Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick iPhone Q - 3G & WiFi Usage - Which does it use ?

• 09-01-2009 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Just wondering about my new iPhone. If I have a data bundle on my account and connected via wifi. What happens when I download something ? Which does it use ? the 3G or wifi ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

brianon wrote: »
    Guys,

Just wondering about my new iPhone. If I have a data bundle on my account and connected via wifi. What happens when I download something ? Which does it use ? the 3G or wifi ?

Once you are connected to a wifi you will see the wifi symbol where 3G or E or the blue dot normally is. Once you see this, all your data goes through the wifi connection and not your data bundle. i.e. it "overrides" the data bundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Thats good to know. Thanks for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

This is not guaranteed though so I would set the phone to aeroplane mode just in case. This probably is not applicable to you but for people on speakeasy it is important to remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

This is not guaranteed though so I would set the phone to aeroplane mode just in case. This probably is not applicable to you but for people on speakeasy it is important to remember.

If you want to make sure you're only using the wifi connection, turn on airplane mode and then manually turn on the wifi. That'll turn off the 3G and EDGE (and also not allow calls in or out) and only the wifi connectivity will be operative.

Advertisement