Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Found the perfect car.. Opinions please?

Options
  • 09-01-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi guys!

Ok, so for the past while I've been thinking of heading up North to buy a car, and yesterday in the name of checking out a few cars I'd possibly be interested in before heading up North, we went to to see them in reality at a local deal, with the idea of checking them out beforehand anways I found a great car.

It's an 06 Kia Sportage. Now originally I hated them, a few months ago saw one and the interior was horrid to say the least, but this one I saw yesterday is a real beaut.

All elecs, Diesel, Auto, Beige leather interior, privacy glass, low mile (10k!!) - only 1 owner from new - and it should be no trouble verifying the mileage as after enquiring as to who the previous owner was it turns out we know them, and this car would have been the wifes run around for town.

It's immaculate, just like a brand new car, no sign of wear and tear whatsoever, still has that new car smell..

I'm now tempted to ditch the idea of going up North or to England, as

1.) We'll be able to verify the history of the car with a quick phone call to the previous owner

2.) It's in perfect condition, so scratches, dents, interior is as good as new.

3.) It has all the spec we're looking for.

4.) A lot less hassle buying locally

Buuut.. of course the idea that I can get a similar spec car in the UK is still niggling a the back of my mind..

If I could get the dealer down to a good price I think we'd go for it.

But.. what would be a "good" price on this?

The asking is 18.5k on it.

What sort of price should we be haggling him down to?

It would be a straight deal - no trade in.

Cheers all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

is it the 4wd or 2wd model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

boardsie08 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

The asking is 18.5k on it.

What sort of price should we be haggling him down to?

It would be a straight deal - no trade in.

Cheers all!

I'd price it in the UK and add 15%, if you can get it at this price from him buy it, if not head to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I'd price it in the UK and add 15%, if you can get it at this price from him buy it, if not head to the UK.

I'd do the same ...only I'd be adding the actual VRT to it and then some for travelling expenses etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

is it the 4wd or 2wd model?

It's the 2WD - which is grand for us, don't need the 4WD

It's the 2WD - which is grand for us, don't need the 4WD

ok, just asking as the 4wd model is dearer. They are basically a Hyundai Tuscon.

• Advertisement

Just a quick searh on AutoTrader shows up:

(No 2006 models with the spec I'm looking for, but for comparison..)

2005 Sportage:

Approx. £7500 (in Euro 8400)

+ VRT @ E6000

Total = 14,400

Plus extras - if purchased in the North, nothing really except the diesel to get up and down.. If bought in England, say 1,000 for flights and Ferry etc.. sound reasonable?

2008 Sportage:

Price: £11,305 (In Euro 12,700)

+ VRT @ 9000

Total = 21,700

Again, Plus extras - if purchased in the North, nothing really except the diesel to get up and down.. If bought in England, say 1,000 for flights and Ferry etc..

Ok, so not quite comparing like with like here.. any help though for taking the median of the two and trying to figure out what an 06 based on the above should be?

ok, just asking as the 4wd model is dearer. They are basically a Hyundai Tuscon.

Yeah, I know, that's why we're leaning towards the Sportage as it's basically the Tuscon rebadged, except higher spec and lower money.. don't give a damn about the badge really! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

be warned they are just a as one said basically a hyundai tuscon.....

and well hyundais are very very very well known for electrical faults and friggan central locking going wonkey, door actuators, fobs, etc etc

and well hyundais are very very very well known for electrical faults and friggan central locking going wonkey, door actuators, fobs, etc etc

Really? Didn't know that! Thought they were considered ok for the likes of the Santa Fe and the Tuscon at the lower end price range of the market..

That might be something to look into then.

On saying that though, I just thought that Kia stole the design from Hyundai, are the Sportage actually made from Hyundai parts then? I assumed they'd be Kia..

they are siblings companies, hyundai being the parent

no diff to Toyota-Lexus-Daihatzu and VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If it's the car you want in the spec, mileage and condition you like I would go for it, if you are lucky you may tick all those boxes in the UK for a saving, but it is a lot more hassle and effort.

Cheers for that! Didn't know that. More diggin to be done then so!

Btw, forgot to mention; We went to see a BMW X3 yesterday also. Unfortunately they didn't have any second hand X3's in stock (Though the salesman very helpfully suggested that he could import one from the UK for me once I had paid down a deposit beforehand.. :rolleyes: )

Anyways it was an 09 X3, was told it started from 60k upwards.

We sat into it, seemed about the same size as the Sportage, 2.0 Diesel also, but not automatic.

I was very disappointed with it - the interior looked plasticy, felt cheap. The rear seats don't recline and tilt.

The "beige" leather interior looked more lemony yellow than beige. The seats felt harder, not as comfortable. No privacy glass etc..

For the prize I was expecting it to blow the Sportage out of the water, sadly it didn't.

If both were the same price, going on the interior alone I'd put the Sportage WAY ahead of the X3 (NEVER thought I'd say that!!)

Imo the Sportage I was looking at (Top Spec) felt and looked a lot nicer, it had more going for it than the X3.

So anyways, back to the original question.. if asking is 18.5k what should I be looking to haggle down to with a straight deal?

Would 15k be overly optimistic? Or could it even be got for lower considering the way the market is atm?

If it's the car you want in the spec, mileage and condition you like I would go for it, if you are lucky you may tick all those boxes in the UK for a saving, but it is a lot more hassle and effort.

That's what I'm thinking too. It would be a lot of hassle getting flights, possibly a hotel too for a night, driving around roads I haven't a clue about, and possibly having to drive 4+ hours to the ferry, then from Rosslare again..

I've seen a few nice similar Sportages, albeit with black leather interior, kinda sold now on the beige though having seen it in reality..

Big plus too knowing the previous owner so we can verify it's history.

Cheers for that! Didn't know that. More diggin to be done then so!

Btw, forgot to mention; We went to see a BMW X3 yesterday also. Unfortunately they didn't have any second hand X3's in stock (Though the salesman very helpfully suggested that he could import one from the UK for me once I had paid down a deposit beforehand.. :rolleyes: )

Anyways it was an 09 X3, was told it started from 60k upwards.

We sat into it, seemed about the same size as the Sportage, 2.0 Diesel also, but not automatic.

I was very disappointed with it - the interior looked plasticy, felt cheap. The rear seats don't recline and tilt.

The "beige" leather interior looked more lemony yellow than beige. The seats felt harder, not as comfortable. No privacy glass etc..

For the prize I was expecting it to blow the Sportage out of the water, sadly it didn't.

If both were the same price, going on the interior alone I'd put the Sportage WAY ahead of the X3 (NEVER thought I'd say that!!)

Imo the Sportage I was looking at (Top Spec) felt and looked a lot nicer, it had more going for it than the X3.

So anyways, back to the original question.. if asking is 18.5k what should I be looking to haggle down to with a straight deal?

Would 15k be overly optimistic? Or could it even be got for lower considering the way the market is atm?

:eek: STAY AWAY FROM BMW!!! they are an absolute disgrace to the German Motor Manufacturing Industry!! They are a liability not a car!

Cheapest place to buy any car is.... THE AUCTIONS!! cos ppl don't have the money to pay off the car so the fianance companies are taking em back off them and auctioning them.

And the auctions can be alot cheap than the north if you know your business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

The perfect car is....a Kia? lol, get out of it.
    STAY AWAY FROM BMW!!! they are an absolute disgrace to the German Motor Manufacturing Industry!! They are a liability not a car!
    Funny how none of the professional motor press don't share that opinion. Another clueless punter who thinks his experience of a single car is representative of millions of others.

Funny how none of the professional motor press don't share that opinion. Another clueless punter who thinks his experience of a single car is representative of millions of others.

Have you know I know more than most think!! business for near 20 yrs was a garage/car sales ya numpty!

You ring any recovery operator around the cities and you ask them the list of most frequent cars on the back of their truck and they will tell you, BMWs, Fiats, Fords are the top 3!

Also I think You'l find the Officical Motor Press don't review Private Garages, Recovery Operators etc etc they go by Annual Sales of vehicles and friggan poxy 10 min test drives

Lol, I know! Never thought I'd say it myself! Saw a Sportage a few months ago and hated the interior.. looked tack altogether! However this one is top spec, loads of extras, and well for the budget and what I'm looking for.. Damn near perfect! ;)

However... if you'd like to broaden my horizons, looking for a 4X4, Max 2.0 litre, Diesel, Auto would be nice, full leather interior, reclining rear seats, sunroof etc.. would be nice. Must have A/C. What would you recommend with the above for around 15k? And preferably 05 upwards..

Re: Auctions.. yeah I gather there's good deals to be found alright at them, only prob is, I'm nowhere near any of the major car auctions like Merlin, and it'd take a lot of time and hassle going up to the North for them, could get lucky and find just what I'm looking for or could end up being a big waste of time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Have you know I know more than most think!! business for near 20 yrs was a garage/car sales ya numpty!

You ring any recovery operator around the cities and you ask them the list of most frequent cars on the back of their truck and they will tell you, BMWs, Fiats, Fords are the top 3!

Also I think You'l find the Officical Motor Press don't review Private Garages, Recovery Operators etc etc they go by Annual Sales of vehicles and friggan poxy 10 min test drives

I'll just go on the number of respected reliability surveys which put BMW above average. And please don't call me a numpty, I'm highly intelligent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Here we go :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Not really.
    ha-ya-said-what infracted.
    Climate_Expert banned.

Now, kindly stay on topic and keep it civil.

Back on topic.........

This post is simply wrong. I own a Hyundai Tuscon(my wifes), its an 05' , I service it and take care of it for her, It's done over 100kms and nothing has gone wrong bar 1 thing. A wiper motor packed up and was replaced under warranty. No big matter really.
    Its reliable, comfy for these roads and my wife LOVES IT!
    She says she's going to drive it into the ground!
    Don't be afraid of Hyundai's or Kia's - ohhhhhhhhhh, and Btw, I own a Kia Sorrento jeep too for work and its a great 4x4, one of the best, never let me down.
    and I also own a BMW 535D - and my beemer is a legend of a Car. I've had many BmW's and all were excellent.Bm's are the ultimate driving machine. Still, the X3 for me would NOT be a Bm for me, but thats just me.
    Never mind that other stupid post.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Tucson is way different to the Sportage to drive, suspension, steering, and especially gearchange feel completely different.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Tucson is way different to the Sportage to drive, suspension, steering, and especially gearchange feel completely different.

There will be no gear change for the OP, except to slide it into Drive.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh yummy. an automatic Sportage.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

If bought in England, say 1,000 for flights and Ferry etc.. sound reasonable?

Euro 1000?..You flying via Bangkok.:D

I'd run with the uk option..spec and quality cant be matched here.

And its no hassle...its a great day out!
    Best of luck.

Ohhhhhhhhh, i forgot to mention, the Timing belt on the Sportage/Tucson needs doing @ 60k miles......and its a pig of a job.
    Its essential to go main dealer on this and it cost me over €600 all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭TheGreatest

Driving a Hyundai SantaFe since 4 years with not a slightest hassle, only down side is that they are very thirsty when it comes to juice! Most comfortable car I ever drove. If Kia Sportage is as good as SantaFe then go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Hope this isn't for your Learner Driver Daughter :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement