Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Chelsea (Match Thread) KO 4.00 SS One

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Delighted with the result and performance, especially from the players who a lot on here questioned stupidly before the game. Show a bit of faith lads for crying out loud.

Anyways, had a feeling that we were going to up our game a few levels today and we did that. That said, that is as bad as Chelsea have played against us in a long time. They offered nothing up front and this four man central midfield idea is just plain ridiculous.

Vidic and Evans were excellent at the back, the latter has really put his name on the map to take over the reins from Rio in a few years. Evra and Neville had little to deal with such was the narrow play from Chelsea. Fletch and Giggsy were immense in the middle of the park and to be fair Fletcher is keeping guys out of the side on merit at this stage. Park ran the equivalent of three marathons by the looks of it and he was a livewire for a lot of the game. Still lacks that final ball but his workrate and energy are so important in ties like this. Ronaldo still isn't getting the rub of the green but played better than he has in a lot of recent games.

Up front Rooney and Berbatov worked well and it was great to see Berbatov get his name on the scoresheet. Some of his touches were brilliant especially when spun over the ball to leave Terry sliding past him - if only he played Rooney in then!

Three points is the important thing but at least something seemed to click today and hopefully we can kick on from here. It'll be no good winning today if we screw up against Wigan during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Jesus Christ read the ****in thread. I have apologised for not taking the fact united and Liverpool play each other into account. I have also pointed out that I apologised for it on this page.

i was away from the comp. replied to ur post before i read the rest of the posts...meh..i wanted to try make a thousand bucks, you cant blame a guy for trying!!

so now we have a situation where liverpool and utd both have their premiership destiny in their own hands and it is in that year, where fergie can finally catch liverpools haul of 18 itles..i really hope this one goes down to the wire as i believe our last 5 fixtures are easier and gerrard and co will be fired up if they have a serious chance to stick it to utd..its could be a great climax to the season, esp if chelsea stick around in the race also..

right now i think i would take 2nd behind chelsea if it was offered to me fwiw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Utd thoroughly deserved the spoils today but I would not say they were briliant Chelsea were horrific can't defend set pieces a man on the post would have stopped the first goal . Boswingas defending for the second was comical.
    Chelsea look like they will struggle big time could now be between Liverpool and utd with utd clear favourites but I'm sure there will be many twists and turns before it's over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fantastic performance and result :)

MOTM for me was either Vidic or Park

The defence in general was brilliant, so happy to keep the clean sheet too

*Looks around*

*Doesn't like what he sees*

/exits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

thought Evans deserved MoM TBH.

Also, please keep the Rafa fergie chat for that thread. This thread is not for that topic.

How anyone can say that anyone other than Giggs was MOTM is beyond me.

Evans? Jesus if Cheslea were on the ball his mistakes would have cost us dearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

2 MOTM awards for Giggs in the centre of the park, shame on those who wrote him off, notable mention for Fletcher, must have covered 20k.

Great result for United, could have been alot more.

Fergies post match comments were hilarious. :D

2 tough games ahead, stand by my prediction thou, United top by Saturday evening.

Anyone got a link to the post-match interview/s per chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Evans? Jesus if Cheslea were on the ball his mistakes would have cost us dearly.

Mistakes? When exactly did he mess up? He must have thrown himself infront of at least three shots close to the box. Anelka and Drogba never bothered Vidic or Evans because they weren't allowed get the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Dave! wrote: »
    MOTM for me was either Vidic or Park

Are you joking? :eek:

It'd have to be Giggs for me. And I admit it - when I saw that team sheet before kickoff I was dismayed.

Chelsea were terrible though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Did anybody risk naming Fletcher in the "Players to watch in 2009" thread?
    He has been fantastic this season, and today was one of his best games yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

It'd have to be Giggs for me. And I admit it - when I saw that team sheet before kickoff I was dismayed.

Chelsea were terrible though.[/quote]
    Park was fantastic today. The whole United team were incredible. In the first half, Park was United's biggest threat and his work rate was yet again phenomenal.

There were so many contenders for MOTM (Giggs, Fletcher, Vidic, Park). It's unfair to pick just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I've always gotten the impression you aren't Evans biggest fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

This was a bigger game than the three points. Man U illustrated a gulf in class between themselves and Chelsea, and for me it comes down to spirit. This could cause a collapse in Chelsea similar to the collapse after a defeat to Man U of Arsenal a couple of seasons ago.

Yes, games in hand are not points, but Liverpool have to be nervous now.

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote: »
    Are you joking? :eek:

No bud, I'm not joking! :eek: You thought Park was bad today?

Giggs was excellent too

There's alot of positives to take from today, as pretty much everyone was impressive tbh.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just one other thing and I am probably completely off the mark with this, I seen the shots of Tevez on the sideline and for some reason it looked to me from his facial expressions that he might have played his last game for United. I might be way off the mark but there was something about the way he was waving to the crowd like he was thinking 'thank you, I love you all and you don't know yet but I've been forced to leave for first team football'. As I said I'm probably completely off the mark with that, just thought I'd mention it though.

Well considering he is contracted til at least the end of the season and United will not profit by letting him go anywhere now, I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

No bud, I'm not joking! :eek: You thought Park was bad today?

Giggs was excellent too

There's alot of positives to take from today, as pretty much everyone was impressive tbh.

PARK was incredible, hes a legend and you are 100 percent right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Anyone got a link to the post-match interview/s per chance?

+ 1 on this. Had to leave the pub after the game :(

Delighted with the result and it's a credit to Fergie that before this though I was cautious I did write that I'd wait till after the game and had faith in his decisions. So many times you say huh? but ya have to remember who you're questioning.
    Giggs MOTM for me for those forward bursting runs with the ball in the middle. No real bad performances from any United players. Now let's hope for more of the same Wednesday.

so let me get this straight fergie expects giggs to dominate midfield

fergie must be having a laugh

so if carrick is injured why no scholes or even anderson

its a total joke

biggest game of the season and thats the midfield he has

words fail me

only1stevo wrote: »
    I will quote this after we have won.

no problem

because it wont be happening

im really stuck for words here after that line-up

Cough...

Sorry, I just had to:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

only1stevo wrote: »
    Cough...

Sorry, I just had to:D

****ing knew that was coming stevo :pac:
    (shakes fist)

i blame chelsea for my poor judgement

btw who am I to judge Sir Alex

i still think it was some big gamble with Giggs in cm
    just lucky he came out trumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

K4t wrote: »
    There were so many contenders for MOTM (Giggs, Fletcher, Vidic, Park). It's unfair to pick just one.

Ahem....Evra?
    For the period he was on the pitch he showed that we missed him a whole lot during the past few weeks. We was a constant threat down the flank and set up the second goal. Also won the ball at the back on a number of times before bursting out of defense with the ball on the break.
    Really hope his injury is not too bad.

****ing knew that was coming stevo :pac:
    (shakes fist)

i blame chelsea for my poor judgement

who am I to judge the Sir Alex

Dont blame chelsea, blame rafa!

Tut Tut Headshot ya should've got back there and edited those posts ;)

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Tut Tut Headshot ya should've got back there and edited those posts ;)

im too lazy

even the best can make mistakes :pac:

i can only judge the team that was in from of me at the time and tbh that midfield choice was lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Wasn't a bad match.
    One thing that annoyed me-
    Berbatov was tragically bad in the 1st half.

Wasn't a bad match.
    One thing that annoyed me-
    Berbatov was tragically bad in the 1st half.

besides he goal I taught he was bad overall

still not working up front for me

but maybe with todays goal he'll drive on

besides he goal I taught he was bad overall

still not working up front for me

but maybe with todays goal he'll drive on

ahem 2 assists and a goal.

Boggles wrote: »

those assist were lucky he ment to goal for himself but misjudges them

those assist were lucky he ment to goal for himself but misjudges them

Were you talking to him?

The fact of the matter is, United scored 3 goals, Berbatov was involved in all 3, don't think there was much more he could have done today as a forward player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

1st half- he hit 2 aimless passes to Ronaldo, lost the ball through a run once, and squandered a good chance on goal after making the space for himself.
    2nd half he impressed me, but to use an overused cliche: it is a game of two halves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Were you talking to him?

The fact of the matter is, United scored 3 goals, Berbatov was involved in all 3, don't think there was much more he could have done today as a forward player.

Indeed,He did look off the pace in the first half. But he got involved in the first two goals and got the third. Also set up rooney with some nice passes.

Were you talking to him?

of course i wasnt talking to him but if was i tell him to get off his lazy arse

that first half chance where Ronney set him up was a brutal effort
    top striker would have finished that off

Berba's hair was involved in Ronneys goal
    maybe even not his hair
    im not sure did he even touch it

Berba's hair was involved in the 3rd goal
    maybe even not his hair

Incredible skill tho to wrongfoot carvahlo

It's his style, last few games he has produced.

Missing one chance with his bad leg, which he did brilliant to create himself, does not make him a bad player.

Being involved in 3 goals however you interupt his involvement makes him valuable in my humble opinion.

It's his style, last few games he has produced.

Missing one chance with his bad leg, which he did brilliant to create himself, does not make him a bad player.

Being involved in 3 goals however you interupt his involvement makes him valuable in my humble opinion.

so thats berba,Nani and tevez we dont agree on :D
    whats next:D

how can he be involved in 3 goals when he didnt even touch the ball in Ronneys goal

Ah sure it will all come out in the wash. :pac:

Have to say I felt very proud when I saw Tevez warming up, applauding and kissing the badge was brilliant.

Would just top the week if he were tied down to 5 years tommorow and we can forget about the pretenders been touted as his replacement.

The guy is top top class.

Ah sure it will all come out in the wash. :pac:

Have to say I felt very proud when I saw Tevez warming up, applauding and kissing the badge was brilliant.

Would just top the week if he were tied down to 5 years tommorow and we can forget about the pretenders been touted as his replacement.

The guy is top top class.
    Boggles your a lost cause :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

i can only judge the team that was in from of me at the time and tbh that midfield choice was lucky

Sorry. Just wondering. Do you think Ferguson got lucky today?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

To Mitch Conner before the game on the team selection.

Lol

how can he be involved in 3 goals when he didnt even touch the ball in Ronneys goal

Though at times he does bug he he was very much involved. His position meant he was a threat to header the ball and stopped Cech from coming off his line to easily pick it out of the air.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Sorry. Just wondering. Do you think Ferguson got lucky today?:confused:

if chelsea were anyway good today

utd midfield would be in trouble

if Jose was there i dought Giggs would have started
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Though at times he does bug he he was very much involved. His position meant he was a threat to header the ball and stopped Cech from coming off his line to easily pick it out of the air.
    but is that an assist then ?

I wouldnt call it an assist no. All I meant was he played an important part in the goal.

Berbatov gets too much abuse here imo, we just beat one of the better teams in Europe here 3-0, we destroyed them, and Berbatov was a key component of that, for some people I don't think a hat trick would be enough to warrant any praise for Berb.

Fair enough he gave the ball away a few times, but so did Giggs, and Giggs was absolutely fantastic, you can't get every single ball perfect in a match! Feel harsh on Tevez but Berbatov is hitting form at just the right time I think.

that's one assist. He didn't touch Evras cross.

• Advertisement

that's one assist. He didn't touch Evras cross.

Thought he did, I stand corrected so, like the man in orthopedic shoes.

One assist, one goal, and he was involved in Evra's cross which led to Rooneys, still not too shabby.

One question though, how did Evra get injured?

Thought he did, I stand corrected so, like the man in orthopedic shoes.

One assist, one goal, and he was involved in Evra's, still not too shabby.

His presence in the box created space for Rooney, should have headed it but :pac:

Mistakes? When exactly did he mess up? He must have thrown himself infront of at least three shots close to the box. Anelka and Drogba never bothered Vidic or Evans because they weren't allowed get the ball.

1st half twice. He over committed to a tackle and made Vidic clean up for him. He then hit a few sloppy passes an earned a bollocking from Giggs. Vidic on the other hand didn't put a foot wrong all day. yes Evans made some great blocks as the game went on but MOTM he most certainly was not.

Smegball wrote: »
    I've always gotten the impression you aren't Evans biggest fan?

Not at all. I had my doubts about his ability to step up to the top level but he;s proven himself. Very happy to have him.

One question though, how did Evra get injured?
    i think it was from his celebration

1st half twice. He over committed to a tackle and made Vidic clean up for him. He then hit a few sloppy passes an earned a bollocking from Giggs. Vidic on the other hand didn't put a foot wrong all day. yes Evans made some great blocks as the game went on but MOTM he most certainly was not.

Not at all. I had my doubts about his ability to step up to the top level but he;s proven himself. Very happy to have him.

Fair enough, my bad!

• Advertisement
Advertisement