Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Structural Engineer?

• 09-01-2009 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading through the recent Homebond release and spotted a bit in it about storey and a half roofs where it states that structural steel and a ring beam wall plate should be used. Is this necessary and if so is it a structural engineers job or would an Architect Tech suffice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

I was reading through the recent Homebond release and spotted a bit in it about storey and a half roofs where it states that structural steel and a ring beam wall plate should be used. Is this necessary and if so is it a structural engineers job or would an Architect Tech suffice?

ideally the roof should be designed. a structural engineer is often the best person to do this as normally arch techs PI would cover structural design.

Normally we would include structural steel in all cut roofs other than bungalows particularly where the spans are large as it can avoid excessive timber section sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd say each roof is different. Loads will depend on a number of things - spans etc.

Homebond also had a paragraph on Dormer roof construction "to be designed by Structural Engineer in private practice with full Professional Indemnity Insurance"
    Stops Builders having a go and indicates the need for professional advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thanks to both of ye. I think I'll go with a SE because simply the implications of getting it wrong are too high.

Anyone got any ideas roughly how much this would cost?

Advertisement