Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can anyone help.. VW Polo

Options
  • 09-01-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Emmissions light is flashing and my engine is shaking when in idle or slow down on my 03 Polo. Rang VW gargage going to cost € 60 +vat just to see whats wrong:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Take it to a local garage and let them tell you want they think is the problem.. for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

coil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

ehhh does that not tell you summit???

It's a minor numpty little thing!! spark plugs or leads etc or what not cos it's obvious it only takes a min to fix or the bill would be double or treble that with labour costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

polo's are notorious for coil packs going wrong just change the plugs and go from there

TGi666 wrote: »
    polo's are notorious for coil packs going wrong just change the plugs and go from there

Ehh... where did you learn that! the polo hatchbacks are one of the most solid and valued little cars on the road, they will hold their value to no end and even in the state of the irish economy now they are still holding the value cos of reliability!

Only SOME of the VW 1.4 petrol engines were ever diagnosed to have coil faults

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Probably the most common fault in certain VWs resulting in rough running is engine misfire caused by one or more faulty plug leads. Usually if more than one is faulty the engine will not idle at all and siginficant power loss is noticeable. A misfire can cause the emmisions light to come on because the lambda probe reading is continually sending a signal requesting a leaner mixture but the ECU is already mapping the leanest mixture possible so the fault light is triggered.

Be aware that ignoring this fault may damage the catalytic convertor as unburnt petrol is entering the exhaust system.

OP - if you are unsure you are best off having it checked out. If you are not happy with what your main dealer is offering then locate a convenient and reliable independent repairer who will most likely be a damn sight cheaper than the main dealer. Post your general location and someone may be able to recommend a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 In need of help

ehhh does that not tell you summit???

It's a minor numpty little thing!! spark plugs or leads etc or what not cos it's obvious it only takes a min to fix or the bill would be double or treble that with labour costs!

Yeh thats only to hook it to a machine and see whats wrong! Not to fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Its the plug leads or coil. Depends on the model. Take it to a garage, he'll tell you that and quote you for the replacement parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

Ehh... where did you learn that! the polo hatchbacks are one of the most solid and valued little cars on the road, they will hold their value to no end and even in the state of the irish economy now they are still holding the value cos of reliability!

Only SOME of the VW 1.4 petrol engines were ever diagnosed to have coil faults

i know 3people that had the problem on the 1.2's aswell and i love polo's i have a 1.9diesel hatch great car

way i see it is the hatchbacks are great never any bother....

the saloons.... f***in ****e!!

I know cos we always had them in the garage, we'd never see the hatchbacks until they were due a service or tyre change!

• Advertisement

FFS where are you going to get the diagnostics!! Sheehy motors or summit!
    Thats rip off, yeah i know the gear and software cost thousands but you can get diagnostics for half of that! 30 + vat in places, your payin through the nose cos your going to a VW Garage, and you can be sure the labour then is anything from 60-100 per hour if you do go to get the fault fixed!

Tho I'm Ok lol I can get freeee diagonostics

• Registered Users Posts: 13 In need of help

Mines a 1.2 65bhp hatchback! may try a garage out!

Advertisement