Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE domain names only 10 euro form blacknight - only for today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

trying to get the lowdown on proof needed for a .ie domain, its terrible the way you dont have to proove a claim to a name on .com but have to on .ie silly managed domain registry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Can I renew an existing ie domain for this price? Anyone know if this would work?

Ask customer support, they are very helpful and have Live Chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Order placed :)
    It's a 2 year registration deal, so comes to €24.30 inc. VAT.
    Very easy to do, and accepts Laser too!
    You'll need to send a signed fax, or posted letter, to Blacknight to complete registration, but apart from that, it's fairly straight forward.

Thanks smallgod!

I sent the letter off there, you have to say its a website of intent of purpose and not for conducting business and then your ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

trying to get the lowdown on proof needed for a .ie domain, its terrible the way you dont have to proove a claim to a name on .com but have to on .ie silly managed domain registry

A much better controlled domain imo. Fair play I say. The domain names really mean something then.

Here is the lowdown
    . It's fairly clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

what price per annum will you need to pay after 2 years ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Rooy wrote: »
    what price per annum will you need to pay after 2 years ?

Standard one year is 19.95 ex VAT by the looks of things.

But you don't have to choose 2 years by default, you can choose anything between 1 year and ten years, and then putting in the coupon code gives you the price at 10 per year + VAT.

I just ordered a one-year myself. Now I just need to sort hosting, think I have that digiweb student hosting package from a while back, wonder if that will work....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Stupid question l guess but can I register a personal name if I'm not based in the ROI or NI? It seems not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

How do you prove you have a link to that name if you have just made it up ( ie its not your name your companies or anyone elses ? ) It says you need to send a letter outlining your claim to that name but i ve no idea what to put ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

But you don't have to choose 2 years by default, you can choose anything between 1 year and ten years, and then putting in the coupon code gives you the price at 10 per year + VAT.
    The 10 euro price works on 1 year and 2 year registrations.

It won't work on a 10 year registration - sorry :)

Dingatron wrote: »
    Can I renew an existing ie domain for this price? Anyone know if this would work?
    You can transfer an existing IE domain from another provider at that price

Vokes wrote: »
    Stupid question l guess but can I register a personal name if I'm not based in the ROI or NI? It seems not.

See http://www.pdn.ie for details.

Personal names are restricted to Irish residents / citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

What price would it normally be?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's a pretty good deal!

While I was in there I checked my ownname.com domain - which I used to have but lost when it lapsed - it's available again for €8!

Fool me once... can't fool me... fool me... whatever - it's back we me now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

blacknight wrote: »
    See http://www.pdn.ie for details.

Personal names are restricted to Irish residents / citizens
    Thanks blacknight.

The personal name section on pdn.ie appears to say that a person must be resident in the 32 counties to register a personal name. I'm an Irish national but am resident on UK mainland at the moment. So it would seem that I cannot register a personal name?

But then there's a note that says "All applicants applying for a .ie domain name who are not situated in the 32 counties of Ireland, must demonstrate a Real and Substantive Connection with Ireland" - which would imply that I can register a personal name - presumably with my Irish passport?

Vokes wrote: »
    Thanks blacknight.

The personal name section on pdn.ie appears to say that a person must be resident in the 32 counties to register a personal name. I'm an Irish national but am resident on UK mainland at the moment. So it would seem that I cannot register a personal name?

But then there's a note that says "All applicants applying for a .ie domain name who are not situated in the 32 counties of Ireland, must demonstrate a Real and Substantive Connection with Ireland" - which would imply that I can register a personal name - presumably with my Irish passport?
    Basically PDNs are open to residents + citizens, so the passport should be fine.

Please please please be careful with the format i.e follow exactly what they say, as they reject a lot of variants that aren't listed, but might appear logical

eg. if everyone calls you Mick and your ID says Michael, they probably won't give it to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Dades, where is the ownname.com domain for €8? Dot coms are €12.50 for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

hmm, last time i looked at IE domains they were like 60e or 80e.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

samhail wrote: »
    hmm, last time i looked at IE domains they were like 60e or 80e.

The iedr have slowly (and I mean slowly) reduced prices over the past few years. This is another in those reductions - although Blacknight seem to have jumped the gun on the next set of reductions - albiet for one day

All iedr registrars pay the same price, including the people I work with (I do work for another of the tier A IEDR registrars), and Michele's company (Blacknight) are just passing the savings along (although I expect hoping you'll throw some hosting their way(!))

• Advertisement

davork wrote: »
    The iedr have slowly (and I mean slowly) reduced prices over the past few years. This is another in those reductions - although Blacknight seem to have jumped the gun on the next set of reductions - albiet for one day

All iedr registrars pay the same price, including the people I work with (I do work for another of the tier A IEDR registrars), and Michele's company (Blacknight) are just passing the savings along (although I expect hoping you'll throw some hosting their way(!))
    That's not entirely true. Selling them at 10 euro is well below the cost price.

cost price kind of made me smile :)
    cost price of a domain is what ? a few records in an a record and an mx record. cost of lookups on the IEDR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There may not be a lot of work involved in managing a domain, but Blacknight has to pay a fixed fee to the IEDR, and as a fellow reseller I can confirm that this offer is below cost.

And it's not just maintaining a few records, there's also personnel, offices, rackspace and servers, light and heat, coffee and biscuits, etc...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭onlinegamer

will this offer be running anytime again in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

blacknight wrote: »
    That's not entirely true. Selling them at 10 euro is well below the cost price.

I know, but wasn't going to state it was below cost price(!)

Still at the rate the .ie prices are reducing they'll get there eventually - heck at this rate they may become cheaper than .uk (I know, I know, completely off topic and I'll wait for your comments on nom-steer LOL )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smallgod

Is there a way of marking this thread as expired? I see other threads with an expired prefix but I don't know how to change it.

hit edit, and then go advanced.
    should have the tags available to change, and find expired in there

Advertisement