Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco Network Academy

Options
  • 09-01-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I have been doing the CCNA Network Academy Program since September. In terms of lab and knowledge exams, things are going extremely well (over 90% so far). When I finish the course and achieve a certain grade, it seems that I will be issued with a CCNA certificate through the Cisco Network Academy.

I am aware that you can also become CCNA certified by doing exams with Prometric. I have been trying to determine what the actual differences are between both certifications but I am having trouble tracking anything down.

Can anyone shed any light on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No on? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Theres no difference? :confused:. A CCNA is a CCNA whether you do it through Cisco academy or self study?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Each Semester in the Networking Academy ends with a final multiple choice exam and you get a certificate after passing each exam.

You still need to go to Prometric and do the CCNA industry exam. It is one of hardest certifications to get because the pass mark is 85%. Two of the questions ask you to use a router simulator where you need to type in router config commands. You need to know your onions.

There is a program called RouterSim and one called PacketTracer. Ask your instructor to give you them. They are very good and will help you a lot because they can be used as though they are real routers and networks. Very good educational tools.

As someone who did the academy and the CNNA exam I can tell you that will need to dedicate yourself to it if you are to pass.

Also see the CelticWarrior as he has lots of cheat sheets and simulated exams. He also tells you about the level of dedication required.

Bon Chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

pauldiv wrote: »
    Each Semester in the Networking Academy ends with a final multiple choice exam and you get a certificate after passing each exam.

You still need to go to Prometric and do the CCNA industry exam.

Good info Paul, though I though the whole idea of the academy was that you sit your CCNA industry cert exam at the end of it?.

pauldiv wrote: »

You still need to go to Prometric and do the CCNA industry exam. It is one of hardest certifications to get because the pass mark is 85%. Two of the questions ask you to use a router simulator where you need to type in router config commands. You need to know your onions.

There is a program called RouterSim and one called PacketTracer. Ask your instructor to give you them. They are very good and will help you a lot because they can be used as though they are real routers and networks. Very good educational tools.

As someone who did the academy and the CNNA exam I can tell you that will need to dedicate yourself to it if you are to pass.

Also see the CelticWarrior as he has lots of cheat sheets and simulated exams. He also tells you about the level of dedication required.

Bon Chance.

Thanks for the reply..

I was suggested to me that it is advisable to do the Prometric exam for completeness sake but you seem to be suggested that the Network Academy Program isn't really worth that much at all.

I intend doing the Prometric exam after I finish the Academy Program anyhow but was just curious.

If I am honest, while I really enjoy the current Academy Program that I am on and think that the format is perfect, I was under the impression that one or the other would suffice.

Am I right in saying that just have the Network Academy Program cert isn't sufficient in itself if you want to go on and quality for the CCNP?

Incidently, anyone has any views or experience on the CCNP that Blanch IT offer? From everything I have read, this course is also a Network Academy Program in conjunction with Cisco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Feelgood wrote: »
    Good info Paul, though I though the whole idea of the academy was that you sit your CCNA industry cert exam at the end of it?.

The whole idea of the academy is to provide a structured training program for people who already work in a networking role. I was a full time mature computing undergraduate at Sligo IT where there is a Cisco accredited training laboratory.

You do some of the academy program on computing courses at Sligo and if you have the drive you can go on a complete all four semesters if you can beg steal and borrow time in the labs to do it.

The Academy program is designed to give you theoretical and practical experience with routers, switches and cables etc. You are always being tested and there are about 15 tests in each semester.

The Academy is where you prepare for the CNNA exam. After you have done all 4 semesters of the academy you then need to arrange a test at Prometric training centrte to sit the exam. You should get a 50% discount through the college for this. When I did the exam the fee was €130 but i paid €65.

Strictly speaking, the academy and the exam are separate things but they should be considered the same thing as far as you are concerned.

An academy background is worth its weight in gold because it means that you have been taught by experts and worked with real Cisco gear.

If you add the CCNA exam to that it would certainly open up the door to computer networking positions for you but experience is what you need.

Bear in mind that the CCNA exam is designed for people who have been employed in networking for several years. The CCNP is for people who have many many years experience and who are very dedicated to what they do.

There is no point in thinking about a CCNP unless you have the experience.

I came from an electronics background and found the Cisco course really tough but it is doable if you are determined and want to work as a network tech.

Cheers for the advice. Tis really appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

There is a difference between the award Cisco give for completing the cisco course and the CCNA award. The CCNA award is more highly regarded especially as the exam papers for the Cisco award are posted all over the internet 5 minutes after they were created... Go the extra mile and do the exam, thats really what the course is intended for, weel worth it

Advertisement