Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mixed Bag

• 09-01-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been using Ubuntu at home for awhile and I'm starting to lose patience.

Sure it's open and its free and its all very nice but it constantly fails to be as immediately useful as my xp box.

For instance I bought my wife a new phone for xmas, an LG Viewty.
    What do we think happened when I plugged it into my Ubuntu box? Feck all.

I know if I looked for it i might be able to find a program to access it but to bit honest i'm bored having to always find work arounds for problems. (if anyone has a solution for this problem i'd love to hear it).

Ready for mass consumption? I don't think so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This is a common complaint. But to be honest it's not the fault of Linux that manufacturers won't support it. The Viewty isn't supported on OSX either by LG.

Anyhoo:

1. Plug in the Viewty.
    2. From a terminal run 'dmesg'. You'll get something like this:
    [ 9646.670187] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
    [ 9646.670189] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00
    [ 9646.670192] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [ 9646.670198]  sdc: sdc1
    [ 9646.779347] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk

In this example the device is found on device sdc.

3. Create a directory to mount it into.
    sudo mkdir /mnt/viewty

4. Mount the device.
    sudo mount -t autofs /dev/sdc /mnt/viewty

If you want to mount it automatically everytime then add a line to fstab to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

joe_dunne wrote: »
    Sure it's open and its free and its all very nice but it constantly fails to be as immediately useful as my xp box.

I think you've found your solution right there. If you'd prefer to use XP then go for out. But there must be some reason you wanted to try something else...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you want to carry out basic tasks such as e-mail, word processing and internet, then you can do that out with very little effort using Linux.

It's not quite there yet for mass consumer items such as mobile phones and digital cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

joe_dunne wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been using Ubuntu at home for awhile and I'm starting to lose patience.

For instance I bought my wife a new phone for xmas, an LG Viewty.
    What do we think happened when I plugged it into my Ubuntu box? Feck all.

I know if I looked for it i might be able to find a program to access it but to bit honest i'm bored having to always find work arounds for problems. (if anyone has a solution for this problem i'd love to hear it).

Ready for mass consumption? I don't think so.

I hear you and am struggling through Ubuntu as a Newbie. What got me with XP was when I downloaded a 400kb app called SyncToy to back up files. Quite a nice bit of software from MS and its syncs only changed data. I lost it when I tried to install it and had to download another 60MB just to get it running. I decided there and then that I would make every effort to go without MS if possible.

When I loose hope I have a look at this vid on youtube and there are many more, the GUI on Ubuntu Beryl is class and its taking desktops a step further. I agree its not easy but I think we have become to used to not pushing ourselves to learn somthing new and as a whole thats not great for progressing technology. So in the hope that I can break Ubuntu before it breaks me I will struggle on and hope that in losing a few battles I will win the war.

WINDOWS VISTA AERO VS LINUX UBUNTU BERYL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

hmmn, the peripheral isn't recognised therefore the OS is pants. Dunno if I would agree with your reasoning there. Of all the most troublesome problems with 'nix that I've had its been with external devices of some description, bluetooth mice, skype handsets, webcams scanners printers....... The thing all these bits of hardware had in common that outside of a ms windows environment they were unsupported or poorly supported. 2 suggestions Joe regarding using Ubuntu with external devices, ask google before buying anything to see what are the ones to use and what to avoid.
    the other thing is to send a mail to LG telling them that how disapointed you were with the problems you experienced and ask them when are they going to start improving linux compatability
    with regard to your comment about XP i can only think of how steve jobs decsribed bluray support. "A bag of hurt" sums up how xp is for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Every peripheral device I've bought came with a CD for Windows. Without that CD they would be useless in Windows. Whereas, I got all of them working in Ubuntu without any CD at all. Selah.

Advertisement