Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fire Safety Engineering

• 09-01-2009 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey guys,

Hope this is the right forum for this, Im gonna post it in the postgrad section also. Im currently thinking of applying for the M. Sc. in Fire Safety Engineering at Jordanstown, here's the link - http://prospectus.ulster.ac.uk/course/?id=6735. I feel this would be an interesting career move for. Has anyone completed this course or has anybody any help about it? What would the career oportunities be for it?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jimmyjaney

Anybody any ideas or help?? :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭von Neumann

In terms of post grad courses there's TCD or UU.
    From what I know of the industry.

UU is ahead of the curve in terms of simulations, which is becoming more important by the day. However they would use the British reg's, and while the irish reg's largely follow the british they are not quiet identical.

TCD I believe gives you the option to do the masters part time over two years. This would allow you to maintain your current position.

Fire certs are largely tied to new builds and hence are at the sharp end of the down turn at the moment. Unfortunately there is no need for fire cert maintance.

I personally believe there will be a shake out in the fire consultancy with only the more technically able surviving. The days of fire consultance being little more than form fillers is probably coming to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

hey, im studying a part time course myself in the OBI in dublin, through the IFE, www.ife.ie. think i looked at that course myself too, but i cant study in college so i needed a aprtime course/ study at home etc.

the english site has more info and a call to them will help you possibly. best of luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

TCD I believe gives you the option to do the masters part time over two years. This would allow you to maintain your current position.

Its not a masters in Trinity its only a diploma course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

You can do the UU masters part-time. It is a very well regarded course. I wouldn't worry too much about it being based in the UK, the engineering fundamentals obviously don't change, and our regulations are close enough to cause very few problems. I did a degree in Fire Engineering in England, it didn't take very long to get familiar with the differences (largely procedural).

Up to last year the market for qualified fire engineers was buoyant, it's naturally quieter now, but will rebound in time. The fire engineering skills also highly transferrable to other countries.

I would agree with von Neumann that the downturn will lead to a bit of a cull in fire safety consultants, hopefully getting rid of some of the poorly qualified cowboys.

Common careers for fire safety engineers are:

Consultancy
    Fire Service (what I'm doing).
    Insurance Industry
    Petrochemicals Industry.

If anyone has other questions I'll try and help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jackmau

Has anyone done the MSc fire safety engineering full time mode? Whats the work load like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

I am about to get a BEng ordinary degree in June and want to do a 4th year Fire Safety Engineering, this 4th year course gives you a BSc Hons. What will my final qualification be and if it is a BSc can I, in the proper sense of the word as discussed in another post on this forum, call myself an engineer? I have spent 3 years studying engineering and about to do a 4th year of a course called engineering, which is recognised by Engineers Ireland but the qualification at the end dosent represent this. I know its only a word and a couple of letters but it was my intention to become an engineer the whole way through college, I dont really want to give it up at the last stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭r-i-tect

If you can do the UU course. The Trinity course while interesting, leaves some gaps. It's more an introduction and I felt like I needed to do the MSc after finishing it. (That never happened, but I feel I have a better understanding than some of the others that call themselves consultants.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brigade

Have a BSc and MSc, now looking to do a fire engineering course.
    Would I be better off doing the BSc in Letterkenny or doing the MSc in Ulster University?
    Any advice as to which course to go for would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

From what I have heard the 1 year BSC add on is a kind of prelim for the MSc in that it covers the topics covered in the MSc but in less detail. The MSc takes things back to first principles. If you want to become chartered at some stage you may need the MSc, not sure about this as you have an MSc already. In New Zealand where I currently live there is a lot of snobbery about who has a MSc and who does not but from what I gather in the UK or Ireland being chartered is not as big a deal nor is having an MSc. Both are fairly intensive courses but if you were to commit to one probably doing the MSc would be better but the BSc does give you a very good understanding of fire engineering and I dont know if you would get that in the MSc given the less hands on lecturing approach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

From what I have heard the 1 year BSC add on is a kind of prelim for the MSc in that it covers the topics covered in the MSc but in less detail. The MSc takes things back to first principles. If you want to become chartered at some stage you may need the MSc, not sure about this as you have an MSc already. In New Zealand where I currently live there is a lot of snobbery about who has a MSc and who does not but from what I gather in the UK or Ireland being chartered is not as big a deal nor is having an MSc. Both are fairly intensive courses but if you were to commit to one probably doing the MSc would be better but the BSc does give you a very good understanding of fire engineering and I dont know if you would get that in the MSc given the less hands on lecturing approach.

In Ireland, being chartered is a big deal.
    With our current Building Regulations and sign off on construction projects l, you need to be a chartered engineer to act as an Assigned Certifier.

Only 2 other roles can act as an AC, Registered Architect and Registered Building Surveyor.

I'll take your word for it, my comment was based on half a sentence in a conversation at some time and that was the impression I got. Happy to stand corrected!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'll take your word for it, my comment was based on half a sentence in a conversation at some time and that was the impression I got. Happy to stand corrected!

Have a look up on BCAR (Building Control Ammendment Regulations).
    It will explain it better.

kceire wrote: »

Have a look up on BCAR (Building Control Ammendment Regulations).
    It will explain it better.
    Thanks, I'm hoping to return to Ireland this year so I need to get up to speed on all this.

Advertisement