Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Chelsea (Match Thread) KO 4.00 SS One

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

10 nil to United, walk in the park tbh.......oh sorry, I thought I was on the United v Derby thread.....oh sh1t...........:o

Tough game IMO, could be a draw but even now we need a win to get some momentum going. Lack of goals lately concerns me. Hope Berbatov justifies his price in this game.

Rio, Vidic, Carrick, Rooney, Park and Fletcher all should play IMO. For the style of play needed to beat Chelsea we need these guys.

LOL:pac:

As a Liverpool fan, I'm obviously praying the pool are 6 points ahead before this match starts. If that's the case I could watch this game with relative ease. If Liverpool draw or, god forbid, lose, I'd be hoping for a chelsea win as I feel they are more likely to slip up at a later date and I'm slightly nervous about going back to OT after last years........hiccup.

I predict a 0-0 or 1-1 which would be ideal for Liverpool. If Ronaldo starts getting his old form back it may tilt the scale but I just don't see that happening for this game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea 2-0 ManUtd
    Chelseas season starts sunday, time to romp home and win it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

re-edit my team

_________ VDS_________

Raf---VIDIC----Rio----EVRA

park--CARRICK---SCHOLES---Ronaldo
    BERBATOV----ROONEY

Now id be very confident of that team

That's probably who I'd send out too.. I'd rather see Raf get tired after an hour with the Chelsea attack and a fresh Neville come on than vice versa. Midfield is solid with a nice bit of room for swapping (Fletcher for Scholes maybe)

As excited as I am scared :) I'm in work 12-6 though, ****ing nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Neville should not play... he is over the hill and has been playing terrible since coming back. Easily United's weakest link in any game he has played the last few months.

Im hoping for a United win (obv), ill take a stab a 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I think this game could be perfect for Neville. I'd rather not have Raf's defensive capabilities tested in such a tense, must win game. Neville has experience and in fairness has been coming into some semblance of form lately.

Scholes NEEDS to play. We are by far a better team with him.

Jesus Christ I hope the pool slip up. Im nervous already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rio, Vidic, Carrick, Rooney, Park and Fletcher all should play IMO. For the style of play needed to beat Chelsea we need these guys.

I agree

Looking forward to this actually! :D I'm off work, so shall be pubbing it for the day methinks

I'm not confident of a United victory, but I remain hopeful :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Rio better play! Evans has not impressed me. Wish we still had Pique!

Hope Vidic slaughters Drogba!

Had to sell my ticket to the match, so hope for my sanity's sake its not 5-0 to us or something!!! Maybe I should put a bet down for a landslide man u victory, to save me some pain!

Hope that car crash knocked some sense into Ronaldo! Would love to see him do well in this game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Injuries and suspensions are the order of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

no dodgy calls for the home team is the order of the day thanks to Mr Rafa. No hounding of referees by players or officials. or at least punishments in line with the "respect" campaign, if they do occur. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bump

why?

EDIT: See why now, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

why?

EDIT: See why now, sorry.
    no really why?

am i missing something or just slow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm not sure why people would be worried about having Rafael play for United - it's not like Chelsea have a left winger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    no really why?

am i missing something or just slow?

Someone had started a new match thread for the same game.

Chelsea 2-0 ManYoo

I hope :)

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people would be worried about having Rafael play for United - it's not like Chelsea have a left winger?

No, its notm thats true. Its more about having a complete defensively capable back four. Regardless of the arguments for/against Raf he is still somewhat an unknown quantity defensively. Neville on the other hand, we know what to expect, we get a defensively sound player who does well going forward. I dont think having a chink in the armour, no matter where it is, is optimal against a team like Chelsea.

I think maybe its my fear of giving the youth a chance in such a big game. I trust Fergie to make the right decision anyway whether it is in line with my opinion or not.

Im going to go for a 1-1 draw, but the fantasist in me would love a 2-0 United victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No, its notm thats true. Its more about having a complete defensively capable back four. Regardless of the arguments for/against Raf he is still somewhat an unknown quantity defensively. Neville on the other hand, we know what to expect, we get a defensively sound player who does well going forward. I dont think having a chink in the armour, no matter where it is, is optimal against a team like Chelsea.

I think maybe its my fear of giving the youth a chance in such a big game. I trust Fergie to make the right decision anyway whether it is in line with my opinion or not.

Im going to go for a 1-1 draw, but the fantasist in me would love a 2-0 United victory.

thats why theresalwaysone

fergie should go for this line up

_________ VDS_________

BERBATOV----ROONEY

park is a great worker and can cover raf and having Ronaldo with evra will be a very dangerous partnership

_________ VDS_________

BERBATOV----ROONEY

park is a great worker and can cover raf and having Ronaldo with evra will be a very dangerous partnership

Are those ones in Caps to emphasize something?

I think Neville instead of Raf in that lineup would make the team as a whole stronger for this match too tbh.

That's not true about Neville anymore. Any time I've seen him this year he's been bad. I'd say if anything he's more likely to be a "chink in the armour" than Raf.

It's about playing to your strengths and exploiting the other team's weaknesses after all, and the fact that Chelsea don't have a left winger to threaten us is a weakness we should undoubtedly exploit by having the attacking talent of Rafael in the team.

We can always double him up with Park if you're worried about him defensively.

_________ VDS_________

BERBATOV----ROONEY

Yup agree totally with this - you beat me to pretty much everything I was thinking!

• Advertisement

That's not true about Neville anymore. Any time I've seen him this year he's been bad. I'd say if anything he's more likely to be a "chink in the armour" than Raf.

It's about playing to your strengths and exploiting the other team's weaknesses after all, and the fact that Chelsea don't have a left winger to threaten us is a weakness we should undoubtedly exploit by having the attacking talent of Rafael in the team.

We can always double him up with Park if you're worried about him defensively.

But is it? I mean, he hasnt exactly got any real gametime since he returned and while that is as much as a negative it means that saying he is past it is a bit premature. He has been coming into better form lately, and is experienced enough to know how to handle such a big match?

Im not sure who I prefer definitely, but for this match I think Neville is better. Id love it though if Raf started and made me eat my defensively doubtful words.

But is it? I mean, he hasnt exactly got any real gametime since he returned and while that is as much as a negative it means that saying he is past it is a bit premature. He has been coming into better form lately, and is experienced enough to know how to handle such a big match?

Im not sure who I prefer definitely, but for this match I think Neville is better. Id love it though if Raf started and made me eat my defensively doubtful words.

I just think it's mad to give Neville the benefit of the doubt by saying he might regain old form instead of going with Rafael who actually has been playing great.

We've not had any problems defensively either in a long time - scoring goals has been our problem and imo the more attacking options we have the better.

A wing consisting of Gary Neville and Park would be fairly woeful going forward...

I just think it's mad to give Neville the benefit of the doubt by saying he might regain old form instead of going with Rafael who actually has been playing great.

We've not had any problems defensively either in a long time - scoring goals has been our problem and imo the more attacking options we have the better.

A wing consisting of Gary Neville and Park would be fairly woeful going forward...

Cant disagree with any of that tbh, you guys are probably right. I could be suffering from benitezitis... better get to a doc quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I think Neville for this game is a no brainer. He brings bucket loads of experience and always helps get the lads fired up for these ones.

redout wrote: »
    I think Neville for this game is a no brainer. He brings bucket loads of experience and always helps get the lads fired up for these ones.

No doubting his experience - it's his level of performance and lack of attacking prowess I'd be worried about though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Raf / Nev is a tough one but I think Fergie will go with Neville. Before his injury Neville was excellent going forward. His entire game has been affected by the injury but he is gradually getting his fitness/sharpness back and will be a good option for us this season.

Regarding tomorrow I think his experience and Fergies mentality will trump Rafael. I would prefer Rafael giving us his speed and enthusiasm going forward. But Fergies policy in Chelsea(and other big games) games in recent years is to contain and not over commit(hence the inclusion of Park in many big games).

Blue is the colour...

Carefree wherever we may be....

Chelsea! Chelsea! Chelsea!

One (More) time, lets put them away at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Really hard one to call today. Neither team has been playing well in the last few weeks(or even all season).

Of course being a United fan I`m hoping for a United victory but I`m not overly confident.

I`ll go for 2-1 to United with Vidic scoring the winner from a set piece due to Chelseas surprising lack of organisation in defense this season.

have a feeling if Tevez is on the bench he'll come-on and score the winner

going for 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Team wise, I'd probably go with the team Headshot posted. Strong in both attack and defence if they click. Hopefully today's the day they will. :D

Not too sure what the result will be TBH. Obviously I'm wanting Utd to win, but with neither team performing anywhere near their best it should be a decent enough game. A win for either team could potentially be the kick start they're both looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Score draw. Hopefully im wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

DrMorphine wrote: »
    Score draw. Hopefully im wrong

United undefeated at home, Chelsea undefeated away, looking like a draw alright.

source SSN

the fire-alarm went off in chelsea's hotel

alarm went off at 7.00 this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Fergie up to his old tricks... ;)

btw Headshot your sig is just lame. I'd love to hear you trying to speak in spanish and pronouncing every work perfectly. It's not funny in the slightest really, of all the potentially funny sigs the press conference created you pick the lame one. Clap Clap.

On topic again, obv hope it's a draw. Tbh i'll still prob be cheering for Chelsea deep down. :) Can see United winning it 1-0 tho with Carrick netting the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    btw Headshot your sig is just lame. I'd love to hear you trying to speak in spanish and pronouncing every work perfectly. It's not funny in the slightest really, of all the potentially funny sigs the press conference created you pick the lame one. Clap Clap.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

More on the alarm thing from the BBC
    1241: The plot thickens: Chelsea's players and staff were evacuated from their Manchester hotel at 0700 GMT this morning after the fire alarm went off. They spent around 50 minutes outside and in the lobby before being allowed to go back to their rooms.

In fairness 7 o'clock isn't the worst time it could have happened - Would have been a lot worse if it had been between 2 and 5 in the morning.

Boggles wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    thank you Boggles i couldnt say it better my self

FHACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

getting nervous now. I need at least 3 pints in me before this one:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I remember the city derby game, from the off you could see everyone had a spring in their step and they didn't want to let them play at all. I'm hoping for the same kind of start in this one.

I'm predicting a 2-1 home win. Ronnie & Berbatov.

With Deco/Lampard on the pitch, we should be careful not to give any silly free kicks around the box.

• Advertisement

thank you Boggles i couldnt say it better my self

FHACT

Can we not just stop this chidlish nonsense? If it was funny then fair enough but it is just becoming increasingly tedious - a surprisingly good representation of the direction that this forum is taking actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Can we not just stop this chidlish nonsense? If it was funny then fair enough but it is just becoming increasingly tedious - a surprisingly good representation of the direction that this forum is taking actually.

it's taken a headshot alright

He didn't bring it up in fairness...

I know he didn't but the whole thing is becoming a farce.

ill go back to my old sig then

man utd v pool is probly getting out of hand now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Thats fair. I prob should have said nothing I just think it's lame and unfunny. But i guess it's doing me no harm so i should have prob said nothing...

back on topic anyway.

Any word on the teams yet?

I kinda hope united start Neville, if they do it should allow Cole to get forward and cause problems. With Rafael at lb however united will have more of a threat down the right and Cole won't be able to raid as effectively.

• Advertisement

I know he didn't but the whole thing is becoming a farce.

Oh agree 100% with that - I pretty much stopped posting in the match thread yesterday as soon as the match ended because the stuff being said in there was just retarded.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Thats fair. I prob should have said nothing I just think it's lame and unfunny. But i guess it's doing me no harm so i should have prob said nothing...

back on topic anyway.

Any word on the teams yet?

I kinda hope united start Neville, if they do it should allow Cole to get forward and cause problems. With Rafael at rb however united will have more of a threat down the right and Cole won't be able to raid as effectively.

FYP.

I agree - I think Raf would be a way better option, haven't seen anything from Neville this season to suggest he's still up to this level.

Although redout made a good point yesterday about how he always gets the team up for this sort of game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

For me.......

VDS
    Rafa---Rio
    Vida----Pat
    Carrick--Fletch
    Ronaldo
    Park
    Rooney--Berba---

Dave! wrote: »
    For me.......

VDS
    Rafa---Rio
    Vida----Pat
    Carrick--Fletch
    Ronaldo
    Park
    Rooney--Berba---

why Fletch in the first team?

and wouldnt you be worried about Raf with Ronaldo not tracking back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

why Fletch in the first team?

and wouldnt you be worried about Raf with Ronaldo not tracking back

Fletcher is awesome in big games, particularly Chelsea for some reason, definite starter imo.

Ye i think Gnev will start instead of Raf, Cant understand some people claiming Gnev is ****e going forward, complete and utter bull, hes more direct than Raf imo, hugs the touchline and doesnt cut inside as much as Raf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement