Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ollie le Roux

• 09-01-2009 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know what the craic is with Ollie being named at number 16 for this weeks game?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I presume he's covering hooker with Jackman still out and Fogarty serving a 1 week ban.

He was over here for a few months anyway, so they've obviously given him a call up.

Hopefully there is the opportunity to bring him on while winning for a rousing reception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

He kept his registration as a Leinster player, and it's good to be able to use him. He should get a good roar if he comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Disappointed they didn't put faith in one of the Academy player like Sweeney. Or even Healy if he could make the switch across... Although now that we've got Ollie in, i'd nearly rather see him starting, Blaney is toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

karmabass wrote: »
    Disappointed they didn't put faith in one of the Academy player like Sweeney. Or even Healy if he could make the switch across... Although now that we've got Ollie in, i'd nearly rather see him starting, Blaney is toss.

I doubt hes match fit though.

And yes its a shame Sweeney didn't get the nod for the 22 but the lads only 21 so he has plenty of time

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sparky14

If he's fit we should be definitely be looking at him starting against Wasps if Jackman doesn't make it. Big if tho, he doesn't strike me as the naturally fit type.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fogarty will be back for the Wasps game. Disappointed that LeRoux was chosen ahead of Sweeny or Harris-Wright, I didn't even realise he was still in the country.

I believe he travelled over from South Africa

Nice to know he was willing to drop everything and travel half away across the world to help out his old team in their time of need.

Hows that for passion Ronan?

Seems exceptionally silly to bring him over from South Africa to sit on the bench for a Magners League game. Fogs will be back next week, and Jackman isn't out for too much longer either is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

No wonder Leinster have struggled to bring any front rows through for years(barring Healy the freak), they have no faith in the acadamy players. Such a retrograte step bringing Ollie back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

As far as I know Ollie was over here anyway. They might just be giving him a send off/thank you in a game they should win

• Advertisement

He got his send-off/thank you last season. Highly doubt that's the reason.
    No wonder Leinster have struggled to bring any front rows through for years(barring Healy the freak), they have no faith in the acadamy players.

All the front-row forwards in the academy are very young. I would have liked to have seen Sweeny/Harris-Wright on the bench but they're still only 20/21 so they've plenty of time left to earn a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

Nice to know he was willing to drop everything and travel half away across the world to help out his old team in their time of need.

Free holiday to Ireland, maybe a fifteen minute run around to great applause, followed by weekend of eating and drinking then premier class back to SA. Yeah a really passionate guy.

Cheikas lack of fate in irish players is a joke. For further examples google Holwill, Easterby, etc etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

sm.org wrote: »
    Free holiday to Ireland, maybe a fifteen minute run around to great applause, followed by weekend of eating and drinking then premier class back to SA. Yeah a really passionate guy.

Cheikas lack of fate in irish players is a joke. For further examples google Holwill, Easterby, etc etc etc.

He was over BEFORE the Connacht match (ie before Fogarty went mad). And he has been at a few games over the course of the season (to great aclaim from the Season ticket holders in the Anglesea Terrace!)

I thought I heard he was acting as a scrum advisor or something. So its not quite the same scale as Holwells call up..

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sparky14

Think they plan to use him throughout the season if they bothered calling him up for this game. Don't really think its cheikas fault, hes prob not gonna be around for long so why wud he bother blooding new players. The IRFU should be cutting the size of the squads so that the youngsters get a chance, some of the dross that is still around is ridiculous jowitt and brown for starters.

crisco10 wrote: »
    He was over BEFORE the Connacht match (ie before Fogarty went mad). And he has been at a few games over the course of the season (to great aclaim from the Season ticket holders in the Anglesea Terrace!)

Very good to hear.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He got his send-off/thank you last season. Highly doubt that's the reason.

All the front-row forwards in the academy are very young. I would have liked to have seen Sweeny/Harris-Wright on the bench but they're still only 20/21 so they've plenty of time left to earn a place.

I honestly think its a joke. In the last 5 years there has been serious talent in the acadamy at that position but how many have come through? Sweeny i think is in his last year and Harris Wright his first along with Tom Sexton. Why not give Sweeney a shot,this is his last year in the acadamy i believe. Whats the point of investing a huge amount of money in these guys than just letting them rot in the AIL. You can only see so much of a guy on the training field and playing in A games. Whats the point of having Ollie there really? We always draft in backs like O'Malley last year but not in the front row. Its why we'll continue to have to bring in the likes of CJ, Ollie and Stan along with the likes of fogarthy to cover our asses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Podge_irl wrote: »

England are playing some of their crop from their under 20 team this year. Corrisebero (spelling) played against Newcastle against bloody Carl Heyman (yes i know Heyman is utter sh1te and is doing it for the money but he can still scrummage well) they seem to have faith in blooding front row players why cant we? Its not like Cardiff have a monster front row or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

You're missing the point on the passion, Munster have it in bucket loads and Ollie seems to have it, so the question is - where is it in the Leinster and Irish camps?

phog wrote: »
    You're missing the point on the passion, Munster have it in bucket loads and Ollie seems to have it, so the question is - where is it in the Leinster and Irish camps?

*sigh*, are you trying to bring a Leinster vs Cardiff thread down to the level Munster have more passion than Leinster/Athenry is in Galway/why can't Munster players do it for Ireland/Leinster are ladyboys/my willy is bigger than yours.

Stev_o wrote: »
    England are playing some of their crop from their under 20 team this year. Corrisebero (spelling) played against Newcastle against bloody Carl Heyman (yes i know Heyman is utter sh1te and is doing it for the money but he can still scrummage well) they seem to have faith in blooding front row players why cant we? Its not like Cardiff have a monster front row or anything.

Well Healy was blooded when he was only 20 (or 19?) so that's something, though I would really like to see him starting games by now. LeRoux is undoubtedly better then Sweeney, but there are 6 NIQ players starting for Leinster tomorrow, which is already too many, its a shame that there is one on the bench now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

The reason he has been selected for tomorrow all comes down to next weeks Heineken Cup game. If jackman doesn't recover in time we will have Fogarty on with Blaney on the bench. If however blaney were to pick up an injury tomorrow that would only leave Fogarty available for next week. Sweeney and Harris Wright aren't cup registered so wouldn't be able to take a place on the bench but Le Roux is. Therefore the only choice would be to bring le roux back. It would be stupid to put him on against wasps without even the slightest warm up so i'd say Cheika is just being careful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Also, he's 25 stone of pure awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Front row is a very technical position - with 3 hookers in the squad, I doubt Cheika thought it would come to this and wisely has Le Roux as cover. Front row players develop the latest and I doubt academy players are ready yet.

Would be amazing if he comes on!!!

[edit] come to think of it, I can't imagine any front row in the world not having a bit of poo in their pants setting up against Stan Wright, Ollie Le Roux and CJ Van Der Linde - they have got to be the beefiest mother fu*ker of a front row you're going to find!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

I'm hoping to see him on for 15 minutes at the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Front row is a very technical position - with 3 hookers in the squad, I doubt Cheika thought it would come to this and wisely has Le Roux as cover. Front row players develop the latest and I doubt academy players are ready yet.

Would be amazing if he comes on!!!

[edit] come to think of it, I can't imagine any front row in the world not having a bit of poo in their pants setting up against Stan Wright, Ollie Le Roux and CJ Van Der Linde - they have got to be the beefiest mother fu*ker of a front row you're going to find!!

CJ has been Leinster's Carl Heyman just seems to be in for the money by the looks of things so far into the season. Le Roux though was the corner stone of Leinster last year with his ball carrying (He's a illegal scrummage btw iv never seen him bind EVER)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

sm.org wrote: »

Presume you meant to say faith? If you're going to slag off Cheika, at least use the language correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Le Roux is a very welcome to return. He was far from pedestrian, in fact was instrumental in the Magners League win last season. He always got stuck into every game he played.

He's a favourite of the season tickets holders for the above reasons, but also because he acknowledged the fans. When coming off during the game or at it's end he always took the time to wave to the fans, something that a few of the other players could learn from.

He's also been a guest at a lot of games over the past 9 months or so.

Allez Le Roux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

themont85 wrote: »
    I honestly think its a joke. In the last 5 years there has been serious talent in the acadamy at that position but how many have come through? Sweeny i think is in his last year and Harris Wright his first along with Tom Sexton. Why not give Sweeney a shot,this is his last year in the acadamy i believe. Whats the point of investing a huge amount of money in these guys than just letting them rot in the AIL. You can only see so much of a guy on the training field and playing in A games. Whats the point of having Ollie there really? We always draft in backs like O'Malley last year but not in the front row. Its why we'll continue to have to bring in the likes of CJ, Ollie and Stan along with the likes of fogarthy to cover our asses.

backs nearly always come through younger because they need less time to put on the strength and muscle necessary to survive in the pack, especially the front row. backs game would more depend on speed/agility/acceleration and their technical skills being up to par which is easier to do younger than pack on pounds of muscle and increase strength

tom sexton - 101 kg
    richard sweeney - 102 kg
    no stats for jason harris-wright (id say he's same weight or less than those lads)

jackman - 112 kg
    le roux - about 124/125 kg
    brian blaney is only 103 kg admittedly but he is evidently more muscular than the younger lads and has years of strength training more than them

oh and healy came through early cos he's a beast!

figs86 wrote: »
    backs nearly always come through younger because they need less time to put on the strength and muscle necessary to survive in the pack, especially the front row. backs game would more depend on speed/agility/acceleration and their technical skills being up to par which is easier to do younger than pack on pounds of muscle and increase strength

tom sexton - 101 kg
    richard sweeney - 102 kg
    no stats for jason harris-wright (id say he's same weight or less than those lads)

jackman - 112 kg
    le roux - about 124/125 kg
    brian blaney is only 103 kg admittedly but he is evidently more muscular than the younger lads and has years of strength training more than them

oh and healy came through early cos he's a beast!

There must be a reason why there are so few Leinster front rows. Its very rare that any young players from the Acadamy get through, where are all the props/hookers who played in the Acadamy since 2002? Why can England bring them through and we can't?

There's a reason why we have so few props in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Ireland doesn't have much history of producing short, fat squat types. That's a big part of it.

Look at Italy - they're great at producing 'em, and have a much larger population to call from. Corbisero's an Italian-American after all.

There is no point in playing underweight props in pro games. In any other position I'd be in favour of it, but hte countries that do it tend to be either New Zealand (and Maoris are naturally bigger) or big countries like England, where the odd monster/unnaturally big freak is more likely due to numbers.

Oh and apparently Ian Wright's son's a decent prop. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

surely le roux isnt registered for the heineken cup?

its an awful kick in the teeth for the hooker whos next in line, short sighted and im sure expensive option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

We're down to thrid choice hooker. 4th choice hooker would not be ready for the likes of Wasps if anything happened Blaney. Le Roux is registered for Europe and I think it's a very astute move from Cheika. A bigger kick to the teeth for a young lad would be to be expected to put in 70 minutes against an international front row and English champions. If nothing else, it's probably dangerous.

I don't see what the big deal is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

[Jackass] wrote: »
    We're down to thrid choice hooker. 4th choice hooker would not be ready for the likes of Wasps if anything happened Blaney. Le Roux is registered for Europe and I think it's a very astute move from Cheika. A bigger kick to the teeth for a young lad would be to be expected to put in 70 minutes against an international front row and English champions. If nothing else, it's probably dangerous.

I don't see what the big deal is.

I agree with you, if Cheika took a chance on one of the other hookers and it came to pass that they had to take to the field in the ealry stages of the match and things went wrong for him and Leinster then the guns would be our for the coach. Leinster are still in a strong position for a QF and they don't want to throw it away by blooding players in their 1st H/Cup game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Le Roux looked slow and off the pace, but he can still smash people out of the way, and he's still very strong.

In retrospect, I respect Cheika's decision to use him even more. The sheer power of a full prop could really hurt a youngster. The thought of a van der Linde crashing into a 20 year old in a scrum is scary.

Shelflife wrote: »
    surely le roux isnt registered for the heineken cup?

its an awful kick in the teeth for the hooker whos next in line, short sighted and im sure expensive option.

LeRoux is registered for the HEC, neither of the next in line hookers (Sweeney and Harris-Wright) are, so in that regard it makes sense.

I must say, when LeRoux came on he certainly seemed to show a lot of ambition and hunger straight away. He's a good impact sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

He's not fit enough for a full game, but certainly has enough for 15-20 mins. He is good at making an impact, and knows the front row well enough to help stabilise the scrum.

I think it was a smart idea by Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

The commentator on S4C said that since leaving Ireland Le Roux had continued to play for the Stormers. I don't know if he meant training, coaching or actually playing in games.

Wiki says..."As he was a part of the Magners League success in 2008 Ollie Le Roux is set to join Rugby club Stormers in the Super 14 on 5 May 2008."

Advertisement