Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardies What do you think

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

dont feed the gondolas troll

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mirror wrote: »
    dont feed the gondolas troll

Its okay, the poster has contacted me now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

GoodEnough wrote: »
    Want to know what people think of boards website

Is it a good place for people to voice there opinions

Is it good source of information

Is it that people have nothing better to do

Is it for people to hide when voicing their opinions

Is it just for information more then opinion meaning you cant say what you really want

Or if you have any other reasons why people use Boards

All of the above or none depending on what you want out if it.

Its like reading all the daily papers without actually having to get one. Think the site is the dogs bollix in general.

Me. I tend to read a lot more than post. But when I see some of the post counts here, I cant help picturing 20 odd stone people glued to their seats by their own excrement surrounded by pizza boxes.;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

GoodEnough, can I join your fan club you seem really cool and I love how witty and entertaining your posts are especially your constant digs and sully and boards.ie in general.

You are just sh*t cool!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 GoodEnough

Cabaal wrote: »
    GoodEnough, can I join your fan club you seem really cool and I love how witty and entertaining your posts are especially your constant digs and sully and boards.ie in general.

You are just sh*t cool!

:pac:

Cabaal sorry I dont have a fan club, (my god a Mod with a sense of humour or is it just the waterford mod that has lemon running through his veins) but maybe they should be a thread for witty sarcasm at folk and organisations and this would not be slanderous if theres not already one started i'll start one off and you can let me know if there is already one :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cabaal sorry I dont have a fan club, (my god a Mod with a sense of humour or is it just the waterford mod that has lemon running through his veins) but maybe they should be a thread for witty sarcasm at folk and organisations and this would not be slanderous if theres not already one started i'll start one off and you can let me know if there is already one :D

I don't recall seeing you post in the forum, ever before it was even moderated, nor do I recall any of the mods including me ever interacting with you. Yet you have the cheek to take cheap potshots at us and others who don't agree with you?? Highly ignorant tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »
    I don't recall seeing you post in the forum, ever before it was even moderated, nor do I recall any of the mods including me ever interacting with you. Yet you have the cheek to take cheap potshots at us and others who don't agree with you?? Highly ignorant tbh.

He/She has posted in Waterford city forum according to the post history, but off hands none of the posts seem to be in relation to having a run in with mods.

So basically he/she seems to be trying to defending other people off their own back

Cabaal wrote: »
    He/She has posted in Waterford city forum according to the post history, but off hands none of the posts seem to be in relation to having a run in with mods.

So basically he/she seems to be trying to defending other people off their own back

Not a regular so? Didn't recognise the username!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cabaal sorry I dont have a fan club, (my god a Mod with a sense of humour or is it just the waterford mod that has lemon running through his veins)
    Sully bitter? Ha! That's classic...

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would have taken offense had he mentioned vodka, veins and muffler in the same sentence.

• Advertisement

Vodka's not a manly drink, to be fair.

Would you have been ok with beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Want to know what people think of boards website

Is it a good place for people to voice there opinions

Yes it is, especially when it is within the bounds of what is acceptable, given the litigious nature of the society we live in. Plus, the fact that Boards.ie, not the poster, can be held accountable for everything that is said on this site.
    Is it good source of information

For the most part, yes. But as with everything on the internet, you have to be sure that what you are reading is in fact correct and from a reputable source.
    Is it that people have nothing better to do

No. It can be a place to "hang out" and indulge in a bit of banter, but it can also be a place to discuss a wide range of topics with people who have similar interests.
    Is it for people to hide when voicing their opinions

No, it is very easy to find out who a poster is and where they are posting from.
    Is it just for information more then opinion meaning you cant say what you really want

No.
    Or if you have any other reasons why people use Boards

See above about like-minded individuals. Also, Boards.ie is becoming more and more like a social networking site. The beers are becoming a great way to meet people.

But of course, if a person simply concentrates on one tiny corner of Boards.ie, they tend to become insulated, dare I say narrow minded and somewhat bitter. It could be argued that they don't "get" what the whole of Boards.ie has to offer, they would prefer to stay in their own little insulated corner of the site and kick up a fuss when things don't go their way. This displays a fundamental lack of understanding of what is and is not acceptable on a site as large and prolific as Boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The best thing about this site ,is that people can post like this and get away with it.:)

Imagine what boards would be like if was controlled by BOTS ,it would be pretty miserable to say the least.

Dudess wrote: »
    Would you have been ok with beer?
    Yes as a chaser :D

311 wrote: »
    The best thing about this site ,is that people can post like this and get away with it.:)

Imagine what boards would be like if was controlled by BOTS ,it would be pretty miserable to say the least.
    Yep, some people seem to forget that it is run by those fallible creatures, humans.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Been saying this for a few years now... why do you need a poll? Graph the numbers over time and see if they are going up or down. Are more people posting and reading then last month, and the month before and so on... thats a genuine "poll" because EVERY user is voting with their browser.

Its funny that you should be concerned about the "right" to speak your mind when you cover what you really want to say with this pseudo market research (which appears to have backfired).

DeV.

well said DeVore, at the end of the day people vote with their browsers and boards is as popular as ever :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deiseff

After reading thease last few thrends ill just throw in my opinion,

The mods at times have a diffucult job and majority of posters understand that and there is and will be times when posts will have to be deleted or edited.

However there is a point being made that i think should not be over looked but is. A couple of posters have aired there un happyness at the way the Waterford forum is being moderated and thid should not be ignored. Some have made valid points and given examples.

One thing that happened to me eg. i started a thrend which was locked soon after, before the thrend was locked a moderator had a go at me for posting slanderous comments which in fact wernt slanderous and were confirmed on local radio a short time after??

No appoligy was offered and i was treated with a week bad for showing my contempt at this moderator, cant remember which one it was. The thing that annoyed me was the mod was able to question my character and my comments and accuse me of lying then locked the thrend, This is a public forum which users can read at any time, I had no option to reply and defend myself and my comments. In my opinion this was not good moderation.

There have being also alot of posters displaying there annoyance at the moderators in the Waterford forum so may be there is something to look at.
    Also if you look at the last few thrends its mostly mods posting back, defending themselves and they have that right, but it does seem like if you post in here your opinion will be attacked and all the mods will back each other up, maybe a reason for posters not bothering to post.

Should also say had a few pm with sully and he seems fairly sound and will listen.

Is "thrend" Waterfordian for "thread"?

Dudess wrote: »
    Is "thrend" Waterfordian for "thread"?

Thanks dudess you have just proved my point, you ignore the real issue and attack the poster.

Arnt you supposed to be a mod?

• Advertisement

It wasn't an attack, it was a question. You and another (??) Waterford-based user keep using the word "thrend" when it's surely clear, even to a person who's dyslexic, that the word is "thread".

As for my "ignoring the issue", have a read through two other current Feedback threads focusing on similar concerns and you will see I have contributed detailed posts to both.

And as for my being a mod (although not of this particular forum so that makes me the same as any user here), so?

Same siht different mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

deiseff wrote: »
    Same siht different mod

Thats a pretty nasty comment to make ,among people who are decent enough to deal with you. You just said sully was fairly sound:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

However there is a point being made that i think should not be over looked but is. A couple of posters have aired there un happyness at the way the Waterford forum is being moderated and thid should not be ignored. Some have made valid points and given examples.

To be honest, as somebody who does not frequent the Waterford forum, I have yet to see a valid argument against the moderators. All I have seen are comments regarding Travellers and local businesses, comments which would not be tolerated on other fora on Boards.ie
    No appoligy was offered and i was treated with a week bad for showing my contempt at this moderator, cant remember which one it was. The thing that annoyed me was the mod was able to question my character and my comments and accuse me of lying then locked the thrend, This is a public forum which users can read at any time, I had no option to reply and defend myself and my comments. In my opinion this was not good moderation.

Ok, I accept your point here, but remember, moderators are human too and make mistake. Plus, and I am open to correction here, only one of the current Waterford forum moderators actually lives in Waterford, so there is a possibility that that moderator did not hear the local radio broadcast that added weight to your point and the thread you started.
    There have being also alot of posters displaying there annoyance at the moderators in the Waterford forum so may be there is something to look at.

Again, as an outsider with no connections to either the Waterford forum or Waterford itself, there does appear to be a fundamental lack of comprehension among some posters as to what is and is not acceptable on Boards.ie. Unfounded allegations against businesses are just not on. Bigoted remarks against the Travelling community will not be tolerated in any corner of Boards.ie, plain and simple.

Rational, coherent debate, however, will be tolerated.
    Also if you look at the last few thrends its mostly mods posting back, defending themselves and they have that right, but it does seem like if you post in here your opinion will be attacked and all the mods will back each other up, maybe a reason for posters not bothering to post.

And why do you think that is? Do you think we all know each other and got each other covered? Far from it. I know very few moderators on this site.

It is, however, people such as myself, giving independent viewpoints as to how we would handle a similiar situation in our own fora. It is not some power-tripping agenda, it is adhering to what is considered acceptable on Boards.ie.

Same siht different mod
    But then again thats the joys of being a mod. We are expected to take that from you.

grow a pair.

If you were a regular visitor to the forum you would see the contempt before the mods get to deleted.

Any way i appear to be totally in the wrong here so ill leave ye to it. Not going to spend all day saturday arguing with ye.

enjoy yere moderating and keep up the good stuff:P

We were given two examples. One was the more recent thread about bouncers which went along fine until one poster insisted we name and shame the business. I asked this not be done and explained why. The poster insisted I was wrong in asking that, its only the internet, who cares etc. The poster refused, point blank, to listen to what we were asking him to do. He refused to take it to PM or go to Feedback/Help Desk to make a complaint. This goes back to what you said earlier::
    The mods at times have a diffucult job and majority of posters understand that and there is and will be times when posts will have to be deleted or edited.

We had no choice, to try get back onto the original topic at hand, to request people go back to the point at hand. Its what, as a moderator, we are expected to do. Furthermore, we are here to make sure that the website is safe from legal action and therefore allowing the naming and shaming would mean we failed in what we are expected to do. Those two actions were done by the book. We were fair, gave plenty of room for people to get back on topic and take their complaint elsewhere. They didnt, bans/infractions had to be taken out. Two out of the three users have since held their hands up and agreed they were out of line and are happy with the explanation given. In turn, we understand their concerns and the point they were trying to make but we had to keep the thread on track and away from legal action. So, that situation has been resolved. I dont think any of the mods who took action in that thread were out of line. Often the problem with people is they get heated, angry and see red. The only way, at times, to calm them down is to keep them out of the forum until they calm down otherwise the forum will run riot. One of the 7 day bans have now been reduced to 3 days by the mod who issued them after a discussion was held between the mods and the user in question. A resolution that made everyone happy and all resolved in a few PMs. So thats that example dealt with and I think you will agree that the mods were not heavy handed or wrong in their actions when you see it from our point of view.

The second example was travellers which is the biggest problem the forum has. The users lack of acceptance that you cant say what you want about them or anybody else gives rise to a "Up yours" act towards the mods. Its like spitting in our face really. Its a hot topic because its a big problem in Waterford. This boils down to legal action again and having to listen to Traveller groups on both ends of the stick hassling us for being biased etc. So, by us allowing the conversation but having it balanced is whats allowed. This is the fairest way. We dont and never have said you cant discuss them which people constantly claim we do. Its actually insulting when people come here and make accusations they cant prove or backup. The problem we have is both sides of the stick constantly fight with each other and the threads get out of hand. Often or not, these threads end up getting locked as people cant get along. Again, going back to your first point, its what we have to do as mods. Room is given for the conversation once it remains fair and civil - users refused to listen and the threads ended up being locked. Even with countless warnings given. What exactly do you expect us to do? Leave them create a big mess and make our jobs harder? Leave a big mess which could potentially have traveller groups taking action against Boards? Dont think for one second they wont - they have done before and have sued pubs. And won.

One thing that happened to me eg. i started a thrend which was locked soon after, before the thrend was locked a moderator had a go at me for posting slanderous comments which in fact wernt slanderous and were confirmed on local radio a short time after??

You got infracted for this comment:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57912246&postcount=27

You joined in with other users throwing insults (trying to be intelligent by covering them up, but failing miserably) against travellers. As a forum regular, you will see bans have been issued for that before. In addition, its also very clearly stated in the forum charter that its a no-no. According to the records you were not banned for posting slanderous comments. You were banned for "trolling" on 2008-11-15, 3:31 pm by muffler for 7 days. The ban was in relation to the above post, which I linked, which breaches the forum charter. Refer to your first point. Simply doing our job!

I assume you are referring to something else, because you were not banned for what you are suggesting. By the sounds of things you are referring to this thread you created:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57866110&postcount=4

You were neither infracted or banned for the above post. muffler closed it because he felt you were implying travellers were connected with the incident which no proof was given. That would be slanderous and would get Boards in trouble if in the event it wasn't true. The thread was re-opened a while later after I discussed the background to the situation with muffler and it was stated in the press. You said you had no chance to defend yourself as the thread was locked - well you have been posting away in that thread fine since it was re-opened. I dont believe you contacted me or anyone else regarding your concerns (unless I have forgotten, which is possible!!) about your character being damaged.

Initially, the moderation of the thread was very quick by closing it. A lot of people were peeved that it was locked so soon and felt the moderation was a bit on the harsh side. I fully understand why it was done but I think we will approach it differently next time based on Feedback from the users over PM. :) That does not include the banning/infraction of users for breaking the charter later on in the thread though.

I would really appreciate, and im repeating myself here, that people contacted us with their concerns/feedback/suggestions. We make mistakes. We always work to improve the forum and make it an enjoyable place. We prefer people instead of insulting us actually approached us over PM and gave Feedback. Those who have done so are fully satisfied with how we responded and acted on the Feedback. I would also prefer instead of people saying there is a problem that they took the time to point out where the problem lies and gave proper examples so we can work on it.

Its like going in with a phone to the shop saying its broken. There going to ask what and your going to have to show them. Rather then saying "Phones broke, its crap, cant use it" say "Phones broken. It wont make phone calls, text messages wont send, the internet is broken. Look, see here for your self - Example 1, 2, 3, etc." Shop will respond thanking you, writing a report and send it away to be fixed.

Same here - you cant claim we are to harsh, power mad, forum being over modded etc without showing us exactly how and allowing for an explanation to be given. After that you can suggest how it could have been done differently and see if its possible to do so.
    Should also say had a few pm with sully and he seems fairly sound and will listen.

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

gramlab wrote: »
    All of the above or none depending on what you want out if it.

Its like reading all the daily papers without actually having to get one. Think the site is the dogs bollix in general.

Me. I tend to read a lot more than post. But when I see some of the post counts here, I cant help picturing 20 odd stone people glued to their seats by their own excrement surrounded by pizza boxes.;)
    Can you see into my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    To be honest, as somebody who does not frequent the Waterford forum, I have yet to see a valid argument against the moderators. All I have seen are comments regarding Travellers and local businesses, comments which would not be tolerated on other fora on Boards.ie

As someone who frequents the Waterford forum every day, I have to agree with this. The Waterford forum (and Boards itself) is not over-moderated in any way. The amount of posts there by people who think they can say whatever they like is ridiculous. And then they ruin threads even more by complaining on thread about the mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Can you see into my house?

Tell me where you live and I'll stalk check

Advertisement