Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'slow' lane/inside lane

Options
  • 09-01-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Do drivers not like to think they are 'slow', ie not using the slow lane, is that why they stay in the outside lane, on a primary road, not on a dual or motorway, ie 'slow' does not mean mentally slow?
    Is it time to change slow lane to inside lane, and outside lane to overtaking lane?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

driddler wrote: »
    Do drivers not like to think they are 'slow', ie not using the slow lane, is that why they stay in the outside lane, on a primary road, not on a dual or motorway, ie 'slow' does not mean mentally slow?
    Is it time to change slow lane to inside lane, and outside lane to overtaking lane?

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

What?
    I think what the OP means is that drivers might be afraid to drive in the left-most lane for fear of being considered a 'slow driver'?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,940 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

How many non dual carraigeways/motorways are two lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Not many.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,940 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not many.

The only ones i can think of are roads the have two lanes to facilitate turning (Dundrum/Churchtown has a few) but they wouldn't be 'slow' and 'fast' lanes regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Good few on the old Cashel-Cork N7. I believe Irish signs still call them 'slow lanes' or 'climbing lanes'.

IMO there is only left & right lane & maybe a middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 driddler

I am not talking about dual carriageways or motorways, I am talking about all other major roads in ireland where there is parts of the road that have an extra lane for overtaking, and clearly marked on the road it says slow lane on the inside lane, ronaldo is the dribbler

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

MOD NOTE
    deleted a few nasty remarks ...give the man a chance, he's only new :D

Now ...slow lanes / climbing lanes please ...thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The only ones i can think of are roads the have two lanes to facilitate turning (Dundrum/Churchtown has a few) but they wouldn't be 'slow' and 'fast' lanes regardless.

If you only drive in the cities, you won't see many. But outside, you'll often find climbing lanes, where there is a hill, though only if the road is wide enough to allow three lanes in total. There are hundreds of sections of roads with climbing lanes, all around the country, on pretty much all the national routes.

You can also find plenty of these new "Experimental 2+1" roadways. Pilltown/Fidown bypass outside Waterford City is one, Cahir bypass, on the Waterford road, is another. And yes, the inside lane should not really be called "Slow". I also believe that some motorists have an aversion to driving in it, in case they get labeled "slow". There's a driving lane, and an overtaking lane, not a slow and fast lane, just like a dual-carriageway or motorway.

There should be a sign saying "keep left, except when overtaking", but that would be too much to hope for, I suppose.

Advertisement