Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G1 on Meteor

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ianhobo wrote: »
    This is jst me being too used to nokia where the GPRS icon only displays on demand. With the APN's added, the EDGE icon is permanently on. (An because the phone is checking my email accounts, it active a lot, so have turned off alerts.)
    the edge icon is permanently on on nokias too. it just means you have edge coverage and not that there's a currently active connection
    Interestingly, I don't know if it's because I texted "SETTINGS" to the 50074? numbers, but when I log in to my mymetoer account, my phone type is now listed as "HTC DREA100", so they know my phone type. This handset is not available in their gloabal handset list.
    that would explain it yes. they must have provisioned more handsets for that service
    The internet access is also quite un-relialbe. At times I have internet, and at other times I don't. Might just be because I'm messing around with the APN settings. Also, I'm not sure if what 3G access I can get, so I've been toggling the "Use 2G networks only" option.
    that is a bit strange. you should be able to use the internet pretty much anywhere. you're not out in the sticks by any chance?
    I can send MMS while connected to 3G though.......
    i'm not sure of the significance of that. why wouldn't you be able to? or can you not send then when connected to 2g?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    the edge icon is permanently on on nokias too. it just means you have edge coverage and not that there's a currently active connection
    hmmm on my nokia 6230i its only on when transmitting an MMS message, or when on the internet?

that is a bit strange. you should be able to use the internet pretty much anywhere. you're not out in the sticks by any chance?
    I'm in blanch, but as I said it might because of (the frequent!) changes I've been making with the different APN settings. But in work too (Leopardstown), the service worked at one point, then nothing...I'll have to try some proper tests and make note of what I change so I know what it affects
    i'm not sure of the significance of that. why wouldn't you be able to? or can you not send then when connected to 2g?

Well, only because to the best of knowledge (i.e what I read on the net today) meteor 3G is only still on trial? and based on that awell as being pre-pay I may not be allowed access.

Anyway, still learning how to use the phone and it's features.
    I still even know how it selects the correct APN as their is no option to "activate" a particular one etc. Just all of them in a list

hmmm on my nokia 6230i its only on when transmitting an MMS message, or when on the internet?
    must be only the newer nokias so.

I'm in blanch, but as I said it might because of (the frequent!) changes I've been making with the different APN settings. But in work too (Leopardstown), the service worked at one point, then nothing...I'll have to try some proper tests and make note of what I change so I know what it affects
    once you have it working don't change anything tbh because nothing except exactly the right settings will work

Well, only because to the best of knowledge (i.e what I read on the net today) meteor 3G is only still on trial? and based on that awell as being pre-pay I may not be allowed access.
    it's been available to the general public for a few months now and pre pay doesn't matter

that would explain it yes. they must have provisioned more handsets for that service

must be only the newer nokias so.
    Yep, it is quite old ;) (but reliable, i go back to with when every other phone I have breaks)

it's been available to the general public for a few months now and pre pay doesn't matter
    Ok, didn't know that. Thought it was just a trial to 70,000 bill pay customers. Good to know, thanks

Well, the offcial response from Meteor is "Meteor don't support that handset".....

The lady (Who was helpful and tried to look for things) wasn't familar with the handset either.

She said they just usually "go into the system, select the phone type, then press send for the mms settings, but for your phone, there no mms settings listed"

I'll keep trying the various APN settings.

The annoying thing is that is worked briefly twice today, before I tried to "improve" the settings ;)

• Advertisement

Well, the offcial response from Meteor is "Meteor don't support that handset".....

The lady (Who was helpful and tried to look for things) wasn't familar with the handset either.

She said they just usually "go into the system, select the phone type, then press send for the mms settings, but for your phone, there no mms settings listed"

I'll keep trying the various APN settings.

The annoying thing is that is worked briefly twice today, before I tried to "improve" the settings ;)

these are the settings as they should be:

Name: Meteor MMS
    APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: 10.85.85.85
    Port: 8799
    Username: my
    Password:mms
    Server: none
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    MMS proxy: 10.85.85.85
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    APN Type: None

so re-enter them. can you receive mms if your sim is in another phone that can normally receive mms

yes, my sim works for mms & gprs/edge in my nokia 6230i and it did it my sony ericsson k750i

at the moment, i have very very ssslooooowwww internet access using:

Name: Meteor Wap
    APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: 10.85.85.85
    Port: 8799
    Password:meteor
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: <not set>
    MMS proxy: <not set>
    MMS port: <not set>

My mms settings are as you said, but I still cannot recieve, only send

My mms settings are as you said, but I still cannot recieve, only send

could you put your sim into your 6230i now and see if it can receive or have you checked recently?

could you log into the meteor website, click show all options under need help, click download settings and tell me what handset it has as the default?

Meteor have my phone model as "HTC DREA100"

As meteor now have my phone model recorded as "HTC DREA100", putting my sim back into my 6230i means I have to change the settings in the mymeteor website and download new settings.

As the pic shows, no settings are available. This is what the meteor person told me also :)

Interestingley, now looking at my call charges,
    When I had it working yesterday intermittently at good speeds, I had charges called "GPRSDATA", a once off .99c charge.

Now today, since I have the really slow access and the apn as wap.mymeteor.ie, the charges are "GPRSWAP" and are charged by the second.

Yesterday I was using various combinations of isp.mymeteor.ie and data.mymeteor.ie, mostly using port 8799 which I believe is WAP 2.0 (As oppossed to port 9201 for WAP 1.0)

I rang customer service (weekend staff!) again, and the guy told me that "everything is enabled and working on your account, wap, internet, and mms"
    He said on his screen that wap and internet were two seperate things
    I then told my mms wasn't actually working, he just got very very confused then.

• Advertisement

As meteor now have my phone model recorded as "HTC DREA100", putting my sim back into my 6230i means I have to change the settings in the mymeteor website and download new settings.
    why would putting your sim back into the 6230i mean you have to do anything on the website? once you have the settings on your phone you don't have to go near the website again.

are you now not able to receive mms on the 6230i but still able to send?

do you think that you have to download new settings to the phone each time you change the sim?

As the pic shows, no settings are available. This is what the meteor person told me also :)

if you want to put the settings on your 6230i, you click the "select other phone" button and pick the 6230i but you don't need to do that

this problem is probably being caused by the fact that the htc phone is selected as your default phone and they don't have it set up for mms. so ask them to change the phone they have listed for you to something else, eg the 6230i. the agent on the phone won't be able to do it, she'll have to escalate it to the technical team

Interestingley, now looking at my call charges,
    When I had it working yesterday intermittently at good speeds, I had charges called "GPRSDATA", a once off .99c charge.
    just to be sure, you mean it was 99c, not .99c, ie less that 1c, right?
    Now today, since I have the really slow access and the apn as wap.mymeteor.ie, the charges are "GPRSWAP" and are charged by the second.

Yesterday I was using various combinations of isp.mymeteor.ie and data.mymeteor.ie, mostly using port 8799 which I believe is WAP 2.0 (As oppossed to port 9201 for WAP 1.0)
    the correct settings for you to use are:
    Name: Meteor data
    APN: data.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: none
    Port: none
    Password:meteor
    Server: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    MMSC: none
    MMS proxy: none
    MMS port: none

don't use anything else.

No Luck I'm afraid, can only send MMS, not recieve, and no internet.

Customer service said the ISP feature is enabled, but I'm only getting intermittent access. It worked on Saturday evening, but nothing since.

I used the settings you gave above.

No Luck I'm afraid, can only send MMS, not recieve, and no internet.

Customer service said the ISP feature is enabled, but I'm only getting intermittent access. It worked on Saturday evening, but nothing since.

I used the settings you gave above.

if it's working sometimes and you're not changing the settings at all then either you're in a poor coverage area or the phone is faulty. there is no "better" way to do the settings, they're either right or they're not

if you can definitely still receive mms while your sim is in a different phone and you have requested them to change the listed phone to the 6230i or similar as i suggested then again, the problem is most likely coverage or a faulty phone

it's also possible that the problems are being caused by an old sim card so the next thing you should do is go to a meteor store and request a free replacement sim

btw if you're using data.mymeteor.ie, the ISP feature doesn't have to be enabled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I've just bought a G1, I'm with Meteor payg. Does anyone know the APN settings to allow me to sign into my Google account. Is it even possible with Meteor payg or do I have to buy a 3pay sim with €10 data add-on?

Where did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

Ebay, from uk then bought an unlock code from www.unlock-tmobileg1.com.

Advertisement