that I wouldn't drink at all in fear of getting drunk and missing my flight and being elft in Singapore and missing my connection flight.

I know Boardsies are a well travelled bunch so my question is, would you, or have you ever gotten drunk on an Airplane?

I thought been sober on a plane was a rare thing not been drunk..

wtf would you do for 12 hours?

sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Similarly, I cannot fly unless drunk due to my love of booze.

Always pissed on long haul flights and tipsy on short hauls.

On a flight to the States with 3 mates we got so pissed that the crew told us there was none left because we'd drunk it all. We knew they were holding back so stole a load of drink from their little cubby holes on our way back from the bathroom. It's surprisingly easy to do.
    One of the lads got caught though but he's a lovable rogue who ended up with a load of booze and the hostess's number in New York.

When we were told to take our seats for landing two of us were running up and down the aisle making airplane noises and our arms out like wings. Everyone was pissing themselves laughing at us. Who needs an inflight movie where there's an on-board caberet?

Oh to be 28 again....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

yeh i was drunk on a trip from germany to singapore, from singapore to australia and australia to thailand,
    oh and on the return from the states i got onto the plane locked...

the reasons were simple, from dublin was like 40 hours or some **** straight of flying, i got to point i cudnt sleep, so decided id get locked... may no of been best idea, but i eventually passed out and all made sense to my sleep deprived head... gotta love the free drink! :p

the was home from states, was there was a huge going away party hald for us by americans we made friends with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

ntlbell wrote: »
    I thought been sober on a plane was a rare thing not been drunk..

wtf would you do for 12 hours?

sleep?

masturbate furiously under a blanket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Never really drunk but I had the mother of all comedowns after a 10 day session here and in the UK, flying back from Manchester on that little aer arann plane was horrible not only for me but all the other poor soles on that plane. My knuckles had started bleeding my skin was so dry, I looked like something out of a horror film.

Advertisement