Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Maynooth / Campus safe?

• 09-01-2009 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm not a student at NUIM, but I'm going to be attending an event there in Feb which means I'll be staying in accommodation in the South Campus on a Fri night.
    I'm going to be on my own, so I'm wondering is Maynooth generally a safe area for a girl to be walking about alone at around 9-10 at night.
    Is it safe you walk around the campus grounds alone, from the town to the campus etc?
    Where's close by to get something to eat at that time? Even a McD's would do.
    I'm staying in some eerie seminary or something. How far of a walk is it from here to the John Hume building?
    Is there much parking around the John Hume building if I wanted to move my car over to there on the Sat morn, or would I be as well leave my car where it is & walk?
    Sorry for all the stupid q's.
    Cheers,
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I would say campus is safe and Maynooth in general during the week (weekends can be dodge in the village at night). I;m a guy but I've never once felt not unsafe or had any trouble. In saying that though where you're staying could be a bit scary if it is your first time in Maynooth. Not much light around at night.

You are talking ten mins walk to John Hume. It can take longer to drive depending on traffic and the traffic lights but it dosen't matter and on sat there'll be loads of parking.

For food, Dunnes will be open at that time as well as all the take away's (chinease, supermac's) which are just on the main street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Thanks for that Beau.
    Well tbh, I think I'll arrive up around 9. Just go for something to eat & then straight to bed anyway, but just wanted to know if it was dodgy cos I wouldn't feel safe walking through the campus to the town for something to eat without knowing it's ok.
    Yea, I'd say it'll be spooky alright, & no doubt completely haunted!!!
    I'll prob be sharing my bed with god knows what that night!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

2-5 in the morning, Friday and Saturday night is the only time Maynooth is dodgy. Maynooth is one of the safest places I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    2-5 in the morning, Friday and Saturday night is the only time Maynooth is dodgy. Maynooth is one of the safest places I know.

Ah, g'wan outa dat. What about around exam time? :D

/psycho math student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

'I'm staying in some eerie seminary or something'

That them rooms over in Hogwarts? they're meant to be quite nice. Can't imagine stumbling in there from The Roost, I'll stick with the roommates floor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Where you will be is safe, the Garda station is right around the corner, and there is usually a few people around at that time. I've never felt unsafe in Maynooth at all, even walking around at 3am drunk as a skunk.

There is loads of parking around JH, especially on a Saturday morning. Mon-Fri, 9-12ish parking is extreamly hard to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Just don't go near the banks or the backlanes and you will be fine by yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

PrivateEye wrote: »
    That them rooms over in Hogwarts?

Ha ha! I like it!!! ;)
    Yea, that's where I'm staying alright.

Thanks for all the advice folks.
    I'm a lot more reassured now.

Cheers,
    BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭waghag

I walk through town weeknights at about 11 after getting off the bus and it's fine. The rooms on south campus are actually lovely , clean , bright etc.. definately not haunted!!lol! The seminary is in a different building -opposite you I think , but as someone said they're a bit too 'classy' ,for want of a better word, to fall into drunk! You'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Ha ha! I like it!!! ;)
    Yea, that's where I'm staying alright.

Thanks for all the advice folks.
    I'm a lot more reassured now.

Cheers,
    BB

That's St. Mary's and a particular landing over there is haunted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Darragh29 wrote: »
    That's St. Mary's and a particular landing over there is haunted.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You'll be grand. Roost for food/drinks then home(college) to bed, is what i'd suggest. Also the walk to hume is about 10mins and you walk through the campus during daylight hours so you'll encounter no trouble, unless an angry squirrell wayslays you outside the library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Stay away from those scumbags up in moyglare village. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Spent 4 years in Maynooth and never felt unsafe. And I was one of many stupid girls that often walked home from house parties/pubs on my own at all hours of the morning. Always felt safe and never heard of anything happening to anyone while I was there but I wouldn't recommend walking anywhere at night in this country on your own so Maynooth is as safe as it can be. Enjoy your stay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 donkey.ie

Stay away from those scumbags up in moyglare village. :pac:
    Can you expand on that please? I was thinking of renting there, does Moyglare Village have problems? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

hehe think that was a joke donkey.ie, moyglare village grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Ha, yeah I can vouch for that. Moyglare is quiet enough, when we're not around. Moving to the Abbey this week though, I'll let you know how nice it is there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 donkey.ie

Beau wrote: »
    hehe think that was a joke donkey.ie, moyglare village grand.
    Ha, yeah I can vouch for that. Moyglare is quiet enough, when we're not around. Moving to the Abbey this week though, I'll let you know how nice it is there too!
    Great. Thanks to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I live there! Houses, people, atmosphere - everything is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Is it safe you walk around the campus grounds alone, from the town to the campus etc?
    Where's close by to get something to eat at that time? Even a McD's would do.

Both campuses - Old/South Campus (where you'll be staying) and New/North (where JH building is) have 24 hour security.

The Old Campus gets locked at nighttime (round midnight), but if you're staying on campus security can let you in after hours. If you ever need it, their number is 017083929 - that will put you directly in touch with their walkie-talkies.

There's also a number for major emergencies - 017083333.

re: Eating - I'd also say The Roost is nice & closest to where you're staying. We don't have a McDonald's yet, but rumour is one is coming!
    We do have a Supermacs though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

PrivateEye wrote: »
    That them rooms over in Hogwarts? they're meant to be quite nice.

Oh yes. Lovely.

*maniacal laugh*

I've stayed over there during exam weeks. It's not a bad place, it's just mental. The rooms are freezing. One room I was in had a window that wouldn't close. One time they double booked me and I had to stay in the infirmary. i was in this room with a really old fashioned weighing scales, 5 pictures and 2 statuettes of Mary and a stained glass window. I'd never seen so many cobwebs in one room.

There's a kettle in the room, right? Seems normal enough. Until you realise that the only plug socket in the room is A) in the skirting board about 2 inches off the ground B) the kettles have a 6 inch cable, and C) the socket (I found this after much searching) behind the bed, so if you want to make tea then you have to actually drag the bed into the middle of the room and put the kettle on the floor.

Again, it's not a bad place, just a bit crazy. You get what you pay for though. Cheap room, comfortable bed. Somewhere to crash.

Advertisement