Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your First Rock/Metal Album?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I got Nevermind by Nirvana and Master Of Puppets by Metallica off my cousin, a great way to start....he later gave me my first amp aswell. Too bad the rest of my relations arent as cool :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I got Bon Jovi's greatest hits album, Crossroad, when I was 11 years old. Got Nirvana Unplugged in New York shortly afterwards. However, I didn't really call myself a rock/metal fan until I was about 15-16ish, at which point I was mostly listening to Metallica and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

'Hysteria' by Def Leppard for me, 1987. Followed that with Maiden's 'Number of the Beast' & 'Killers'.

Although the first album I got was actually Springsteen's 'Born in the USA' a couple of years earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

After listening to a lot of cassettes from siblings, I bit the bullet with AC/DC's Back In Black, and never have I looked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

qdor2 wrote: »
    dare I do it? dare I admit that it was Europe - The final Countdown... better not, I'd never live it down!!!

nothing wrong with that,my first rock gig was bon jovi in 1990 and i thought they were great:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

My first was Helloween- 'Keeper of the seven keys'. Thats a long time ago. The second and third were improvements- an Overkill album followed by a DRI one, I cant for the life of me remember the names of 'em though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

If You Want Blood---AC\DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The Razors Edge, AC/DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Like some others here, Hybrid Theory...But I'm quite happy to say that I would still listen to it and am waiting for them to release another on par or close to it.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

qdor2 wrote: »
    dare I do it? dare I admit that it was Europe - The final Countdown... better not, I'd never live it down!!!

That was my first too!!!! Well, my first "rock" or "metal" album. Then I discovered bands like Slayer and Metallica. I bought RIB on cassette, along with MOP by Metallica, and the riff to The Thing That Should Not Be frightened the bejaysus outta me the first time I heard it(I was 12)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

galwayrush wrote: »
    If You Want Blood---AC\DC

Same as myself.

I think it was the cover that lured me to it to be perfectly honest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Think it was Smashing Pumpkins - Gish, on tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭ec18

Rory Gallagher Deuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

A friend's uncle used to cool us teenagers up with his Rolling Stones, Velvet Underground, MC5, Taste and Vanilla Fudge record collection. Then one day, he played Black Sabbath Vol 4 and I just had to have it for Xmas. Amazingly, metal has got increasingly better since then, though it also limp;)ed a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Jailbreak : Thin Lizzy on good old vinyl. Bought in the dandelion market. Went there every Saturday to buy albums after that, most of them are now covered in dust in the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Queen - Jazz, was given to me on tape when I was five years old in 1981!

I win, you may now lock this thread! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭adamb92

The self entitled Metallica album :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

First was Horslips's Man Who Built America, a brilliant album. Then the double album pairing of Richie Blackmore's Rainbow and Rainbow Rising. Beautiful stuff and I still haul it out every now and then. After that it would have been Back in Black and Saxon's The Eagle Has Landed. God help me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭dasdog

Iron Maiden - Killers, bought it on vinyl for £4.99 when I was 11 or 12. I must have had confirmation money or something. First album I ever heard was DP's 24 Carat Purple when I was 6 or 7 (I had a lot of older cousins) which just amazed me. First album that was ever bought for me was an Elvis compilation the songs of which are still imprinted on my brain....as is Killers and the first Maiden album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Think i'm another one following the Hybrid Theory line. Was the first album I heard that but me on the Rock/Metal train, got it off a friend (I was in a bit of a hip-hop groove at the time).

Think the first one I actually bought shortly after that was Metallica's Black Album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Iron Maiden's Live After Death on 2 cassettes, must have been 1986. Great album
    I got AC/DC Let there be Rock on vinyl in a 2nd hand shop in Galway in 1990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Murf93

That is a good question. As far as I can remember, the first album I bought was Green Day's 'Dookie' from 1994, but I can't remember when I bought it. I think that is a good first album. :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My first rock album I bought was Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Not 100% sure which of these I got/listened to first, they were more or less around the same time for me though:

Nevermind
    Metallica
    Queen's Greatest Hits 1

First album that blew my mind was Master of Puppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭remo2

Iron Maiden's Live after Death 2cassettes :rolleyes:
    most have been 85-86 cant remember to much headbangin to it..f**k'd the brain cell's up haha :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Number Of The Beast on vinyl was the first album I got. It was for my tenth birthday and still have it in pride of place with all my other old vinyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

The first proper album I bought myself was REM - Automatic for the People. I also bought Highway To Hell by AC/DC . Can't remember which was first though, Highway would obviously be the appropriate answer in this case though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BleedTheF!FtH

Got into the more nu metal stuff before i gradually got more and more hardcore.. Started listenin to linkin park and limp bizkit first.

Old school Metallica are now my fav..
    Listen to alot of killswitch trivium all that **** now, anything heavy with heavy riffs lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

rage against the machine-rage against the machine.

Advertisement