Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting hard copy photos to digital

• 09-01-2009 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I want to scan in all the old family photos and I don't think I will get great results using my scanner - and it would probably take an age to do it. Is there anywhere in Dublin that will scan in all your old photos using a high spec scanner?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am assuming you are wanting to scan in Prints.

For general use my scanner in the 3in1 Epson works fine.

Why do you think your scanner is not up to the task?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eilisf

Well, I do want high resolution digital photos but mainly its the time factor, I have hundreds of photos to scan. I have been on UK websites that offer to scan all your photos for a reasonable price but I'm looking for a local option because I don't want to send photos off in the post.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

There are certainly places that will do it.
    You might have more luck if you were scanning from 35mm negatives though.
    It's easier for bulk orders.

Not sure if this is a solution, but a company I worked for used this crowd to scan business documents/images etc.
    http://www.grm.ie/

Whatever you opt for, it aint going to be cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

its something i could do for you

but, to tell you the truth you would be better investing in a better scanner and doing them yourself

even if someone agrress to do them for a small ammount, say 1 euro each, thats still a good chunk of money.

so i think your best bet would be to buy a better scanner and use the money you would pay someone to do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

eilisf wrote: »
    Well, I do want high resolution digital photos but mainly its the time factor, I have hundreds of photos to scan. I have been on UK websites that offer to scan all your photos for a reasonable price but I'm looking for a local option because I don't want to send photos off in the post.....

I have an Agfa scanner and it is very effective for enhancing prints of old photos.

The advantage of scanning them yourself is that you will edit them to record the best and you can choose photo enhancements at the time of scanning.

The recent impetus to record and retain everything has been influenced by digital technology. It can become a burden, I think.

I think a professional scan for negatives is probably still the best option and you can work on copies of the scans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

the answer is NO
    you cant et your old photographs scanned for a small price!! it'd cost a huge amount
    best you can do is buy a good scanner ( look up on the net) get the relations to bear some of the cost, and then every weekend scan a dozen or so til your finished!!
    thers no other way!! really except paying huge money!!
    sorry thats the best bet for you!

Advertisement