Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G1 on Meteor

• 09-01-2009 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Morning all,

I've recently laid hands on a G1 (Google phone) and am trying my damndest to setup the 3g settings on it for Meteor, but clever lads that they are they dont actually seem to list them anywhere...
    Would anyone know what the settings are or how I would get them short of going to a shop and waving it in the air like a bomb?

Never mind I found it...

APN: data.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: wap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

I've just bought a G1, I'm with Meteor payg. Does anyone know the APN settings to allow me to sign into my Google account. Is it even possible with Meteor payg or do I have to buy a 3pay sim with €10 data add-on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Darkwing Duck

Yep it can be done on Meteor payg, turns out you actually only need three settings for the APN:

APN: wap.mymeteor.ie (data.mymeteor.ie, didn't really make much differenece for me)
    Usernam: my
    Password: wap

Thank You! Spent 2 hours trying proxies, port numbers.. Finaly got onto the Home page now, browser works and everything with those 3 settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

really wap.mymeteor.ie shouldn't be working for you unless you enter the proxy information and it'll most likely give you trouble down the line

you should change it to data.mymeteor.ie if it works for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    really wap.mymeteor.ie shouldn't be working for you unless you enter the proxy information and it'll most likely give you trouble down the line

you should change it to data.mymeteor.ie if it works for you

I rang meteor last night for the settings for my HTC Diamond and I was told to use wap.mymeteor.ie... are they giving out wrong information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

no they are not :)

the different APNs are for different things. check out http://powermyphone.com/gprsmms.php

If you can get online with a data connection (data) then its better. I think it did matter at one stage (or maybe on some ISPs) that if you had a data bundle you would need to use data rather than wap. but meteor's data bundles works for either.
    (only WAP will work for me)

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

not really no wap.mymeteor.ie is the standard one and the agent may not even know that data.mymeteor.ie exists.

the reason that i told him to switch is because he hasn't entered the proxy information so i don't understand why it's working, it shouldn't be so it might stop working or certain things might not work. data.mymeteor.ie doesn't use a proxy so doesn't have this problem

also, data.mymeteor.ie is more open, ie some things don't work properly or are blocked by the proxy on wap.mymeteor.ie, e.g. i don't think you can stream from youtube with wap but you can with data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

not really no wap.mymeteor.ie is the standard one and the agent may not even know that data.mymeteor.ie exists.

the reason that i told him to switch is because he hasn't entered the proxy information so i don't understand why it's working, it shouldn't be so it might stop working or certain things might not work. data.mymeteor.ie doesn't use a proxy so doesn't have this problem

also, data.mymeteor.ie is more open, ie some things don't work properly or are blocked by the proxy on wap.mymeteor.ie, e.g. i don't think you can stream from youtube with wap but you can with data

Meteor recently changed the access over the WAP APN to allow full internet access, so without the proxy it should work the same as the Data APN. This is also the reason why streaming now works when using the "Streaming settings"; they're the WAP APN settings without the proxy.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Meteor recently changed the access over the WAP APN to allow full internet access, so without the proxy it should work the same as the Data APN. This is also the reason why streaming now works when using the "Streaming settings"; they're the WAP APN settings without the proxy.

ah i see. thanks for the update

Anyone get the meteor mms settings working? I've tried different combinations of these two with no luck so far:

MMS GPRS:
    Profile Name: Meteor MMS
    IP Address: 010.085.085.085
    MMS Server URL / Homepage: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    Port Number: 9201
    Connection Type: GPRS
    APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    Password: mms

MMS (WAP 2.0):
    Homepage: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy Server: 10.85.85.85
    Port: 8799

• Advertisement

this should work for the whole lot:

Name: Meteor mms
    APN: none
    Proxy: none
    Port: none
    Username: none
    Password:none
    Server: none
    MMSC: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    APN Type: None

the web settings:

Name: Meteor data
    APN: data.mymeteor.ie
    Password:meteor
    Server: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    MMSC: none
    MMS proxy: none
    MMS port: none

Name: Meteor mms
    APN: none
    MMSC: http://wap.mymeteor.ie

Nope, says APN can't be empty. I've tried wap.mymeteor.ie and mms.mymeteor.ie, mms still doesn't work.

Nope, says APN can't be empty. I've tried wap.mymeteor.ie and mms.mymeteor.ie, mms still doesn't work.

sorry i mixed myself up. the MMSC should be http://mms.mymeteor.ie

and the APN should be mms.mymeteor.ie

Name: Meteor MMS
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie

This is what I have now. still not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Try the port as 9201

try

Proxy: 010.085.085.085
    Password:mms

No, tried both, and then the second with both ports as 9201, no good. Anyone actually get mms working with meteor on a G1?

No, tried both, and then the second with both ports as 9201, no good. Anyone actually get mms working with meteor on a G1?

does it work with your sim in another phone?

Yeah works with my sim in a samsung D600.
    With MMS Profile:
    Server URL: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: enable

GPRS Settings:
    IP: 10.85.85.85
    Login: my
    Password: *** (I'm guessing its mms)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

try port 8080. My xperia wasnt working with 8080 (default setting), but changed to 8799, and it works. maybe 8080 is used by certain devices?

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    try port 8080. My xperia wasnt working with 8080 (default setting), but changed to 8799, and it works. maybe 8080 is used by certain devices?

no i don't think so. i think it's just that some of the settings sent from meteor are wrong. i don't know why it's not working tbh. maybe you entered the settings but didn't set them as default?

try

Proxy: 010.085.085.085

I'm using these and whenever I press send the 3G arrows light up like it is sending something, but the message never arrives at the other phone. (Which can recieve mms since it got a pic sent from my samsung).

How do I save the settings as default?

try

Proxy: 10.85.85.85
    MMS proxy: 10.85.85.85

Thanks for the help, the settings did work, two of the messages I sent just delivered, (well over an hour after I sent them). Just sent another, arrived straight away. Still can't recieve mms', just get a text with a link to mymeteor.ie, at least I can send them now.

Thanks for the help, the settings did work, two of the messages I sent just delivered, (well over an hour after I sent them). Just sent another, arrived straight away. Still can't recieve mms', just get a text with a link to mymeteor.ie, at least I can send them now.

ah good to hear it. if you can send them but not receive them there's something strange going on. could you receive them when your sim was in another phone?

No it was the same with my samsung, I could send but never recieve.

No it was the same with my samsung, I could send but never recieve.

then you need to call meteor and tell them that. that was problem loads of people had ages ago and they need to fix something on your profile so you can receive them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

then you need to call meteor and tell them that. that was problem loads of people had ages ago and they need to fix something on your profile so you can receive them

Exactly. They probably think your phone is a Nokia 1600, 2310. Seems to be the most common one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Hey, did you get it sorted?

I entered the info from here for mms, wap, and the same for isp.mymeteor.ie and it has worked.

I can send MMS (not receive) and access the internet.
    The Edge icon is showing and active when MMS is working or internet access is occuring.

I have the "Use 2g networks only" selected. When this is unselected, the 3G icon displays.

Then problem is that currently is seems to be permanently on (checking my gmail, notification etc) so I have to figure out how to make it on demand ony. Might just be a case of signing out of my accounts.....

ianhobo wrote: »
    I can send MMS (not receive) and access the internet.
    As has been said, if you can send but not receive, the problem isn't with the phone, it's at meteor's end and you need to call them
    ianhobo wrote: »
    Then problem is that currently is seems to be permanently on (checking my gmail, notification etc) so I have to figure out how to make it on demand ony. Might just be a case of signing out of my accounts.....
    What do you mean by permanently on? Do you just mean that the phone displays the 3g icon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

As has been said, if you can send but not receive, the problem isn't with the phone, it's at meteor's end and you need to call them

Indeed, I have logged a support call. When i receive a message, I get the text "you have received a ......" message to log onto meteor.
    What do you mean by permanently on? Do you just mean that the phone displays the 3g icon?

This is jst me being too used to nokia where the GPRS icon only displays on demand. With the APN's added, the EDGE icon is permanently on. (An because the phone is checking my email accounts, it active a lot, so have turned off alerts.)

Interestingly, I don't know if it's because I texted "SETTINGS" to the 50074? numbers, but when I log in to my mymetoer account, my phone type is now listed as "HTC DREA100", so they know my phone type. This handset is not available in their gloabal handset list.

The internet access is also quite un-relialbe. At times I have internet, and at other times I don't. Might just be because I'm messing around with the APN settings. Also, I'm not sure if what 3G access I can get, so I've been toggling the "Use 2G networks only" option. I can send MMS while connected to 3G though.......

Advertisement