Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Chelsea (Match Thread) KO 4.00 SS One

• 09-01-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

b_12.pngMan Utd v Chelsea b_4.png

Sunday 11th of January.
    Kick Off at 16.00.
    Live On Sky Sports One

United have shipped too many points to there rivals already this season and they need to get some back in the home games.
    IMO Liverpool have a very tricky game against Stoke away this weekend but you would still expect them to win.

Liverpools result could actually have a big impact on this game. If Liverpool win then a win for Man Utd or Chelsea becomes very important.
    If Liverpool draw or worse then both teams could actually be happy to walk out of this game with a point each.
    I expect United to start the game with a good pace about them and try to get at Chelsea early.

My pick for the team:

VDS
    Neville-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    ---Carrick-Fletcher---
    --Ronaldo
    Park
    ---Rooney--Berbatov---

The only selection choices I see are at RB, and I give the nod to Neville for his experience, his improving form, the fact he didn't play midweek, the fact Rafeal looked knackered towards the end of the 90 during mid week.
    Then in the middle, I have Fletcher ahead of Scholes. This I'm not sure about. I'm basing it on Scholes playing midweek but it is very possible that he will start the game and play for 60 minutes. Which could be the case that the prefer him to get 60 minutes in most matches rather than the one game on one off approach.
    Obviously if Rio isn't fit Evans will come in.

Match Day Squads...

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster, Neville, Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Nani, Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Park, Berbatov, Rooney, Welbeck, Gibson, Possebon.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Bosingwa, Ferreira, Ivanovic, Terry, Alex, Mancienne, A Cole, J Cole, Obi, Lampard, Kalou, Anelka, Drogba, Stoch, Carvalho, Di Santo, Deco, Mineiro, Belletti, Ballack.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Really looking forward to this match. As a Liverpool fan, I would be content with a draw - tis conceivable too.

Edit: Both teams are playing so so at the moment so I can see one of them using this as a way of kick starting there season again. A month ago, Chelsea's away record would have swung any predictions but it is anyones guess as to how this will pan out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dreading it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

VDS
    Neville-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    ---Carrick-Fletcher---
    --Ronaldo
    Park
    ---Rooney--Berbatov---

That would be the team I think would be capable of getting a win.

Although since its utd versus chelsea I see united scoring early and then playing defensivly leading to o'shea appearing for fletcher at 70 minutes and then chelsea scoring from a corner. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

As a Liverpool fan I will be hoping for a Chelsea win. At this stage of the season United are inevitably the biggest challengers and the more points they drop the better.

Unfortunately we all know how United respond to defeat & I believe this will be a big decisive factor in this game. United to win and possibly the first knife in Big Phil who's under serious pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

As a Liverpool fan Utd are IMO the team to finish above this season so hoping for a Chelsea win this weekend. Mind you draw would be beautiful also. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Not looking forward to this at all. Gonna be a nail biter, just hope liverpool screw up at stoke tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

As a Liverpool fan I will be hoping for a Chelsea win. At this stage of the season United are inevitably the biggest challengers and the more points they drop the better.

Unfortunately we all know how United respond to defeat & I believe this will be a big decisive factor in this game. United to win and possibly the first knife in Big Phil who's under serious pressure
    Big phil under pressure? 3 points off the top and in the last 16 of the Champs league...your kidding right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Not looking forward to this at all. Gonna be a nail biter, just hope liverpool screw up at stoke tomorrow.

Yep a bad result for Liverpool would allow me to enjoy this match a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

VDS
    Neville-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    ---Carrick-Fletcher---
    --Ronaldo
    Park
    ---Rooney--Berbatov---

While I actually like Fletcher, a Chelsea midfield of Lampard, Deco and Mikel or Lampard, Ballack and Mikel would likely have the upper hand for large portions of the match.

That is assuming that they don't play Anelka and Drogba up top together,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

VDS
    Neville-Rio-Vidic-Evra
    ---Carrick-Fletcher---
    --Ronaldo
    Park
    ---Rooney--Berbatov---

That will be the team, but I dont think United will win. Draw is the best can hope for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who's going to score the goals is the question that pops into my head.

I can see stalemate with a slight bias towards Utd if thier heads are in the right place. Chelsea are not in the zone at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Highsider wrote: »
    Big phil under pressure? 3 points off the top and in the last 16 of the Champs league...your kidding right.

Out of the last 12 games, they've drawn 7 and lost 1 ... the teams they beat were West Brom twice, Bolton and CFR Cluj. They drew against the might of Newcastle, West Ham, Southend, Fulham, Everton, Bordeaux and Burnley.

Not to mention they've been beaten at home twice this season, having not been beaten there for years. Not only that, but they have struggled to pick up points at home, with a record of 4 wins, 4 draws and 2 losses.

In london over christmas, i was talking to a few people who have been Chelsea season ticket holders for 20+ years and they had no faith in Scolari. Bring back Ranieri/Morinho or even Grant they said.

The pressure is well and truly on Scolari. They brought in him to win in style. At the moment, they're finding it difficult enough to win.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm dreading and looking forward to this match in equal measure. I was spared all of this for the Stamford Bridge game when I had a match myself, a mixed blessing really.

Fergie confirmed Rio is fit during his press conference. No other injury news apart from long time absentees Wes Brown, and Owen Hargreaves.

Available squads added to the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

_________ VDS_________

GNEV---VIDIC----FERDINAND----EVRA

RONALDO--CARRICK---SCHOLES---PJS

BERBATOV----ROONEY

SUBS:
    KUSZCZAK
    RAFAEL
    O'SHEA
    TEVEZ
    GIGGS
    EVANS
    FLETCHER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

No confidence in our team and regardless of whether Jackdaw watches or not we'll lose or struggle to get a draw

Just noticed there is no Tevez listed in Uniteds squad yet he wasn't mentioned as being injured in Fergies conference. Maybe a mistake by the BBC, if not that is very interesting (read weird).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

_________ VDS_________

GNEV---VIDIC----EVANS----EVRA

BERBATOV----ROONEY

That's the team I would pick.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ferguson like he has done in the past go 4-3-3 against Chelsea.

Midfield of Fletcher/Scholes - Carrick - Anderson

Rooney - Berbatov - Ronaldo up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mike65 wrote: »
    Who's going to score the goals is the question that pops into my head.

I can see stalemate with a slight bias towards Utd if thier heads are in the right place. Chelsea are not in the zone at all.

Sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Highsider wrote: »

Mourinho - two league titles, still in contention for a third, had made the CL semi's twice (maybe once). FIRED.

Grant - one point off winning the league, lost CL final on penalties. FIRED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Just noticed there is no Tevez listed in Uniteds squad yet he wasn't mentioned as being injured in Fergies conference. Maybe a mistake by the BBC, if not that is very interesting (read weird).

now, that is interesting.

@Carroller16 and Boggles: Surely you would have Rio in ahead of Evans?

Wouldn't pick Scholes after WEdnesdays performance. Way off the pace and generally poor. Would go Carrick and Fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

very hard game for utd

chelsea are better away at the moment

imo i think utd will be really up for this after that fiasco against derby

but personally i wouldnt have fletcher in the 1st team (Dont think he's good enough for this match)

this would be my team
    _________ VDS_________

GNEV---VIDIC----Rio----EVRA

BERBATOV----ROONEY

thank god evra is back i really missed him, the team really missed him too

right back for me is a hard decision

Raf would be alot better going forward but Neville can defend and has more experience but has shown since he came back he's not the player he use to be

Same question to HeadShot.

very hard game for utd

chelsea are better away at the moment

imo i think utd will be really up for this after that fiasco against derby

but personally i wouldnt have fletcher in the 1st team

like Carroller16

this is would be my team too
    _________ VDS_________

GNEV---VIDIC----EVANS----EVRA

BERBATOV----ROONEY

thank god evra is back i really missed him, the team really missed him too

right back for me is a head decision

Raf would be alot better going forward but Neville can defend and has more experience but has shown since he came back he's not the player he use to be
    I'd have fletch in, Raf in, Park on the right (Doubling defence with Raf) and leaving Ronaldo to link with Evra on the right. Though where Park plays will probably be influenced by which side of the pitch Joe Cole plays on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As a Liverpool fan, to be honest I couldn't care less about this result. United and Chelsea fans will rightly care about Liverpool's result against Stoke, but for me that is the only result that matters this weekend.

Get 3 points against Stoke, and Liverpool are guaranteed to stretch their lead over either United or Chelsea, possibly both.

However, I see a United win here. They had a kick up the bum in the cup match in midweek and I'm sure they will have themselves really fired up for this. I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea got a right kicking.

Man Utd 3 - 1 Chelsea

Same question to HeadShot.

i corrected my mistake

ment to have Rio in

im blind

no way would i have evans in sundays team

Rio for me too.

• Advertisement

He didn't do badly against them at Stamford Bridge this season, to be fair to him.

spockety wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan, to be honest I couldn't care less about this result.

bollix ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bore draw.

Although, if Neville plays, I'd expect Chelsea to win, 1-0.

I'd have fletch in, Raf in, Park on the right (Doubling defence with Raf) and leaving Ronaldo to link with Evra on the right. Though where Park plays will probably be influenced by which side of the pitch Joe Cole plays on.

good point

sir Alex did the same thing to city

but i still wouldnt have fletch in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

so there's no hope for scholes starting this match then?

re-edit my team

_________ VDS_________

Raf---VIDIC----Rio----EVRA

park--CARRICK---SCHOLES---Ronaldo
    BERBATOV----ROONEY

Now id be very confident of that team

• Advertisement

He didn't do badly against them at Stamford Bridge this season, to be fair to him.

Well fair enough, but was Drogba around for that match? Wouldn't like to see Drogba targeting Evans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yeah I noticed that! Could be after his brutal performance on Weds (he wasn't the only one mind) or maybe it is something to do with this transfer debacle at the moment?? He's always useful to have as an option coming off the bench though, even if SAF didn't want to use him.

I'd go with carrick & Fletcher in midfield with the option of SCholes on the bench. In fairness to Fletch I'm not his biggest fan but in a lot of games this season he has made some useful runs into the box which is the kind of play we need at the moment with our goal famine.

syngindub wrote: »
    so there's no hope for scholes starting this match then?

Eh? Of course there is. None of us has any say in it! We don't know what Fergie is planning to do.

Personally, I think we'll need more energy and more defensiveness in midfield than Scholes can provide. I'd love to have Hargreaves available, but Fletcher is the only option coming close.

Plus, i think Fletcher is probably the best big game player we have, especially for games at OT. It would cut down on the creativity from midfield, but we'd just have tpo put faith in Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov and Carrick to fashion something out, then not miss horribly.

Well fair enough, but was Drogba around for that match? Wouldn't like to see Drogba targeting Evans.

I agree - just p saying that Evra at the back wouldn't be a complete disaster if it came down to it, just not ideal. You'd hope Vidic would pick up Drogba, as I would hope even with Rio playing as Vidic is stronger in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I'd go with Headhsot's team.

Raf, Fletcher, Tevez, Anderson etc. will then play in the catch-up game on Wednesday against Wigan. If we can get 6 points from these two games, Liverpoll will crack under the pressure (i hope).

I for one would be happy to turn these games in hand into points on the board once and for all.

• Advertisement

I agree - just p saying that Evra at the back wouldn't be a complete disaster if it came down to it, just not ideal. You'd hope Vidic would pick up Drogba, as I would hope even with Rio playing as Vidic is stronger in the air.

I presume you mean Evans :P

Yeah either way you would hope Vidic will be picking up Drogba for the long balls up top. But IMO if Drogba sees Evans in the team he would be standing beside the whole game. Vidic tries to pick him Drogba just follows Evans.

I know he could target Rio as well but Rio is experience enough to deal with it. Maybe not by beating him in the air, but by making sure he isn't able to do anything with it.

P.S I'm talking about open play here not set pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm off to this match and don't have the best feeling about it. We still aren't playing well and I think the Chelsea players will raise their game big time for this.

I don't think the scouse will slip up against Stoke again, would be great if that match was a draw and United got a maximum of 6 points, will leave Liverpool on 46, United on 44 with a game in hand.

With United to play Bolton next saturday, it is not beyond the realms of possibility they could be top by 5 o'clock Saturday, with a mersey side derby facing Liverpool Monday evening.

Squeaky bum time not just for United but for the other 2 aswell.

Boggles wrote: »
    I don't think the scouse will slip up against Stoke again, would be great if that match was a draw and United got a maximum of 6 points, will leave Liverpool on 46, United on 44 with a game in hand.

With United to play Bolton next saturday, it is not beyond the realms of possibility they could be top by 5 o'clock Saturday, with a mersey side derby facing Liverpool Monday evening.

Squeaky bum time not just for United but for the other 2 aswell.

Its also possible that Chelsea could be top by the end of this weekend.

Its also possible that Chelsea could be top by the end of this weekend.

Or Liverpool 6 points clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

If Rio is fit defo

I see he is fit now

TEAM CHANGED AcCORDINGLY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

although not feeling particularly confident about chelsea winning this game, we do seem to raise our game at old trafford and our record there isn't bad at all, on the plus side Terry and Carvalho are back together again which hasn't happened in bleedin ages and Anelka is due a goal after his recent drought. Although Paddy Power were offering 5/1 on chelsea winning this one yesterday (on the chlesea site, and that offer seems to have now dissappeared), didn't inspire much confidence.

The draw seems like the most likely result, at least a draw would make the train journey back to london with my Utd. supporting wife more tolerable :-)

Going for a 1-0 chelsea win, Lampard to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm going for a boring 0-0 draw

Man Utd have struggled to break down most teams this season, it clearly won't change for this game, and Chelsea are poor against good opposition under Big Phill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm pretty sceptical about this match, especially with an unfit Ferdinand. That said, Chelsea have had trouble breaking down top teams too, especially due to their lack of width when their full backs are dealt with. Not really sure to be honest, hoping beyond hope for a win :)

10 nil to United, walk in the park tbh.......oh sorry, I thought I was on the United v Derby thread.....oh sh1t...........:o

Tough game IMO, could be a draw but even now we need a win to get some momentum going. Lack of goals lately concerns me. Hope Berbatov justifies his price in this game.

Rio, Vidic, Carrick, Rooney, Park and Fletcher all should play IMO. For the style of play needed to beat Chelsea we need these guys.

Gotta remember one of the games in hand is midweek though. SAF may rotate a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement