Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bigger monitor, same res, any point ?

Options
  • 09-01-2009 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I have the dell 24 inch, giving a little thought to the 27inch but I notice its got the same res - 1920*1200, would there be any point in changing so ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If you feel that paying money to get eyestrain is a good idea, then yeah, definitely worth it!
    22" was too big for me, I can't see how anybody could possibly need over 24" for a monitor...

1900x1200 should still be fine for a screen that size, so I guess it depends on the specs really, it could have a better contrast ratio, better colour reproduction etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

I use my 19" for games with mouse and keyboard but everything else; Crysis, GTAIV, Assassins Creed, FIFA09 I sit back, turn on the xbox wireless controller and stick it on the 37" lcd

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i sometimes use a 42" HDTV LCD as a secondary monitor with 1200x800 res. sure it could put up with much more, but i'd have to change my font settings and it would clash with my laptop monitor's funk. anything higher without changing the font dpi is an eyestrain. cant say i notice a difference in hd video playback either, really: it looks the same at 12x8 as it is any higher. Similar to not seeing any improvement when playing Half Life on a 19" CRT at 1024x768 as opposed to resolutions even twice as high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Surely that's too big for a general PC? I wouldn't get a bigger monitor then my 24", at the distance at which you sit from the PC it'd be just too big. It'd be better for movies and media though.....but from a gaming perspective I wouldn't bother for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

22" is more than enuogh for me tbh. 27" would be an improvement for watching movies but a bit pointless when you could buy a 37" tv and sit further back and relax and not strain your eyes for the same money.

Think about it. Will you have to sit a little further back to get it all in your field of vision? It's a bit pointless then isn't it.

Here's a money saving tip, screen too small? Sit Closer! lol.

All that said it depends on your uses i'd imagine that someone doing graphics or CAD work or needs a lot of windows open at once say for music editing and what ever would probably benefit from more desktop area but maybe a second monitor would make more sense.

What do you use it for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

games and then some games

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Surely that's too big for a general PC? I wouldn't get a bigger monitor then my 24", at the distance at which you sit from the PC it'd be just too big. It'd be better for movies and media though.....but from a gaming perspective I wouldn't bother for sure.

Its a living room solution for me. as a desktop solution hellll no I probably would not. If I did I would use a higher resolution - the closer i sat the smaller the text could be readable at. but at the moment I sit about 10-12 feet away and run a 25' HDMI cable around the furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

MooseJam wrote: »
    games and then some games

Serious business eh! :) Save your money it's of no benefit to you.
    If it's e-peen you're after why not go for a new gfx card or processor?! OR ,like me, water cooling! Or the cheapest extension of all give yourself MORE RAM!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm using a 28" monitor, wouldn't go any smaller any more :) (and hope to get a 30" and use the 28" as a secondary monitor).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

If I am using my desktop, I only have a 40 inch lcd. :o Laptop gets most of the use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement