Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saw an Interesting little incident in Newry

Options
  • 09-01-2009 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭

Was driving through newry last weekend after visting the folks and chuckled at an incident that happened coming up to the bridge before the hill up to the M1.

Basically it was quiet enough and there was maybe 6 or 7 northy reg cars in the left hand lane to go straight on up the hill when a Dublin reg comes down the right hand lane straight to the top of the queue then does the old indicate left attempt to force his way in. Basically nobody let him in and he had to wait for the few cars to go through the lights and he followed at the back of the queue! I actually said to Mrs jaysoose "watch you man he thinks he will get in by being a cheeky f**ker". The guy was going mental giving out.

Thought it was hilarious and the newry lads must be getting a bit miffed with all the extra traffic around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well done Nordies :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Which road was this? The M1 is nowhere near Newry - it goes from Belfast to Dungannon.
    There is an M1 south of the border but this stops at Dundalk before continuing as the N1 (which meets the A1 at the border).

Presumably you mean the A1 but I can't place a bridge before the hill (is this the hill at the Forkhill Rd. roundabout?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

I assume he means coming up the Dublin road to the roundabout which links the A1 / Forkhill Road where turning left brings you back towards the N1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

There is a similar sort of junction in Santry just after the bridge at Whitehall, left lane straight on, right only for right turns. You always get chancers going down the right lane and trying to skip the queue and the same thing happened recently where two chancers tried to force their way and nobody let them out, everyone in the correct lane saw what was coming and sort of tailgated each other so there was no room for these guys to get in and they had to wait until everyone had passed before they could go.
    At that stage the lights had gone red and the cars coming across the juntion the other way then blasted them out of it for blocking the road. It was like an assault on two fronts.

How I laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Two good stories here OP and Noopti, justice!

Having said that I do that sort of thing all the time on a scooter, I don't slow anybody down though, honest :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

kbannon wrote: »
    Which road was this? The M1 is nowhere near Newry - it goes from Belfast to Dungannon.
    There is an M1 south of the border but this stops at Dundalk before continuing as the N1 (which meets the A1 at the border).

Presumably you mean the A1 but I can't place a bridge before the hill (is this the hill at the Forkhill Rd. roundabout?).

Should have been more specific, the junction at the botton of the dublin road (kfc in front of you) actually in newry just before the shopping centre. You know the bridge were the left lane takes you up the hill towards the rounabout for the A1 and the right hand lane is right hand turn only. Bit sketchy on road names as i dont really pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nordies are far better at refusing to let in people who are breaking the rules; and yet they also understand 'merge in turn' for 2 lanes down to 1. 8 southern reg cars wouldn't let me out of the right hand lane at the end of the A1 border DC, first nordie car did. My car is southern reg...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Was driving through newry last weekend after visting the folks and chuckled at an incident that happened coming up to the bridge before the hill up to the M1.

Basically it was quiet enough and there was maybe 6 or 7 northy reg cars in the left hand lane to go straight on up the hill when a Dublin reg comes down the right hand lane straight to the top of the queue then does the old indicate left attempt to force his way in. Basically nobody let him in and he had to wait for the few cars to go through the lights and he followed at the back of the queue! I actually said to Mrs jaysoose "watch you man he thinks he will get in by being a cheeky f**ker". The guy was going mental giving out.

Thought it was hilarious and the newry lads must be getting a bit miffed with all the extra traffic around.

is this not just after where the sign says 'use two lanes and merge in turn' .. it wouldn't have been the dublin reg fella fault if everyone else queued in the left lane leaving the right hand lane empty. If that is the case fair play to him for actually reading and obeying the signs. Those who didn't allow him to merge in turn were in the wrong.

Correct me if I am wrong on the above, but I drove up that way last week and everyone queued in the left lane leaving a good couple of hundred meters of the right hand lane empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I was on Oxford Road in Ranelagh in the right lane turning right on to Charleston Road before Christmas. I had my right indicator on as did the four cars behind me. This idiot in an Alfa comes up the left lane past all five cars in the queue ahead of him and indicates right. A break comes in the traffic and I go to take my turn only to realise that the guy to my left is cutting me up so I yield to him begrudgingly.

Followed him for a while as we were headed in the same direction. About 5 minutes later when we came to Church Avenue in Rathmines he obviously wasn't paying attention to what he was doing and ran straight into the back of a 08 Golf GTI. Not much damage done and I felt sorry for the guy in the Golf but I could not help feeling that the guy in the Alfa got his comeuppance.

Classic plonker driving.

whippet wrote: »
    is this not just after where the sign says 'use two lanes and merge in turn' .. it wouldn't have been the dublin reg fella fault if everyone else queued in the left lane leaving the right hand lane empty. If that is the case fair play to him for actually reading and obeying the signs. Those who didn't allow him to merge in turn were in the wrong.

Correct me if I am wrong on the above, but I drove up that way last week and everyone queued in the left lane leaving a good couple of hundred meters of the right hand lane empty.

This would apply if the lane was full maybe but the there were only 6 or 7 cars and he reckoned he probably owned the road as he spent a few quid in tesco so he could obviously go to the top of the queue and cut in. He was being a d*ck and rightly nobody let him in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

whippet wrote: »

I'm thinking its up the hill to go South out of Newry, as coming in is down the hill. OP able to confirm?

MYOB wrote: »
    I'm thinking its up the hill to go South out of Newry, as coming in is down the hill. OP able to confirm?

Its the bridge actually in newry just before the shopping centres, as if you are heading out of newry to dublin. Its actually the Dublin bridge after looking at google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Its the bridge actually in newry just before the shopping centres, as if you are heading out of newry to dublin. Its actually the Dublin bridge after looking at google maps.

Perhaps you mean Bridge St. The canal and river bridges in Newry are north of the Buttercrane and Quays shopping centres, so coming from Dublin you do not cross them to reach these shopping centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

ardmacha wrote: »
    Perhaps you mean Bridge St. The canal and river bridges in Newry are north of the Buttercrane and Quays shopping centres, so coming from Dublin you do not cross them to reach these shopping centres.

I know exactly where he means. His second description was spot on. Think KFC straight ahead, 2 lanes of traffic. Right lane takes you toward Buttercrane and Canal Court. Left lane takes you toward Dublin and entrance to the Quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

I know exactly where he means. His second description was spot on. Think KFC straight ahead, 2 lanes of traffic. Right lane takes you toward Buttercrane and Canal Court. Left lane takes you toward Dublin and entrance to the Quays.

Spot on mate. However to be fair a lot of cars in the left lane are going to Warrenpoint so it's a bit of a gamble as to whether you are being clever using the right lane or not. I have used the right lane a lot of times to get ahead of the Warrenpoint traffic and it has backfired a few times when I actually DID turn right although not because I wanted to!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

T'would be the canal bridge so.

Good that these right laners are kept out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Moral of the story Northern Drivers are arrogant f*cks and have absolutly no road manners it wouldn't kill one driver to let him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭stesaurus

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Moral of the story Northern Drivers are arrogant f*cks and have absolutly no road manners it wouldn't kill one driver to let him in.

Honestly I'm in awe of your ignorance and general idiocy. Oh and I'm not just talking about your post, your sig is a fine piece of work also.

Back on topic, I love to see things like that happen. I can't stand drivers who think their more important than everyone else and shouldn't have to waste their time in traffic. Great to see some justice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Another boards belter,the OP posts a great little tale and the entire thread is petty bickering over where the road is,there isn't a smiley apt enough so here goes...... YAAAAAWN

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As I manage to stay on topic at least:

I know this road OP. It can be mental for traffic but nobody should ever let him in and just for good nature they should let him back in at least 4 cars further back just to scandalise him some more.

Every morning on a certain roundabout somebody drives down the white lane of the road connecting onto the roundabout and then goes into the right lane around the inner orbital lane and takes the second exit. Well this morning for whatever reason the inner orbital lane was not moving and said Punto driver tries to get back into the left lane and onto the outer orbital lane. No such luck dumbo. I think around 10 more cars past her by.

Tough ****! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I would have presumed the Southern reg was lost. Just like I would if it was a Northern reg or any non Dublin reg and let him in.

Then again, I'm mature.

Advertisement