Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 'Cell-Phone' carrier in the US?

• 09-01-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I'll be getting set up with a phone when I go over and just wondering if anyone who has travelled extensively in the US would know of the best carriers for a mobile phone? I'll be in California and looking to get a bill phone type thing set up. Cheers for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Mobile/PDA's where you'll probably find people with more knowledge of networks etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    I'll be getting set up with a phone when I go over and just wondering if anyone who has travelled extensively in the US would know of the best carriers for a mobile phone? I'll be in California and looking to get a bill phone type thing set up. Cheers for any advice

Hey

When i lived in the states they would not give you a contract phone if you did not have a social security number (like our PRSI number), over there you can do sweet FA without one.

No American network has 100% coverage like in Ireland as the country is so vast it would be unprofitable.

I just used T-mob when i was there and had no problem in the cities i was in which was West Coast and East Coast and a few airports in between.

There coverage map is here
    http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx

There prepaid service is nothing like what we have here. Too be honest it is a joke.

Here is the link to there plans

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/Cell-Phone-Plans.aspx?catgroup=prepaid-cell-phone-plan

Yes you are charged to receive text message but 10cent to text home was sweet! Also when i was there you where charged minutes when you receive a call.

So what i would do would do is keep the Irish phone on to receive sms as this is free.

There are other carriers which i don't know much about sorry

AT&T / Cingular
    Verizon

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

Verizon is reputed by most major reviews (Consumer Reports, David Pogue's columns to name two) to be the best: best coverage, best service. However, it's not GSM if that matters to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

cheers for the info

Advertisement