Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your First Rock/Metal Album?

• 09-01-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, what what your first Rock/Metal album? Did anyone get something terrible that's buried at the back of a CD drawer, never to see the light of day :) ? Did anyone pick up an album that basically defined their musical preferences?

My first album was Use Your Illusion 1 on tape from Zhivagos in Eyre Square in Galway in 1991. I had gotten a present of a bright red walkman and had nothing to play on it. I hadn't really developed any musical preferences back then (I was 12) so I wandered into the shop to be confronted with a bewildering array of brightly-coloured album covers. Guns N' Roses had been featured in the Sunday Times magazine recently (they were in the middle of their world tour at the time) and so I picked up the first one of their albums that I came across without really knowing what to expect.

When I got home and listened to it, the first couple of bars of Right Next Door to Hell (which isn't even a particularly memorable song) ensured I was hooked. I should count myself fortunate that I didn't pick up something cringeworthy like New Kids on The Block or some of the other acts that were topping the charts at the time.

So, what about the rest of you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory was the first album I ever baught. I know many of you will cringe, but to this day I actually still like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory. Got it and a CD player with my Confirmation money. Not a bad start looking back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory was the first album I ever baught. I know many of you will cringe, but to this day I actually still like it.
    Well it probably is their best album. I freely admit I like it too. I don't care if it's not cool any more :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet in 1987 bought on tape. I remember it cost £8.49.
    It was followed up by Def Leppard's Hysteria and GNR's Appetite.

Havent listened to it in years. Must dig out my tapes.

...........sneaks off to listen to Never Say Goodbye on You Tube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 damianco72

def leppard "hysteria"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Feck, I feel old...

Rust Never Sleeps - Neil Young & Crazy Horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

My first album was Queen - Live at Wembley 1986.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My first rock album was Roots by...christ I cant remember their name...Sepultura I think..this Brazilian metal band..I was about 17..relatively old...

I was into Hip Hop and Rap at the start...first album was House of Pain- Jump Around and Cypress Hill- Black Sunday (which was the better one)

Most defining album was Ice Cube- The Predator- brilliant

Defining Rock album- Black Sabbath- Master of Reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

first one i bought myself was motley crew "dr.feelgood" sound shop drogheda 10 pound i think,still have it ,still good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

First rock cd that I bought myself would probably be.. Ash - Free All Angels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

Nea wrote: »
    Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet in 1987 bought on tape. I remember it cost £8.49.
    It was followed up by Def Leppard's Hysteria and GNR's Appetite.

Havent listened to it in years. Must dig out my tapes.

...........sneaks off to listen to Never Say Goodbye on You Tube

Sweet that's old school baby!!

My first was Iron Maiden - Live After Death, the Powerslave tour if I'm not mistaken, I went away from them for a long time but I rediscovered them while away in Bolivia, they had every cd you can imagine going for cheap (like the equivalent of 10c I think!) so I got all the stuff I used to have and had a right nostalgic time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Just after Freddie Mercury died I got Queen's second greatest hits album. It wasn't my first album but definitely my first rock album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

The first heavy album I bought was Limp Bizkit - Chocoalte Starfish.... Got me into my wannabe rocker phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I was actually thinking about this the last day :).

'Reign in Blood' was the first one I bought, way way back, probably 1989/1990. I was 15 or 16. Got it on tape[still do somewhere].
    First time I played it was in my grandmother's house, she had this cool tape/vinyl player that was like a cabinet/coffee table type thing.
    That album scared the sh1t outta me, the hairs on the back of my neck stood out, I just kept playing it over and over.

Heh, the first vinyl album I bought was Dr.Feelgood, I remember I loved the cover.

First rock/metal albums I [ahem]'acquired' in the 80's were G'n'R's 'Appetite for Destruction' and Judas Priest's 'Ram it Down', and then moved onto RIB and Dr.Feelgood.
    Weirdo!!!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

First rock album was Tonic for the troops Boomtown rats, first metal album was For those about to rock AC/DC I think. First single was another brick in the wall - Pink Floyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

A hand-me-down 'Bad Reputation' Lizzy. Could have been a lot worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heavy Rock - Led Zep, In Through The Out Door 1979
    Light Rock - Police, Regatta de Blanc. 1979

Old School rock 'n Roll - Chuck Berry motorvatin 1977

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

AND JUSTICE FOR ALL by METALLICA in 1989. a friend at school taped a copy for me after i heard "dyers eve". that was when i left pop behind and turned to the dark side.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

damonjewel wrote: »
    First single was another brick in the wall - Pink Floyd
    We could have a whole other thread devoted to singles :). My first and so far only single was Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve. I liked the song but didn't know much about the band. I picked up Northern Soul not long afterwards and I'm glad I did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

lord lucan wrote: »
    AND JUSTICE FOR ALL by METALLICA in 1989. a friend at school taped a copy for me after i heard "dyers eve". that was when i left pop behind and turned to the dark side.:D

Its like when yer man Jim Bruer was saying at the Metallica MTV Icon show, 'People who like Metallica dont just say Metallica they say METALLICA!!!!!' :D

First one bought for me was Nirvana Unplugged in New York, first one I bought myself was RIDE THE LIGHTNING by METALLICA. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 qdor2

dare I do it? dare I admit that it was Europe - The final Countdown... better not, I'd never live it down!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

qdor2 wrote: »
    dare I do it? dare I admit that it was Europe - The final Countdown... better not, I'd never live it down!!!

Fantastic album and you know it! Never be ashamed of your roots. Carrie is an all time classic metal ballad. :o

First album for me was Blizzard of Ozz by Ozzy Osbourne (obviously).

First prog metal album was Dream Theater - When Dream And Day Unite.

And from there I moved on to proper prog. First album there was Yes - Close To The Edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

First album I ever bought was Boomtown Rats first self titled album!

The first cd I bought was Under Lock And Key by Dokken which I already had on vinyl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

First album I bought with my milk-round money - Bowie's Hunky Dory

First rock album was Led Zep 2. Dark Side of the Moon by Floyd & Foxtrot by Genesis were in my first half-dozen too.

'Twas an enlightened childhood :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

First tape was a Ripped off Motorhead compilation (I lived in Bahrain for a good few years as a munchkin) & first CD was use your illusion 2.. good times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Micil

my brother had a copy of a Black Sabbath compilation album. The first side only had Ozzy songs and we never listened to the 2nd side.
    I forget the name of the album but it was life-changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

my 1st album was ....and justice for all.

I had heard a buddy play blackened and really liked it so had to buy it ( he wasnt the lending type) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Hybrid Theory, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

radiohead, the bends, if that counts as rock, if not then led zep 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Black Sabbath - Technical ecstacy 1986 rubbish album

Advertisement