Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea ireland

Options
  • 09-01-2009 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see how much more expensive this is when it opens compared to the one in Belfast.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 prentice

any idea when It will be open?

I ma fairly condifent that the prices will be similar in any case .
    or blindly optimistic depending on your point of view!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Should open later this year or start of next. Something about a slip road from ballymun. Hoping the prices stay on a par wi their other stores in europe. If not customers will still travel north.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Love Ikea... but only for small things... wouldn't buy a sofa or bed or big still, you might as well go to Argos!

Oh and please... lets hope we don't see an "Ikea is a Rip off" thread which compares Irish to UK Ikea prices.... ARGH.........!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

mcwhirter wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how much more expensive this is when it opens compared to the one in Belfast.
    Would also be interesting to see how much more people in the Dublin store will expect to be paid compared to the one in Belfast. How much more the domestic rates to FCC will compare to Belfast City Council. How much more energy costs are in the ROI compared to NI.

Etc..,

Etc..,

Etc..,

;)

• Advertisement

Quality is much much better than Argos in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

greenman09 wrote: »
    Hoping the prices stay on a par wi their other stores in europe. If not customers will still travel north.

They've already said they're going to charge more here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

prentice wrote: »
    I ma fairly confident that the prices will be similar in any case.

Vat in the UK 15%
    Vat in Ireland 21.5%

There's a 6.5% difference immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say by the time they open there will be little or no market left for their goods, the economy is gone south and going even further south by the day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Their stuff will be cheaper than everyone else's, they'll have the ONLY market soon ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Their stuff will be cheaper than everyone else's, they'll have the ONLY market soon ;)

Exactly. It depends on whether they're going to be smart or greedy.

If they keep their prices similar to the U.K. given the VAT difference, then they'll clean up.
    If they do what every other foreign retailer does and jack the prices up to "what the market can take" they'll just annoy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I'd say by the time they open there will be little or no market left for their goods, the economy is gone south and going even further south by the day :(
    For hundred of thousands of people the economy will have little or no bearing on their spending. There are lots of people in secure jobs with little or no mortages paid off who are still spending, still decorating, still buying furniture.

Don't get carried away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Vat in the UK 15%
    Vat in Ireland 21.5%

There's a 6.5% difference immediately.

Yes I take your point, but I have seen for example in dunnes homeware section disparancies in the exchange rates.
    For instance I have seen an item for sale which was 10 pounds or 15 euros which seems to be the norm.
    But also seen an item which was 10 pounds or 13 euros.

Dunnes themselves are using different exchange rates, how come.

Advertisement