Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to buy compact digital camera with a good zoom

• 09-01-2009 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I am looking to buy a compact digital camera with a good zoom. Does any one have any suggestions?

My current camera has an optical zoom of x3 which is fairly poor for any distance. I don't want to go down the SLR road as I want one I can put in my bag that is easy to carry around.

Is there anything out there that would have a fairly good zoom - I am willing to pay up to €500 for it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Please see the Sticky "Which camera should I buy?"

Put in the details & you should get a list of suitable models with links to reviews. If you need advice then come back & ask.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gooner1

Cool, thanks Ill check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gooner1

Hey,

Has anyone any experience using the Panasonic Lumix TZ5?
    It has an optical zoom of x10 and 9.1 Megapixels?

It seems to have the best zoom out there for a compact SLR. Anything bigger boarders on an SLR. The Kodak Z980 which is coming out in April has an optical zoom of x24 but the camera itself is too big for what I am looking for.

Thanks!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

take a look at Camera Labs best compacts. They have video review of TZ5 here for each camera as well on the review page.

they also have a section for super zooms/bridge cameras but you said these are too big for you.

I bought the Panasonic FZ28 for £210 from Camerabox. It's €440 in my local bricks and motar shop!

I was thinking of a dslr but too expensive once you add on zoom lens etc. I didn't want a compact as I want to have as many options, features etc as possible without having a dslr.
    Most site reviews put the Panasonic and Canon Posershot SX10 at the same high level.....but these are too big for you.

Advertisement